300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions...

Hello I'm 19 and thinking about starting police academy. I have few questions.

1.How do you guys keep your family safe from retaliation ? My mother and grandmother are my world. Some gang issues surrounding our cities . I don't want anything bad happening to them since they live with me. Out of retaliation if I do become a cop. I live in California around the Sacramento area.

2.Can I have a partner or do I have to ride along by myself? Is that something you can request? I will feel more comfortable being with somebody.

1 Stop watching so many cop movies....they aren't real
    2 It depends on your dept and manpower

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
      1 Stop watching so many cop movies....they aren't real
      2 It depends on your dept and manpower
      Times Two
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

How about you think about getting a job or going to college instead?

Comment

Or do Aux, Reserve, Police Explorers....

But seriously, think about a job and school.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

As already noted - this is not the movies.

Does retaliation against cops happen? Sure, but not to the degree that any number of cops are hiding their families or going into Witness Protection.

Do your duty, be a stand up cop and exercise the appropriate level of PERSEC.

As for partners- already noted. But understand that a large percentage of cops work solo and miles from backup. This is where your wits and training wins the day.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

In my years, I've had lots of ***holes who wished me dead, but none ever (including mobsters) ever threatened my family.

In patrol, I was never able to pick a partner. I was once assigned to ride with a guy where there was mutual dislike. We agreed to a music station and listened to that in between calls.

But, like others have said, it depends.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

OK, prospective applicant, here's your first assignment. Read, re-read, and read once more, the thoughts expressed by my colleagues. You won't get better advice, and the best thing is you got it for free.

At age 19, I'd be thinking about furthering my education, or doing a tour in the Armed Forces. Should you elect to do either, do so for the right reasons. Now is the time to start prepping yourself for a hiring process.

You note that you're from California. That's Civil Service territory-big time. Start doing some research on preparing for written exams and oral boards, as they are absolutely critical to your advancing as a candidate.

Forget all this crap about retaliation, partners, etc. Hell, you're not even hired yet. Watch who you associate with. Stay out of trouble. Look into doing some community service, not as a resume builder, but simply because it's a good thing to do.

Do everything you can to emerge as a viable, hire able applicant. Good luck.

Comment

In 20+ years I have had a couple of instances where a vague retaliatory threat was made. Nothing ever came of it, but then again, I made sure to counter the threat with the individuals in "my own way" (wink, wink).
                  I have had one person actually come to my residence while I was outside doing yard work, complaining/ accusing me of investigating him as a meth cook. That went very poorly for him.

The bad guys may be stupid, but they are not usually that dumb.
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                    1. Don't eat where you ****.
                    Ain't that he truth.... when guys tell you how great it is to live where you work, cover your ears and move to the town next door (or two towns next door) if your contract allows it. Change at work and tell your neighbors you work for the water company.

The biggest "retaliation" I have seen in 19 years has been kids at school jerking the cops kids around a bit because their dad is an add hole. Of course dad is an add because he arrested their father for beating up mommy or a dui or something like that....THIS is why you live out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by El707 View Post
                      Hello I'm 19 and thinking about starting police academy. I have few questions.

1.How do you guys keep your family safe from retaliation ? My mother and grandmother are my world. Some gang issues surrounding our cities . I don't want anything bad happening to them since they live with me. Out of retaliation if I do become a cop. I live in California around the Sacramento area.

2.Can I have a partner or do I have to ride along by myself? Is that something you can request? I will feel more comfortable being with somebody.
                      I always lived in NYC but due to its size I never really worked uncomfortably close to home. I could have transferred closer to save on gas and tolls but preferred a little bit of distancefrom work. I always carried an off duty gun. I know quite a few cops that never carried off duty. I never had any threats made to me or my family and I dont really recall anyone I know personally that had them. doesn't mean it can't happen but its not the norm.

As for partners we ride two man cars. We pick our own partner here in NYC and as long as you are productive as a team they'll keep you together. Some guys prefer to work alone. For those guys there is foot post, scooter posts highway patrol and other things. I had the same partner for 15 years.

None of this helps you in sacramento though. lol

Comment

My units in the drive way every night unless im on vacation and out of town.Some do know where i live due to work crews working on the roads and just random driving by.

The scariest thing in the world i know if is a 12 gauge cambering a shell in the dark.They might get to hear it once in their life if it came to it.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. Appreciate it!

Comment

Where in Sacto do you want to work?

In California the vast majority of us patrol alone. If you have a problem with that I suggest the following: go to LAPD, LASO, SFPD, and CHP. Those are the biggests agencies regularly hiring that have some form of two man cars on a consistent basis. If those agencies are not your cup of tea, I suggest you NOT apply to California Law Enforcement. You are quite literally wasting your time.

I regularly ran into people I met while in custody. Even with the wife and kids. It happens. They are people too and usually are notstupid enough to "poke the bear". I live in a tougher neighborhood-with Hells Angels and Nortenos. No problems so far. There are a lot more regular folks who just want to live peacefully and by and large be left alone.
                            Last edited by RGDS; 06-04-2014, 11:12 AM.
                            semper destravit

Comment

I've never had an issue living where I work. I live on the edge of town, so the "problems" tend to not follow me. I AM looking to move further out of town just because the cost of living here is so high plus I am sick of townhome living.
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5219 users online. 293 members and 4926 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X