X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanitizer
    replied
    Originally posted by ateamer View Post
    We cannot keep, nor buy, our issued badge. It will be reissued to someone else. About every four years, our badge numbers to change to reflect seniority, and we all exchange badges with each other.
    Are honorably retired Deputies issued a Retirement badge along with an ID card?
    Last edited by sanitizer; 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    We cannot keep, nor buy, our issued badge. It will be reissued to someone else. About every four years, our badge numbers to change to reflect seniority, and we all exchange badges with each other.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    When I retired at the State DOC I was offered either my badge or a gaudy "Retired" badge (nasty enameled colored POS ) I chose to keep my issued badge

In most places in Iowa badges are re-issued upon the retirement of an officer ---almost all agencies allow officers to buy second badges

When I was a deputy we were issued 3 badges (hat, breast and wallet) that had to be returned but I bought a second breast badge which I still have 30 yrs later.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-16-2014, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Originally posted by sanitizer View Post
    That's why I mentioned Badges and not Shields.

Seriously, are NYPD shields re-issued once a member honorably retires or leaves the job?
    Ours are also. Only issued one and have to turn that back or you don't get a retired star or ID card. Had to turn in my P/O star when we made Detective and got issued a Dic's star , with a new number series (ours go a certain series for ranks, P/O, Sgt, Dic, etc.). My P/O star was reissued, don't know if the Dic's star was reissued yet.

Try to turn in a dupe at retirement and a complaint register on you means retiring under investigation, no ret. star, no ret. ID, no hb 218 carry for you.
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 08-16-2014, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Can NYPD purchase their department issued service firearm at a discount after retirement?
    In short, they get to keep it.

My comment regarding "common knowledge" was intended to mean those within the NYPD.
    Last edited by GoldBadge; 08-09-2014, 08:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sanitizer
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
    Many, but not all federal agencies, allow their retiring agents to purchase a "Retired" shield to go with their issued retired creds.

Sanitizer, it's pretty common knowledge (even within IAB) that most NYPD cops buy dupes that are slightly smaller than the issued NYPD "tin." Only the issued shield properly fits the mold that SFC referenced.
    I never received the memorandum on the west coast. However every retired east coast cop I’ve met had a shield, the subject of authenticity was never discussed; I assumed it was department issued as a token of appreciation for years of honorable service.

Can NYPD purchase their department issued service firearm at a discount after retirement?
    Last edited by sanitizer; 08-09-2014, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    I thought the Feds didn't allow "dupe" fed tins.
    Many, but not all federal agencies, allow their retiring agents to purchase a "Retired" shield to go with their issued retired creds.

Sanitizer, it's pretty common knowledge (even within IAB) that most NYPD cops buy dupes that are slightly smaller than the issued NYPD "tin." Only the issued shield properly fits the mold that SFC referenced.

Leave a comment:

• So Fla Cop
    replied
    Well at least their gold retirement watches are authentic, right?
    No..knockoffs from Chinatown.

Leave a comment:

• So Fla Cop
    replied
    Meet NYPD.

They have to return their issued shield, but most cops had "dupes" made and they keep those.
    There is no such thing as a "dupe". Your shield has to fit the mold when you turn it in. I thought the Feds didn't allow "dupe" fed tins.

Leave a comment:

• sanitizer
    replied
    Yes
    I wasn’t aware NYPD turns in their badges or carry dupes, at least their gold retirement watches are authentic, right?

As I mentioned previously, I was allowed to retain my badges. I was also issued a flat retired badge in a leather case, later on an engraved plaque. Other than the badge I carry, the others are part of my personal collection stored in a safe as family heirlooms to be passed to the next generation as my father’s badges were passed down to me.
    Last edited by sanitizer; 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Seriously, are NYPD shields re-issued once a member honorably retires or leaves the job?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• sanitizer
    replied
    Meet NYPD.

They have to return their issued shield, but most cops had "dupes" made and they keep those.
    That's why I mentioned Badges and not Shields.

Leave a comment:

• kermit315
    replied
    I ordered a second badge to keep on a leather badge holder/clip, so I could leave my issued one on my uniform. My problem with it is that the design doesnt match my original (like the new one is an upgrade). I dont use it often enough to worry about it, and I have ID (which is what really matters anyway), so I never did anything about it.

We have an optional badge that we can order also, round with our names on it....I think I may order one of those and just use that, and keep the other one in a drawer.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    I’ve never known of honorably retired officers not given their badges or a deceased officer’s family having to return one.
    Meet NYPD.

Leave a comment:

• sanitizer
    replied
    Throughout my career and upon retirement I was allowed to retain my badges, also issued a flat retired badge in a leather case.

I have about two dozen badges either issued to me, belonged to family members or received as gifts. Most have a badge number all have Department and rank some State Seals, however no serial numbers.

I’ve never known of honorably retired officers not given their badges or a deceased officer’s family having to return one.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5626 users online. 341 members and 5285 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X