300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Possession Badge

Hello officers, I'm trying to find and understand laws concerning Civilian possession of badges whether Real, Fake/Prop, or Collector.
    Also about transporting it from state to state. More specifically state-wise: Arkansas, New York, Missouri, New Jersey.

Why do I ask? Well, at one point in time my then-stepdad (we're no longer on good terms) got me a badge knowing I was interested in police stuff. Although he said it's real I'm not sure and unfortunately don't recall any of the info on it. Also have no idea if he once had family that worked police work. All I now is that it's currently in storage states away as we had to move twice or so for my mom's work.

Unless your showing it and telling people your a police officer i see no issues.Whats in the box stays in the box.

Comment

Uhhhh.... I highly doubt it's a real badge.

Real badges are relatively hard to come by, as they are typically serialized and very strictly controlled. Many badges issued upon retirement are embedded in lucite or turned into plaques of some sort.

Comment

Not really.I have multiple ones ive ordered myself either online or from suppliers where i buy uniforms.Sadly you dont have to have ID to order and buy a badge at most places.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
          Real badges are relatively hard to come by, as they are typically serialized and very strictly controlled. Many badges issued upon retirement are embedded in lucite or turned into plaques of some sort.
          Absolutely no truth to this statement in most states. Serialized?? About five of my thirty badges have any type of number on them, the rest have the state seal, the department name and rank (some have patrolman, some deputy, a couple of sergeant and a couple of chief).

Having a badge encased in lucite is a great idea and it covers your butt, classifying it as a collectible item instead of something you can impersonate with.

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
          Not really.I have multiple ones ive ordered myself either online or from suppliers where i buy uniforms.Sadly you dont have to have ID to order and buy a badge at most places.
          Sad, but absolutely true.

Last edited by slamdunc; 08-05-2014, 08:29 PM.
          “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Ask Monty about getting his Badges.Bet he orders his also

Comment

Well, where I'm from the badges are controlled items and if you don't turn it in upon retirement/separation, there's a problem.

Comment

Just say you lost it, fill out the report, and your GTG...
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
                  Well, where I'm from the badges are controlled items and if you don't turn it in upon retirement/separation, there's a problem.
                  Is that by agency policy, ordinance or statute? I can go to any local police supply or on line and order pretty much any badge (except federal) I want. I resigned from my first agency three years ago and I have seven badges from there two with my ID number, three with my name and two that just say deputy sheriff; none are in lucite.

I only had to turn in one badge and that was from Union Pacific Railroad of all places. I went to the police supply place in my home town five years later and ordered one just like it; no questions asked. I don't agree with the way this is, but it is still this way.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I got to thinking ,I actually ordered my first badge ever here thru officer.com .Been awhile but i still have the badge on my heavy coat.

http://www.officer.com/product/10165...-custom-badges
                    Last edited by jdthor; 08-05-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                      Is that by agency policy, ordinance or statute? I can go to any local police supply or on line and order pretty much any badge (except federal) I want. I resigned from my first agency three years ago and I have seven badges from there two with my ID number, three with my name and two that just say deputy sheriff; none are in lucite.
                      And I can find most federal badges online, "replicas" of course, but full size and metal.
                      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Our badges are custom and cannot be ordered from Galls, etc. They are serialized. You can buy two extra, including a flat wallet badge. Your issue badge remains city property, but as long as you retire on good terms you can keep the ones you purchased.

When I became a detective I had to turn in my issue, and I grabbed the one I'd bought for my coat not realizing that they would demand the original one back, as the serial numbers didn't match if they got my private purchase one.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I did a short federal criminal investigation involving the sale of real or real looking badges to members of the public. The bottom line was that if the civilian simply possesses the badge as a collector item and doesn't display it to impersonate a cop or agent, there is no crime.
                          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I have had a badge for about 20 years that was given to me in elementary school by a family friend who knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. Growing up, it was on my wall. In all my travels, it was packed away in a box. When I got issued mine, I dug it out, took a picture of the two of them, tracked down his email dress (he's now retired), sent him the picture, and said, "Got one of my own. Thanks!"
                            "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Nice move!
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5367 users online. 299 members and 5068 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X