300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a knife in self defense?

So I read a story on here recently and it had me thinking. Can a LEO use a knife in self defense? I will give a scenario in a second. I have tried to search the forum but nothing really answers what I'm looking for.

Scenario: LEO is assaulted during a stop and both end up on the ground striking and grappling. If the LEO is unable to reach his weapon for any reason and is getting gassed out with legitimate concern for his life (obviously), and say his only option or accessible option his say a pocket/duty knife, can the LEO use it legally at that point?

In general I understand this might be different in some department policies but as general guideline is that allowed?

Originally posted by DocJones View Post
    In general I understand this might be different in some department policies but as general guideline is that allowed?
    If the level of resistance exhibited by the offender dictates deadly force, then deadly force would be allowed. The only issue I can see is if there is a policy prohibiting the carry of an edged weapon. IMHO, if I survive the attack, my boss can write me up and I'll take my chances.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

. Can a LEO use a knife in self defense?
      A CITIZEN can use any means available in SELF DEFENSE. I am a citizen, so therefore I am able to utilize any weapon in order to defend myself.

I PERSONALLY don't know of any police officer in my area of operations that DOES NOT carry a knife and have absolutely NO DOUBT that any of them would use the weapon if necessary.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Deadly force is deadly force. There is no such thing as a "correct" weapon to use when dealing with a deadly force encounter. In fact, a weapon doesn't have to be used at all. If I slam your head against the cement, it's deadly force. If I strike your neck with my elbow or hit you in the head with a baton, it's all deadly force. You're saving a life, yours or somebody else... how you do that doesn't matter.

I'll kill ya with a god damn toe nail clipping if that's what I have to do live.

Comment

When deadly force is justified there is only one rule: you do WHATEVER it takes to go home.
          In God We Trust
          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Id beat you with your own arm if it means i go home .

Comment

So I read a story on here recently and it had me thinking. Can a LEO use a knife in self defense? I will give a scenario in a second. I have tried to search the forum but nothing really answers what I'm looking for.

Scenario: LEO is assaulted during a stop and both end up on the ground striking and grappling. If the LEO is unable to reach his weapon for any reason and is getting gassed out with legitimate concern for his life (obviously), and say his only option or accessible option his say a pocket/duty knife, can the LEO use it legally at that point?

Deadly force is deadly force is deadly force.

If I am justified in shooting you, I am justified in: stabbing you; hitting you in the head with an impact weapon; strangling you; drowning you; running you over with a car; dropping a safe on you from a high building; THROWING you off a high building....ect ect ect
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                A CITIZEN can use any means available in SELF DEFENSE. I am a citizen, so therefore I am able to utilize any weapon in order to defend myself.

I PERSONALLY don't know of any police officer in my area of operations that DOES NOT carry a knife and have absolutely NO DOUBT that any of them would use the weapon if necessary.
                I and most of the cops I worked with NEVER carried a knife.
                Retired

Comment

When is your book coming out?
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Always carry one, and most that I work with do also.....though I haven't taken a poll
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                      Retired: When I started out in 1994, LEO carry of knives were not as common as it is now. Most of my guys carry one, as do I. We even do a lot of training in defensive tactics incorporating knives used defensively and offensively.

I've never had to use on offensively, but I've cut a few seatbelts to get MVC victims out.
                      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I carry more then one knife on me....just like I carry more then one gun

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                          Me either when I was an active LEO on the streets

When I came back to LE after 30 yrs in Corrections--------I found things had changed dramatically
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Everybody I know carries at least one knife, sometimes more. If I was in a deadly force situation, as has been said, deadly force is deadly force, regardless of the method.

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post

I've never had to use on offensively, but I've cut a few seatbelts to get MVC victims out.
                              THIS.

My first night out, I was off shift after a SLOW night and heading home, when I rolled upon an accident that had just happened literally 2 minutes before I got there. Female was entrapped with the whole front of her Lexus laying in her lap. She was cut, broken, and battered from head to toe-- and totally conscious and aware of her pain level. I cut the deflated side curtain airbag so I could get to her, cut her seatbelt. Used the butt of the knife to bust out the passenger side glass so I could get in with her. I will never ever NOT carry a knife now.

But just as others have said, if I need to use it to win the fight, da** skippy I will. I'll cut his intestines out, wrap 'em around his neck and choke the life right out of him if I have too...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5280 users online. 298 members and 4982 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X