Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is P.E in highschool necessary?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is P.E in highschool necessary?

    Hello, I'm going into grade 12 this year and my future career interest is - of course - being a police officer. I only took gym in grade 9 because it was a mandatory class, I don't actually have much interest in the class itself and haven't took it at all since. Now with fitness I can keep myself "in shape" at home. I bike 5-10 minutes hard 4 times per day to school and back which may not be much.. Also if I don't get a job offer when school starts or before, then i'll be biking 20 minutes to co-op at the police station, and 20 minutes back. I also workout at home sometimes, and have the opportunity to get a gym membership. Alright well that was just some background; on to the main question. As I said I took Physical education back in grade 9 and not since, and people are telling me I should consider taking it in grade 12 if I want to become a police officer, because on paper if it shows I haven't taken gym at all since grade 9 they may skip over me and just think i'm possibly at home eating some fatty food as they read my application. I would prefer not to take gym, but if it will really help me out in the process of being a police officer then of course i'll have to re-do my classes at the beginning of the year in order to fit gym in.
    So with all of that said, what do you think? I'm going to college in just over a year for law and security, I'm signed up for co-op at the city police station for grade 12, and I'm not really worried about failing the PREP or any of that if I don't take gym. I'm not fat at all.. but it's mainly about what they think about it on paper and me hopefully getting a call for an interview when the time comes. Is P.E necessary as a highschool course in grade 12. Thanks
    Last edited by matt_m; 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM.

  • #2
    NO ONE is going to look at your high school transcripts. Being in shape IS very important, but there are a million better ways to do that than a high school gym class. Riding a bike is a good start, but adding running and weight lifting into your life will get you into the shape you need to be in. You still have another year of high school left, and then 4 to 5 years of college after that. Start training right now, and you'll be in great shape when the time comes to start applying. You won't regret it!

    Comment


    • #3
      Physical fitness is extremely important.*

      *In law enforcement, not P.E. All we did in gym my senior year was play basketball every single day.

      Start researching how to start getting in to GOOD shape. What you're doing now is not enough, but that's okay. You've got plenty of time, but it's never too early to start building good habits.

      Comment


      • #4
        You know some schools have BANNED dodge ball? No joke.
        “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

        Comment


        • #5
          Hell, dodge ball should be mandatory. You can develop some great reflexes, speed and the right mindset to win. And you don't need to wait a couple months for a report ccard, either. That big red welt on your face pretty much says D-minus or F, amIright?
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

          I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ateamer View Post
            Hell, dodge ball should be mandatory. You can develop some great reflexes, speed and the right mindset to win. And you don't need to wait a couple months for a report ccard, either. That big red welt on your face pretty much says D-minus or F, amIright?

            They should make dodgeball part of the PFT. I know of at least 2 guys that I was in the academy with that would have been weeded out. I strongly suspect now that they are somewhere licking rocks as we speak.....

            Comment


            • #7




              nuff said
              Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
                You know some schools have BANNED dodge ball? No joke.
                I got volleyball banned in my HS, no joke. I'm a pretty large guy, about 6'5 245, even in HS. I went up to spike the ball and the way I hit it in angled directly square into this girls face, and she blacked out for 15 seconds or so. I was always the kid pretending it was the Olympics in PE class.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't believe I actually read the original post. Dodge ball was the best part of gym.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ah, what? (can I answer this without getting band) no probably not....
                    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ABSOLUTELY! Between the Academy & your actual assignment you'll be required to demonstrate some level of physical conditioning. Plus stats have shown an in-shape LEO is less likely to be assaulted, lives longer & (like it or not) appearence plays into getting promoted. Your fellow LEOs will expect you to carry your own weight in terms of handling combative situations & failing to be able to is a quick way to be "black balled". Police work takes a physical & psychological toll on you over the years & you need to be able to deal with it. Take your PE class, continue the regimen after school & even while you're on the job. I've been in LE 35+ years now & still go to the gym 3-5 times a week. I can guarantee you the criminals are working out in the jails & prisons & they're not doing it for fun......

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sixersfan View Post
                        NO ONE is going to look at your high school transcripts. Being in shape IS very important, but there are a million better ways to do that than a high school gym class. Riding a bike is a good start, but adding running and weight lifting into your life will get you into the shape you need to be in. You still have another year of high school left, and then 4 to 5 years of college after that. Start training right now, and you'll be in great shape when the time comes to start applying. You won't regret it!
                        Thanks. Yes I know this is important, the main question was about P.E being on paper. Biking is really only for my cardio, and a bit of legs - though i know biking isn't the best for building legs especially when you're riding on the road. I do have a bench, free weight rack, ez-curl bar and some dumbbells for working out at home, I can do 30-50 pushups randomly.. most I've done was 70, and I believe I can go a while with sit-ups, haven't really counted though. I only actually have 3-4 years until I go applying seeing as one more year of H.S as you said, and then 2 years of law and security in college.. I couldn't get into the gym too much at the beginning of the year, but I'll have to start up again sometime. I'm only 125 pounds, being 5'7-5'9, somewhere in between there, but I look like I am a bit more than that. anytime somebody asks they are surprised I am 125, but I would obviously like to bring that weight up.. hoping i'm not done growing yet. Plus I wouldn't consider myself weak by any means, I'm not sure why the number is so low lol.
                        Oh.. and to the others, I never said anything about dodge ball lol, not sure why that seems to be the main topic on this thread; you guys can have your own fun though
                        Last edited by matt_m; 07-12-2014, 10:52 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                          ABSOLUTELY! Between the Academy & your actual assignment you'll be required to demonstrate some level of physical conditioning. Plus stats have shown an in-shape LEO is less likely to be assaulted, lives longer & (like it or not) appearence plays into getting promoted. Your fellow LEOs will expect you to carry your own weight in terms of handling combative situations & failing to be able to is a quick way to be "black balled". Police work takes a physical & psychological toll on you over the years & you need to be able to deal with it. Take your PE class, continue the regimen after school & even while you're on the job. I've been in LE 35+ years now & still go to the gym 3-5 times a week. I can guarantee you the criminals are working out in the jails & prisons & they're not doing it for fun......
                          That's right, without a doubt physical appearance plays a roll in life and the job. I'll have to work on it, as I said to the guy above I couldn't get into the gym at the beginning of this year, I couldn't lift as much as I could at home, I prefer to workout by myself.. I'll do my stuff at home, and when I get more comfortable I'll switch to the gym! I'm basically speaking aloud. Thanks for the reply
                          Last edited by matt_m; 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by matt_m View Post
                            Oh.. and to the others, I never said anything about dodge ball lol, not sure why that seems to be the main topic on this thread; you guys can have your own fun though
                            Most people have fond memories of dodgeball in P.E. class. It was the great equalizer. Teams were randomly picked/assigned. You didn't need to be fast on your feet, jump high, or even have super quick reflexes. I can remember many a games during my youth where some of the least athletic kids were playground hero's for the day/week because of their save in a game.

