300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the Internship!

After going through the application process for the last couple months, I found out today I got the internship with the local PD (~50 sworn). I start in a couple weeks.

Even though applying to be an intern is COMPLETELY different than applying to be a LEO, I was still able to use much of the advice I've read on these forums over the last several years (for example, I dressed professionally even when I was just dropping off paperwork at the front desk).

While I recognize this internship won't give me much of an advantage over other candidates when I apply to be a LEO, I am still excited to be taking the first real step towards a career in LE. I hope to make a good impression and learn a lot, which should at least help me get some good references during the BI when I apply to be a LEO.

Now for my question: What has been your experience with college interns in your agency? For my internship, the Sgt. has me spending time with officers, detectives, communications, the city prosecutor, and a judge at the muni court. What should I make sure I do (or not do) when I'm around these folks? Right now, I plan on keeping my mouth shut, paying attention, and learning as much as I can.
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Originally posted by Jacob2899 View Post

Now for my question: What has been your experience with college interns in your agency? For my internship, the Sgt. has me spending time with officers, detectives, communications, the city prosecutor, and a judge at the muni court. What should I make sure I do (or not do) when I'm around these folks? Right now, I plan on keeping my mouth shut, paying attention, and learning as much as I can.
    Three out of the last 5 interns at our agency got "fired". Two for stupid crap they posted on Facebook about partying and/or drinking------and the third for being stopped by a neighboring agency and found to be carrying a gun (no permit)

One that didn't get fired was politely told to stop hanging around the department and to stop asking to ride with the deputies.

I usually end up with the intern for a few days observing court and/or on transports.

Our last "rookie" deputy was a former intern from a few yrs back.

Just don't be "that guy"
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4876 users online. 255 members and 4621 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X