Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what retired 1st sergeants do? Drive taxis, run trailer parks, and manage used car lots outside of base.
    False.

Most senior NCOs have advanced degrees. A bachelor's is almost required now, and many have master's.

I've known more than one former 1SG or SGM who had former CPTs, MAJs and LTCs working for them in both the private sector and federal.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I know a LTC who started as a Beat Officer..... and worked his way up to Sex Crimes Detective...... Guess who his boss was...? Retired E7.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
        I know a LTC who started as a Beat Officer..... and worked his way up to Sex Crimes Detective...... Guess who his boss was...? Retired E7.....

Yep, see that a lot.

Comment

I also know plenty of MSHP Troopers that did a few years on Active Duty then got on the job....and stayed in the Guard/Reserves and worked their way up the chain that way...... either as NCOs or Officers.

I just think saying that NCOs that get out are driving taxis and Officers that get out are millionaires is a false statement.....

Comment

It was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but like most jokes it has a grain of truth. Anyone who's spent any time outside a military base knows who's managing the strip clubs, trailer parks, buy-here-pay-here lots (E-1 through E-4 approved!) and driving the cabs. Of course not every retired NCO lands there. There aren't enough strip clubs and cab routes to go around.

Plus, unless things have changed dramatically since I got out, pensions are based on a percentage of your pay once you retire. Seeing as how an O-5 makes about double what an E-7 does (both mediocre ranks to retire at), your pension will be about double as well. If they both retire at 20 years, that's about $24k difference a year, and its a hell of a lot easier to live on $48k a year than $24k a year without supplementing your income.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Enlisted, military police
              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

As a senior NCO, I can tell you that many more of us have advance degrees (My current CSM is working on his PhD). It is almost a requirement to have a Associates Degree to make E7, if not a BS or BA; You'll never seen E9 without a BS or BA nowadays. The days of having "crusty old" E9s running around who have very little post-HS education, is over. I just finished my BS and my peers have either begun or received Masters already.

The 1SGs that some of you refer to as taxi drivers, used car salesmen, ect. are be choice. They chose not to improve themselves and got stuff being in those positions.

If your looking to do actual "police work" meaning working the road as a patrol, going to specialized schools (K9, traffic, Investigations) than going enlisted might suit you better. Officers deal with training schedules and power points; Plan and Simple. But the choice is yours

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  It was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but like most jokes it has a grain of truth. Anyone who's spent any time outside a military base knows who's managing the strip clubs, trailer parks, buy-here-pay-here lots (E-1 through E-4 approved!) and driving the cabs. Of course not every retired NCO lands there. There aren't enough strip clubs and cab routes to go around.

Plus, unless things have changed dramatically since I got out, pensions are based on a percentage of your pay once you retire. Seeing as how an O-5 makes about double what an E-7 does (both mediocre ranks to retire at), your pension will be about double as well. If they both retire at 20 years, that's about $24k difference a year, and its a hell of a lot easier to live on $48k a year than $24k a year without supplementing your income.
                  The average ranks for retirement in the Army is O5 for Officers and E7 for Enlisted, so I wouldn't call them "mediocre". NOBODY who retires from the military can live solely on that retirement check each month unless your a General Officer and even most of them have some sort of board member position that pays a "salary".

So I guess when I retire next year, I'll have to get a taxi route or strip club gig cause my E8 pay, BS in Finance and Economics (double major) makes me a prime candidate for such a high level position?

I know many outstanding NCOs and Officers who retired at those ranks who gave blood, sweat and tears for someone to bash their accomplishments and great careers. So saying retiring as an O5 or E7 or even lower ranks for that matter is "mediocre", you have no idea. Sure, you probably served; even deployed a time or time 2....so have they. If you served then you know the beast that the Armed Forces can be and to put up with that crap for 20+ yrs, you have my respect. It really rubs me the wrong way when people, even those who served, bash some ones career accomplishments as if they just barely made it.
                  Last edited by 31BLaxer; 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

(both mediocre ranks to retire at),
                    False.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by 31BLaxer View Post
                      The average ranks for retirement in the Army is O5 for Officers and E7 for Enlisted, so I wouldn't call them "mediocre".
                      me·di·o·cre
                      ˌmēdēˈōkər/Submit
                      adjective
                      of only moderate quality; not very good.
                      "a mediocre actor"
                      synonyms: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished....

It doesn't matter if you did it in peace time as a finance guy or during war time as a super trooper killing machine. Your rank is what it is. If its average, its average. Confusing rank with the qualities and experiences of a person may be your issue causing the apparent butthurt.

NOBODY who retires from the military can live solely on that retirement check each month unless your a General Officer and even most of them have some sort of board member position that pays a "salary".
                      If you can't live on $45,358.20 a year in retirement income, which would be what a 20 and out O-5 would make this year per the DoD's retirement calculator, then you should probably learn to manage your finances a bit better. Compare that to your 20 and out E-6 raking in $23092.80. Like I said, basically half, and yes, that's tough to live on without supplementing your income.
                      I miss you, Dave.

Comment

I don't know of one single retired military member who is completely "retired" nowadays; Its almost impossible to do that based on any income unless you invested your money wisely, which most of the retirees I know (both O and E sides) do not usually have sound investment plans with the economic turn downs of recent years. As far as mediocre, its about wording and the perception. So I guess if a patrol officer retires as a patrol officer and does that for 20+ yrs, that make him "mediocre" as well....? Just a thought
                        Last edited by 31BLaxer; 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

As far as mediocre, its about wording and the perception. So I guess if a patrol officer retires as a patrol officer and does that for 20+ yrs, that make him "mediocre" as well....? Just a thought
                          How about using the term 'average' instead. Would it be safe to say that the average rank at which active duty personnel retire is O-5 for officers and E-7 for enlisted? I know law enforcement officers who retired as patrolmen. Some worked special units and returned to patrol, some enjoyed it so much that they lost track of time and 'bang' it was twenty years later, time to retire.

Nobody said or implied that your E-7 career was mediocre. Being thin-skinned and argumentative in civilian law enforcement only means one thing; you won't last long.

Would you recommend a 31 series MOS as enlisted?

Last edited by slamdunc; 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM.
                          “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

E8 Actually, and far from thin skinned....yes I would recommend it for someone looking to do actual LE work while in the military.

Comment

I don't know of one single retired military member who is completely "retired" nowadays; Its almost impossible to do that based on any income unless you invested your money wisely, which most of the retirees I know (both O and E sides) do not usually have sound investment plans with the economic turn downs of recent years. As far as mediocre, its about wording and the perception. So I guess if a patrol officer retires as a patrol officer and does that for 20+ yrs, that make him "mediocre" as well....? Just a thought
                              It makes his rank mediocre. It doesn't make him mediocre. A distinction you continue to overlook.

I'm a detective, but that's a position and not a rank for my department. My rank is still patrolman. I have zero desire to put in for sergeant for a variety of reasons, including that patrol officers get more protection from the whims of the department on assignment and shift (shift bidding by seniority, etc) as opposed to supervisors who always serve at the luxury of the department and can be assigned anywhere at anytime with no notice. I will, most likely, retire as a detective (ptl). Yes, that's a mediocre rank.

...and again, if you can't make it on $48k a year, you're doing it wrong.
                              I miss you, Dave.

Comment

n. So I guess if a patrol officer retires as a patrol officer and does that for 20+ yrs, that make him "mediocre" as well....?
                                The VAST MAJORITY of peace officers who retire, do so at the rank of Patrolman or Deputy Sheriff.
                                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5089 users online. 319 members and 4770 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X