                            Dodgeball is relevant because dodgeball is awesome. Full stop.


                            I would suggest you run periodically. When I first start training a few years ago I was using a bike for cadrio and it was ok, but it was nothing compared to actually running; human kinetics while running is vastly different than while on a bike. You may also have a period where various parts of your anatomy (i.e., ankles, shins, calves) will really hurt after running. Sometimes these issues only present themselves after spending some time running and then take time to go away. It is best you jump that hurdle now while you have the time and youth so as to prevent getting knocked out of a test/academy due to an injury down the road.

                            Take myself for example, while I am waiting for my academy to begin I have been pushing myself to get my running back to where it was a year and a half ago when I tested. After months of running only recently did I stop having discomfort in my ankles after running over 3 miles. This is crucial for myself because the academy I will be attending is very physical and fitness is paramount, especially running. After all, they have a sign hanging up which reads, "If you choose law enforcement you lose the right to be unfit" and requires all officers to pass an annual fitness test.

                            If you have enough weight equipment at home to meet your needs, consider getting a program like P90X, Body Beast, or similar instead of getting a gym membership. Some gyms are either more expensive than your actual needs and/or give members a hard time when attempting to cancel their membership. I work out at home and am in decent shape; I can do over 100 consecutive push-ups, 55 sit-ups in a minute, 25 consecutive pull-ups, etc. I don't have a bench-press at home, but from using a friends I know I can do well over my body weight. The only equipment I have is a pull-up bar, a workout bench, adjustable free weights that go from 5 to 52.5 lbs, and a DVD player.

                            Oh, the department I will be starting the academy for did not look at my high school transcripts, and did not care that I had zero P.E. credits during college. I passed their physical fitness test and that is what they cared about.

                            Best of luck.
                            “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
                              Most people have fond memories of dodgeball in P.E. class. It was the great equalizer. Teams were randomly picked/assigned. You didn't need to be fast on your feet, jump high, or even have super quick reflexes. I can remember many a games during my youth where some of the least athletic kids were playground hero's for the day/week because of their save in a game.

                              Dodgeball is relevant because dodgeball is awesome. Full stop.


                              I would suggest you run periodically. When I first start training a few years ago I was using a bike for cadrio and it was ok, but it was nothing compared to actually running; human kinetics while running is vastly different than while on a bike. You may also have a period where various parts of your anatomy (i.e., ankles, shins, calves) will really hurt after running. Sometimes these issues only present themselves after spending some time running and then take time to go away. It is best you jump that hurdle now while you have the time and youth so as to prevent getting knocked out of a test/academy due to an injury down the road.

                              Take myself for example, while I am waiting for my academy to begin I have been pushing myself to get my running back to where it was a year and a half ago when I tested. After months of running only recently did I stop having discomfort in my ankles after running over 3 miles. This is crucial for myself because the academy I will be attending is very physical and fitness is paramount, especially running. After all, they have a sign hanging up which reads, "If you choose law enforcement you lose the right to be unfit" and requires all officers to pass an annual fitness test.

                              If you have enough weight equipment at home to meet your needs, consider getting a program like P90X, Body Beast, or similar instead of getting a gym membership. Some gyms are either more expensive than your actual needs and/or give members a hard time when attempting to cancel their membership. I work out at home and am in decent shape; I can do over 100 consecutive push-ups, 55 sit-ups in a minute, 25 consecutive pull-ups, etc. I don't have a bench-press at home, but from using a friends I know I can do well over my body weight. The only equipment I have is a pull-up bar, a workout bench, adjustable free weights that go from 5 to 52.5 lbs, and a DVD player.

                              Oh, the department I will be starting the academy for did not look at my high school transcripts, and did not care that I had zero P.E. credits during college. I passed their physical fitness test and that is what they cared about.

                              Best of luck.
                              Right on.. I was pretty good at dodge ball myself back in grade school. I appreciate the reply, it's more of the position I'm in. I like to workout at home, also I looked at body beast before but I don't have a place I can mount a pull-up bar anywhere in the house, and don't have the room for some of the required equipment. I have my own workout schedule made up though. My dad was a body builder for 13+ years and scored third in a competition back in the day, so he helped hook one up. I'll start running soon if that's the case, don't think my cardio is the best at the moment when it comes to running. Thanks for the help and input

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3907 users online. 252 members and 3655 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X