300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why police?

There are certain people who have always wanted to work in law enforcement since they were kids and followed that dream into adulthood by becoming a police officer after high school, college, etc.

For those who had other careers, when did you decide that law enforcement was for you? I've read countless threads here about applicants taking their PAT's alongside other applicants in their 40's. Some threads talk about people going to the academy alongside candidates well into their 40's.

For those who have had other successful careers (or not so "successful"), are currently in law enforcement (or retired), and applied during their 40's and older, when did you realize law enforcement was for you? Was it after a major life changing event or just a career change?

Thank You

Where else do you get to do this?
    semper destravit

Comment

I'm one who got into law enforcement as a second career and attended the academy at 43.

I was forced to medically retire from the Army at 36 after 16 years. I tried other, much better paying, jobs and while I was successful helping Sony data mine their customer information to increase sales wasn't really a reason to get out of bed in the morning... at least for me.

Now, I do an incredibly difficult job that even most cops don't want to do, and I do it well. The pay is complete shiite but I know that I'm having an impact even if most people never see me or know I'm there.

I AM there and I AM making a difference. That's the only reason to do anything.
      Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I liked the work and I liked the money.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I liked the work and I liked the money.
          Great work, great pay and benefits. It's something new everyday. I actually went into college wanting to be a lawyer. I soon realized that lawyers are evil and decided to switch to a different facet of the justice system.

Comment

Originally posted by OfficerBarbrady View Post
            Great work, great pay and benefits. It's something new everyday. I actually went into college wanting to be a lawyer. I soon realized that lawyers are evil and decided to switch to a different facet of the justice system.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I did it so I can post in here.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I was older getting on, but it was something I always wanted to do. Hours are crazy, some days I feel like a zombie, however everytime I suit up I feel a great sense of pride in what I do. Even those calls I wonder how I became a ------- fill in the blank.(damnit Jim I'm a Cop not a ---- lol) Anyone on will know what that means.
                MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

In NYC you can take many civil service tests at 16 1/2 years old. My father pushed me to take them as a back up in case I didn't go to college. I was on about 10 different lists for various types of civil service work, Police ,fire, sanitation,corrections, trooper etc. The PD was the first to call me. I never had a burning desire to be a cop and truth be told once I got hired I wasn't crazy about the work. BUT what I did like was the camaraderie. It was the late 80's and crime was out of control in NYC. There were 2500 homicides a year and probably 2 0r 3 times that amount of not fatal shootings and stabbings. The city seemed to be falling apart around us. I felt the calibre and quality of my coworkers could never be matched in a civilian job. These cops were sharp, crazy, funny and they had brass balls. Did I mention Funny? Sometimes I laughed so hard my sides hurt! It was a real brotherhood. We worked hard and played hard. We were close. We knew each others families. We did things as a group off duty. If guys or someone in their families got seriously hurt or sick we ran benefits, collected money and donated blood. I stayed in policing to work with people like this. I don't know if that level of camaraderie exists in the NYPD anymore but I was lucky to have experienced it. I would hate to think that it's become just a job. Thats why I stayed a cop.

Comment

Soldier to Peace Officer seemed like a natural transition in some aspects. 18 or so years and counting, no regrets.

Comment

So far no regrets, i see. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Got tired of chasing crooks in the construction industry who always would have the money by Friday or already mailed it.

Now its more about enjoying what i do.For me personally its less stressful than running my own business was.No payroll ,taxes, billing,people calling in or their wives playing sick.

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                          Where else do you get to do this?
                          This and my original dream of being a mighty morphin power ranger didn't really pan out.

Comment

Where else can you wear a gun and drive fast?

God created cops because firefighters need heroes too.
                            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I like the donut jokes. If you can't beat them join them.

Also, got tired of serving drunks and wanted to arrest them instead.
                              Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4146 users online. 203 members and 3943 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X