Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I become an officer in any department if I can't run more than a mile?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I become an officer in any department if I can't run more than a mile?

I have an exercised induced injury called chronic exertional compartment syndrome in both legs. It was caused by overuse due to running and currently prevents me from running even a mile at this point. I got medically discharged from the Marines due to it as well. I'm still in exceptionally good shape, it's just so painful to run and my leg gives out when running. I don't have the endurance that I used to have either since I can't train for it. I didn't go through with the surgery since I was already discharged from the Marines and felt it was a waste. However, I don't want to give up on a law enforcement career. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

However, I don't want to give up on a law enforcement career.
    How are walking, standing, climbing stairs, etc?

If it's strictly a running issue you might be able to work in detentions or corrections depending on the department.

If there is a surgery or procedure to correct it, why not have it? When I broke my back I ended up having a spine fusion and was medically retired from the Army. While it took a while to recover and get back up to speed I was able to do so and got hired in LE.

If you CAN get yourself fixed, get fixed. Then get rehabilitated. Then apply with no worries.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

In the state of Iowa you would need to meet the standards which include a 1.5 mile run in a certain time.
      Failure to meet the time would preclude you from attending the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy and thus you could not be a police officer in the state of Iowa.

There are no waivers, exceptions or fudging. You either pass the run or you are not going to be hired.

The times are listed on the page below
      https://ileatraining.org/default.asp...Group/Home.htm
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I can't imagine any state certifying agency not having a run requirement. I don't see any way around it other than by a legal challenge.

Comment

I can't imagine any state certifying agency not having a run requirement.
          No physical fitness requirements at the state level in Colorado.

Most agencies have them, however there are a few that don't.

The problem is you just couldn't do the job if you were that limited, and any academy is going to have running as part of it's PT program to SOME extent.

Get fixed. Get better. Then apply.
          Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

The problem is you just couldn't do the job if you were that limited, and any academy is going to have running as part of it's PT program to SOME extent.
            Although not "required" and definitely NOT timed for score-----------on the 2nd week before graduation the class (and instructors) completes a 6 mile run as a team.

Needless to say the PT instructors have been working the class toward this milestone throughout the course
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

How are you going to function on patrol? What if you have to run? How can your partner count on you? That's a huge issue. Forget ANY special teams or units.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yup...look past the academy. Foot pursuits, sprinting up apartment staircases, sprinting through a school to an active assailant, tracking with a K9.....a lot of our job is faster than walking. Think not of yourself, think of who could be partnered up with you.

Comment

The guy says he can't run over a mile. If you're doing foot pursuits that long, you're doing it wrong (or you're in Alaska, in which case, carry on).

OP, you'll just have to shop around. Most states have a minimum physical agility test score to get certified, and then individual departments can use those or make them harder. However, apparently there are some that don't and if you're willing to move for the job, maybe you can find one. I'll be Debbie Downer for a minute, though, and suggest you have a solid back up plan, because the number of slots you'll find will likely be pretty limited.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                    The guy says he can't run over a mile. If you're doing foot pursuits that long, you're doing it wrong (or you're in Alaska, in which case, carry on).
                    I've had two go almost half a mile, and that was wearing a wool uniform, vest, and 25 pounds of bat-belt. If this guy can't make a mile in sweats, can he make half a mile with all that crap on.. then be ready to fight once he gets there?

Comment

As stated, you're not likely to find many, if any, opportunities as a city, county, or state police officer. It is possible that there may be some investigative jobs at the federal level that you'd be able to get, especially with your prior military experience. Take a look at http://www.usajobs.gov.
                      "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

I'm more optimistic. We had an ex-SEAL go through the Academy & 2 weeks before graduation he blew out his ACL. The instructor told him to go home, he'd be recycled. The next day he's standing in formation, told the SGT he was going to graduate & wasn't about to start over again. Stupidly (?) they let him go through. He made it. If hen do it, you can too! Good luck!

Comment

I was in a two mile foot pursuit through the woods a couple weeks ago... It's a normal occurance when you work for a rural Sheriff's Office.

Comment

If I received your application I would run it by HR and the city/county attorney but ALL the agencies I worked for had physical requirements that would negate me even considering you.
                            Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                            “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                            “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                            "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                            ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Alabama has the same running requirement as Iowa, and grants NO waivers or exceptions. I'd urge you to take another look at "tanksoldier's" reply. There is your answer in a nutshell.

Having a few surgeries under my belt, with one more pending, I can tell you they are not risk free. That said, if surgery to correct your problem is an option, my thought is go for it. Best of luck whatever choice you make, and thanks for your service.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5826 users online. 332 members and 5494 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X