300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever work as a jailer?

Just curious if anyone has worked as a jailer before becoming an officer?

A department I want to work for has an opening for a jailer position...I have an interview coming up for their Police Recruit position too.

Would it be a good idea to apply for the jailer position as well? I figure it would help me become a better candidate for future officer positions if I don't get selected this time around.

My main goal is to be hired on as an officer ASAP, but I wouldn't mind working the jails for a few years if it means I would be a better officer because of it.

I worked in the blocks for a while.

I am a strong believer that EVERY POLICE OFFICER should work a minimum of a year in a jail/prision setting before being certified as a LEO.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I worked as a non-certified sheriff's deputy in the jail before attending the academy. It's a similar position, where your authority is limited to the jail and other detention related activities unless designated otherwise (such as a natural disaster or other emergency).

It isn't absolutely necessary, but it does give you a better perspective.

If you don't get picked up as a recruit, then it's a job at least and it WILL give you better insight to the people you'll be dealing with on the street.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Working the jails should be mandatory before you're even sent to the academy. Everywhere.

Comment

I cant agree more with every post above.Its a wonderful learning tool.

Comment

There isn't one LASD Deputy that has not worked the jails...Its a good learning experience...
            Retired LASD

Comment

Between dispatch and corrections, I spent almost two years; the jail was a learning experience and I agree that it should be mandatory before working the road.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I worked in the jail for a few months prior to getting my first offer from a PD. Good experience for anyone. You learn a lot when you have to deal with the criminal element without a gun on your side. That knowledge will serve you well on the street.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I think you should apply for both and take the one for police officer if offered. But that being said the responses you've gotten above are absolutely right, working in a jail is great experience and would be useful to you in LE. I worked as a LEO first at a PD but wanted to go to the sheriff's dept. I had to work in the jail before I could go to the road and took the opportunity anyway. A very good decision.
                  Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                  “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                  “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                  "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                  ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Another way to look at it:
                    As police, we daily work on the street and only a small percentage of the people we have daily contact with are true criminals.
                    CO's daily work has them in contact with 100% true criminals.

A steep learning curve to be sure...
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

First two years I spent working custody were a great learning opportunity, the next 3 I was chomping at the bit to get the heck out
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

If you're a cop and you've never worked in a jail or prison, then you should definitely tour one. It was certainly a big opener to me about what goes on in there, plus if you're an investigator, you can get tons of intel through prison contacts.
                        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I agree 100%. I too got my start as a jailer at a city jail and was a reserve police officer in my off time for another police department. It was the best of both worlds. One thing about being a jailer is you are often their momma and they can be extremely needy. I had attempted hangings, nude inmates, you name it I saw it. I fingerprinted over 1,000 people in my time as a jailer and that was with the messy ink. Most jails use a digital system now that is inkless to fingerprint inmates. I will say that I don't miss having to fingerprint drunks I just took out of the drunk tank. Their breath could take paint off the wall. Good Luck....

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I spoke to the Sergeant regarding my concerns and he encouraged me to apply for both positions. In fact, he actually started working as a jailer. I have no doubt working in custody is a great experience for anyone looking for a career in LE.

Comment

I small talk with the jailers when I'm booking, and I see many of them eventually becoming either State or Federal LE. I hear they are sought after due to their experience in the jails.

I can't see how you can go wrong working in a jail, but everyone's situation is different.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5700 users online. 326 members and 5374 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X