300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a total hip replacement disqualify your from being a cop

Hello all as some May know I want to start a career in law enforcement I'm 26 and plan to start the process soon. The reason I'm waiting a few months is I was born with a bad hip and at the end of September I need a total hip replacement now my doctor is assuring me that once I get the surgery I'll be as good as new. However I'm scared that this will disqualify me from becoming a cop even if I can pass all the pt test. I'm more scared about the medical exam. Does anyone know if this will keep me from getting a job?

Thanks
    Brian

For the most part if you can complete (and pass) the physical assessment in the testing process you should have no problems
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Ok now when you say physical assessment do you mean the physical agility test ( the sit and reach, the mile and half run the push up's ect) or do you mean the physical exam with the doctor/ orthopedic because the PAT test I'm not worried about I'm worried about getting threw the whole process the PAT test the written test the oral bored the poly test background check and than go to my physical exam with the doc and that have him tell me I won't be able to perform my duties as a cop and fail me. When you meet with these doctors for the physical exam what exactly does it entail what do you do/ look for

Comment

One of my guys had a total replacement at 36. He's fine and still plays ice hockey several days a week.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          For the most part if you can complete (and pass) the physical assessment in the testing process you should have no problems
          Originally posted by B16bri View Post
          Ok now when you say physical assessment do you mean the physical agility test ( the sit and reach, the mile and half run the push up's ect) or do you mean the physical exam with the doctor/ orthopedic because the PAT test I'm not worried about I'm worried about getting threw the whole process the PAT test the written test the oral bored the poly test background check and than go to my physical exam with the doc and that have him tell me I won't be able to perform my duties as a cop and fail me. When you meet with these doctors for the physical exam what exactly does it entail what do you do/ look for
          I didn't stutter...............
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That's funny because I play hockey and I haven't been able to due to the hip and the doctor said I would be able to after the surgery. However this guy you speak of was already a cop prior the surgery correct ? If he wasn't just a recruit applying would he still be give the same chance if he didn't had this procedure ? Thanks again for everyone feed back

Comment

They are saying that if you can pass the physical fitness test you will likely be cleared during the medical evaluation.
              “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

I work with a guy that has a total replacement and he can do his job just fine. It has been stated above already, but once again, if you can pass the physical and medical testing phases you should be good to go.

Comment

You'd be fine hear as long as you can pass the agility test and the range of motion tests in your physical. I went through the academy with a guy with a prosthetic leg above the knee. He struggled with one part of the agility test but ultimately passed and went on to work in LE for a few years before taking a better offer in the private sector.
                  Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

Comment

I agree with the others, as long as you can pass the PT/PAT you probably aren't going to have any issues.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4105 users online. 241 members and 3864 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X