300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal question from a FF/EMT

I have been tossing this question around, and really can't find anything on this so I figured one of you might be able to help me a little with my inquiry.

I am a relatively new Rhode Island Firefighter/EMT, and I was considering getting an automatic knife for work, but wanted to get the ' boots on the ground' opinion from those who are actually in charge of enforcing the laws-- who I might actually be working alongside.

As I read the Rhode Island statute, autos are allowed concealed if under 3" and any length if not concealed; and not in a restricted 'type' (ie: daggers). But the line goes fuzzy as to what is considered 'concealed' vs 'open' and that bit.

The only reason I am considering an auto is because I need something I can deploy quickly with one hand and with heavy gloves on-- I don't want to carry a Ka-Bar strapped to my thigh, and regular thumb studs are out of the question.

I looked around and couldn't find anything under 3" that has a decent button to it, so that's why I am deferring to you as to 'concealed' vs 'open'. Is clipped to the inside of your pocket considered 'open' enough-- I can't carry it outwards since I need to make sure a combative pt can't grab it.

I mean I don't anticipate any issues at work, but before I go waltzing into any grey areas I figured I would go for a 'boots on the ground' type answer. After all whilst the 80 year old's in politics write the laws, they ultimately don't enforce them.

Originally posted by FFJohnnyT View Post
    I have been tossing this question around, and really can't find anything on this so I figured one of you might be able to help me a little with my inquiry.

I am a relatively new Rhode Island Firefighter/EMT, and I was considering getting an automatic knife for work, but wanted to get the ' boots on the ground' opinion from those who are actually in charge of enforcing the laws-- who I might actually be working alongside.

As I read the Rhode Island statute, autos are allowed concealed if under 3" and any length if not concealed; and not in a restricted 'type' (ie: daggers). But the line goes fuzzy as to what is considered 'concealed' vs 'open' and that bit.

The only reason I am considering an auto is because I need something I can deploy quickly with one hand and with heavy gloves on-- I don't want to carry a Ka-Bar strapped to my thigh, and regular thumb studs are out of the question.

I looked around and couldn't find anything under 3" that has a decent button to it, so that's why I am deferring to you as to 'concealed' vs 'open'. Is clipped to the inside of your pocket considered 'open' enough-- I can't carry it outwards since I need to make sure a combative pt can't grab it.

I mean I don't anticipate any issues at work, but before I go waltzing into any grey areas I figured I would go for a 'boots on the ground' type answer. After all whilst the 80 year old's in politics write the laws, they ultimately don't enforce them.
    I would find someone from the Rhode Island state police or some similar agency and ask them

You are planing on wearing/carrying this while on duty with some public agency so if you can't find the answer from someone from your agency---------------go with the state police . OR a large city PD in your state.

Get an answer from someone who matters, not an internet forum where you don't really know who is answering your question
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you have to ask it's likely not the best idea.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Have you asked your battalion chief or any of the guys on the dept what they carry and, mor importantly, what complies with dept. regs?

Comment

I have asked a few guys and I have gotten a few different answers. Everything ranging from Yes to No to 'catch me if you can.

'

Comment

Start with your departmental regs. I don't care if it is legal or not, if it is outside what you are authorized to carry, then you are not going to be able to carry it.

Also the issue with security is one that you will have to be aware of. ****** bags will not hesitate to take your knife from you and use it against you or your coworkers. For that reason I would suggest against open carry.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I have asked a few guys and I have gotten a few different answers. Everything ranging from Yes to No to 'catch me if you can.

'
              asking "a few guys" isn't what you have been told to do.

ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS. That is why I suggested you go to someone in the State Police or LARGE city PD in your area.

Ask an EXPERT.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I asked the chief, and he said it's not prohibited.

I also asked two different cops and once again got two different answers. Yes and No. Around here, nobody seems to be 'in the know'.

Comment

Just want to point out that some states ban the usage of spring operated automatic knives, while torsion operation assisted knives may not be banned. Kershaw SpeedSafe is an example of torsion assisted operation. The difference is that spring operated knives require zero pressure from the user only the push of a button, where torsion assisted knives require the user to move the blade and at a certain point the torsion assisted operation kicks in.

Just something for you to look into for your specific situation; maybe take a look at the Kershaw Funxion EMT.

I recently bought a Kershaw Cyro and love the SpeedSafe operation.
                  “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Most of the flick knives are impossible to actuate with structural gloves on. Otherwise they aren't bad..

I did some more digging, and does anyone have a general definition (not necessarily by the book, but your definition) of what constitutes concealed carry for knives?

I read a 'dumbed down' version of the law: "It is illegal to conceal carry any knife with a blade more than 3 inches in length; It is legal to open carry any type of knife in Rhode Island" (survivallife, Feb 2014).

While I definitely agree that a local cop is better than some face on the internet, until I can find time to question half the precinct, I figure you'll have to do! I mean the vibe I got from the ones I spoke with is: "don't be an idiot, and you SHOULD be fine..."

Comment

I did some more digging, and does anyone have a general definition (not necessarily by the book, but your definition) of what constitutes concealed carry for knives?
                      You need to know the definition IN YOUR AREA

, until I can find time to question half the precinct, I figure you'll have to do! I mean the vibe I got from the ones I spoke with is: "don't be an idiot, and you SHOULD be fine..."
                      NO, NO,NO

You don't need to question half the precinct.

The LEGISLATURE

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/S...7/11-47-42.HTM

Attorney General
                      http://www.riag.ri.gov/documents/bci/pistols.pdf

ONCE again...................my suggestion is to CALL THE RHODE ISLAND STATE POLICE office nearest you and ask a State Police Officer the question.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6035 users online. 317 members and 5718 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X