Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt, Don't know too much about PE in high school, it's been over fifty years. That said, physical conditioning is a plus in any occupation, but an absolute MUST in this profession. Keep that in mind as you progress toward your career. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by matt_m View Post
      I'll start running soon if that's the case, don't think my cardio is the best at the moment when it comes to running.
      Dude, that's even more of a reason to get out there and start running now.

Do you know how long it took me to "run" 1.5 miles? Over 20 minutes and I thought I was going to die when I stumbled into my apartment. Keep in mind this was despite the fact that I would spend 30 to 60 minutes riding a bike about five times a week for several months prior. The bike did not prepare me the challenges I would face running.

I kept at it, made realistic goals, did research on how to improve (protip: intervals), wore proper footwear, and took breaks when I thought my body needed rest or forced me to (shin splints = no bueno). When I did my very first and only police department test about a year later in December of 2012, I ran the 1.5 mile in roughly 10:30. While I did take a break from running due to the weather this last winter I started running again when I advanced to the background process this last February. Now, after several months and in my early thirties, I am close to being back to where I was when I tested in '12. While I enjoy running, I still need to force myself out there.

If an older dude like myself can do that you will be doing a 1.5 mile run in 9 minutes in no time. As a bonus, by the time you do test with a department and start the academy, running won't be something you force yourself to do, it will be part of your life style.
      Last edited by Gradient Shift; 07-12-2014, 03:55 PM.
      “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

BTW, don't just train to 1.5 mile run. My running advice is start low (1 mile will work) and increase to at least double whatever is required at a rate of no more than 10% each week when you can run the entire distance without stopping and feeling like you are going to die afterward.

I mentioned interval running above, do it, it helps a lot. There are a lot of phone apps out there that will help you manage your interval runs and log your runs in general; personally, I use Endomondo. There was some research that intervals of 30 seconds walking, 20 seconds jogging, 10 seconds sprinting is the best training interval program to use. You want to feel absolutely exhausted immediately after an interval run, but it shouldn't follow you around for too long afterward.
        “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Matt, Don't know too much about PE in high school, it's been over fifty years. That said, physical conditioning is a plus in any occupation, but an absolute MUST in this profession. Keep that in mind as you progress toward your career. Best of luck.
          For sure Philip (Assuming your name IS Philip), I'm well aware of that, I was basically checking about how it looks on paper; obviously from the posts most recruiters don't even check your highschool transcripts. Thanks
          Last edited by matt_m; 07-12-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
            BTW, don't just train to 1.5 mile run. My running advice is start low (1 mile will work) and increase to at least double whatever is required at a rate of no more than 10% each week when you can run the entire distance without stopping and feeling like you are going to die afterward.

I mentioned interval running above, do it, it helps a lot. There are a lot of phone apps out there that will help you manage your interval runs and log your runs in general; personally, I use Endomondo. There was some research that intervals of 30 seconds walking, 20 seconds jogging, 10 seconds sprinting is the best training interval program to use. You want to feel absolutely exhausted immediately after an interval run, but it shouldn't follow you around for too long afterward.
            Sweet, good tips. I'll take a look at that app. Back in grade 9 when I didn't exercise whatsoever I ""ran"" (Double quoting because you also quoted ran) a mile in 13 minutes, which i'm sure I could have done better I just really didn't care to do so. Now I'm guessing I could do it in about 10 minutes or so. I'll look back on your posts when I start going for some runs just as a refresher. That's right, I won't train for simply 1.5, I would like to aim towards 5K that way whatever the test is should be a joke.

Comment

Matt, since we're getting specific here, long, long ago when I decided to pursue LE as a career I set several goals for myself. I was considerably bigger than you, but the point is, IMO you need to up your goals. Your 1.5 mile run, IMO< should be somewhere between 8.5 & 10 mins flat. your sit-ups & push-ups should be in the 30-35/min. range & your bench should be about 80% or more of your weight. Plan on being able to run an obstacle course which usually means a 6' wall, horizontal ladder, tire obstacles & perhaps a weight drag, usually somewhere around 180lbs. This will all be in addition to your physical test, so you see the need for conditioning.
              I'm not trying to scare you into anything, only let you know what to expect. I had a good friend several years ago that asked me to help him train for our OD testing. He did pretty well in the running but grossly lacked upper body strength & coordination to negotiate an obstacle course. If it were me, I check with the PD, see what their requirements are & at least try to excede them by about 50%. That way when you get to your Oral & if they ask "How did you prepare to get on the Dept.?" you'll have a very specific response &, with a little luck, your PT scores will prove it. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                Matt, since we're getting specific here, long, long ago when I decided to pursue LE as a career I set several goals for myself. I was considerably bigger than you, but the point is, IMO you need to up your goals. Your 1.5 mile run, IMO< should be somewhere between 8.5 & 10 mins flat. your sit-ups & push-ups should be in the 30-35/min. range & your bench should be about 80% or more of your weight. Plan on being able to run an obstacle course which usually means a 6' wall, horizontal ladder, tire obstacles & perhaps a weight drag, usually somewhere around 180lbs. This will all be in addition to your physical test, so you see the need for conditioning.
                I'm not trying to scare you into anything, only let you know what to expect. I had a good friend several years ago that asked me to help him train for our OD testing. He did pretty well in the running but grossly lacked upper body strength & coordination to negotiate an obstacle course. If it were me, I check with the PD, see what their requirements are & at least try to excede them by about 50%. That way when you get to your Oral & if they ask "How did you prepare to get on the Dept.?" you'll have a very specific response &, with a little luck, your PT scores will prove it. Good Luck!
                Hey there. I actually just tested myself yesterday to get an idea of where I'm at with things. I was able to go above and beyond what you mentioned with the pushups, situps, and bench for my weight. I have no troubles pulling myself up from places, upper body strength is where I excel compared to legs. I'm not sure how I would do on the weight drag though, haven't tested myself there yet. There is always improvements to be made though, so I'll get that even higher. I will definitely go to the PD to get the requirements, I'm gonna be there in a couple months every day for school (Hopefully!) so I'll get a chance. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5833 users online. 352 members and 5481 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X