Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a college diploma when apply seems useless

Greetings everyone,

I am a college graduate with a degree in criminal justice, and is currently enrolled in a paralegal program. I have a clean background, no criminal record, bilingual, proactive in my wellness, have done volunteer works, have 6 plus years of customer service, done ride alongs, but yet can't seem to land a job as a law enforcement officer yet. I recently didn't pass my oral board because I was nervous as hell when I had it. I was really prepared but don't know why I didn't pass it. I felt like I was really anxious on getting hired and just psyched myself out. I also applied to two entry level positions but they said I didn't meet their qualifications....what? I just feel like agencies preferred people who have more life experiences, especially military people.
    So for all current law enforcement officers, is it worth trying to enhance my education at this point?

Forgot to mention that I scored a 50.2 on my written exam portion, and a 540 on my fitness exam

Comment

The profession is extremely comptetitive right now

Bottom line is in order to get hired you have to EXCELL at every part of the process from testing to interviewing.

Reading your short post, I dont' see any reason why NOT to hire you, However I can see a few reason why you aren't getting hired

It appears you are overly nervous during the process-----------------that would come off as a MINUS or a RED FLAG

It also could mean that the people interviewing you don't see you as confident enough to make it in the profession.......................

Try Toastmaster International http://www.toastmasters.org/

and get some experience speaking and confidence in oral exchanges
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you sir, I will definitely give that a try. In your opinion, do you still having a strong education background helps?

Comment

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
          I recently didn't pass my oral board because I was nervous as hell when I had it. I was really prepared but don't know why I didn't pass it.
          You're contradicting yourself. Either you know why you failed to pass or you don't. I suspect you got it right the first time: you couldn't handle the stress of the oral board.

is it worth trying to enhance my education at this point?
          You priority should be learning to function under stress; that's an essential law enforcement skill. How many oral boards have you sat for? Practice and experience help.

Comment

I've been through three oral board interviews, passed two and failed one. I even made it to the chief's interview, but didn't pass that. I think my problem is that I'm better at the interview where the questions are all scenario questions. And both of the interviews that I've passed, I was given the questions on a piece of paper to follow along with.

Comment

Here's what most orals score you on:

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Take time now to think of the things in your personal history that meet these experience areas so you can be prepared when the next oral panel asks you about these areas. In addition, check with the CJ section of your local college and see if they run mock orals. This can help prepare you. Sometimes local agencies who are testing will run mock orals for applicants as well.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I've been through three oral board interviews, passed two and failed one. I even made it to the chief's interview, but didn't pass that. I think my problem is that I'm better at the interview where the questions are all scenario questions. And both of the interviews that I've passed, I was given the questions on a piece of paper to follow along with.
                I other words you are good at following dircetions but not working on your own with little supervison/direction or guidance.

All of which are needed as a police officer.

EDUCATION is great---------------common sense, ability to work independently with little supervision, and the ability to work outside the box is essential.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I see my flaws and what I have to work on now in order to prepare myself for the next oral. I will do whatever it takes to earn the right and privilege of wearing a law enforcement uniform and badge. Thank you to everyone for your inputs!

Comment

Not useless, just not enough to cut you away from the herd, especially if its only a 2 year degree.

If you want to further your education, learn Spanish. That'll be a bigger boost to the resume than a degree in most places.

Other than that, its been covered. Performance under stress, selling yourself, explaining why your experience translates into the required skills for law enforcement, etc.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Unless the job requires a certain amount of college credits, I would forego even going to college. I wanted to be a trooper and before I was old enough to apply they changed the requirements to 60 hours of college credit. So I went to a community college and got a two year degree. Did that do me any good other than fulfilling the requirement? I don't think so. The background , physical, and common sense are all that is needed for a successful hiring process and career. I'm an example.

Comment

My agency doesn't require college and can't as per civil service guidelines. However, most of us have obtained our degree, as the twp pays for a majority of it up to a bachelors.
                        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          EDUCATION is great---------------common sense, ability to work independently with little supervision, and the ability to work outside the box is essential.
                          The only thing I can add to Iowa's thought on this: The market is currently saturated with CJ / AOJ graduates. These things go in cycles as do nursing (which is always in demand) and business majors.

L-1 outlined a matrix and suggestions for you and they are spot-on.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

I don't want to be captain obvious, and I'm sure I forgot to state it in the beginning, but I graduated from a 4 year university, and not just meeting the minimum qualification.

Comment

I don't want to be captain obvious, and I'm sure I forgot to state it in the beginning, but I graduated from a 4 year university, and not just meeting the minimum qualification.
                              With a degree in criminal justice? How many other well-qualified candidates have the same degree? How many have work / life experiences to augment that degree? How many have military experience as well?

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4940 users online. 223 members and 4717 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X