X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applicants and credit scores

Hey guys,

Back with another question. I know

As I'm in the process of making myself the most appealing applicant I can be, my mind has hatched yet another question for y'all.

I'm well aware of agencies looking at an applicant's credit scores, and I've heard of many people get the DQ hammer because of bad scores. However, what if an applicant, such as myself, has no credit history?

I have not established any credit history because when I was 17, I discovered a program called Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey. Anyone familiar with him knows that he stresses the importance of staying away from credit cards. So, following the advice and material I learned through his course and radio show (I'm 20yrs old and I listen to financial talk radio) I've managed to pay for my car, insurance, college tuition, and other bills strictly in cash.

If I MUST have some credit established, I was thinking more along the lines of getting a credit card only to use filling up gas once a week. Just curious on how an agency would look at no credit.

There seems to be a degree of confusion here, and hopefully, I can help you a little. What departments are concerned about is how you handle your debts. Granted, people who handle debt in the manner you do, are in a minority.

The great majority of people, applicants included, use credit cards. That's not bad in and of itself. Once more, it comes down to how you handle your debts.

Departments will look far more critically at credit reports than credit scores. Going into a hiring process, you can be certain to be questioned concerning your debts. Explain that in the manner you have here, and it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not going to suggest that you establish some credit, although some will. Should you consider it? Perhaps, but at the end of the day, that will be your choice.

Comment

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that. This was a particular question that I've been wondering for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        There seems to be a degree of confusion here, and hopefully, I can help you a little. What departments are concerned about is how you handle your debts. Granted, people who handle debt in the manner you do, are in a minority.

The great majority of people, applicants included, use credit cards. That's not bad in and of itself. Once more, it comes down to how you handle your debts.

Departments will look far more critically at credit reports than credit scores. Going into a hiring process, you can be certain to be questioned concerning your debts. Explain that in the manner you have here, and it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not going to suggest that you establish some credit, although some will. Should you consider it? Perhaps, but at the end of the day, that will be your choice.
        No better answer could have been presented.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Having bad credit would possibly be an issue.

Having no credit, and no debt, shouldn't be...

Do you live at home? Rent? Pay electric? Have a cell phone? How do you pay car insurance or car payment in cash? Or do you pay for money orders?
          Used to be most people didn't have credit cards and few had any debt beyond their mortgage.

It's still do-able if you really want to live that way.

Use debit cards, and checks, and don't buy stuff you can't pay for up front.
          Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-27-2014, 10:00 PM.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I live at home due to the cost of my massive tuition payments. I work my butt off to keep up with my tuition, so that I wont be set back by debt later in life. (I listen to Dave Ramsey)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5597 users online. 330 members and 5267 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X