300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy Tuition

So here's my story. I have been trying to raise enough money to attend the police academy. Ever since I was a young boy I've wanted to become a police officer. When I was 17 in high school I joined the Army Reserves. When I turned 18 I tried to join the South Bend Police Department in Indiana but was told I had to be 21 to qualify. I gave it some thought and decided to transfer to Active Duty Army to gain some experience, get a deployment under my belt, and help my chances of being employed with the police department after my 3 year contract. I did 4 years of Active Duty including 1 year of deployment to the middle east. I honorably seperated from the Army in 2012 and have since then applied with every police department around my area multiple times and after each call from them they ended the same way. "We are sorry but we can not offer you employment at this time due to choosing an apllicant who is precertified." I qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and was registered for the academy to find out that you have to have the tuition payed for before the first day of class. The post 9/11 GI Bill pays for it half way through. I am happily married and have a 4 year old son and cannot afford the $6500 up front to attend. I currently reside in Newnan, GA. Anyone have any ideas or tips on how I can get the funds to attend? I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read my story.

To the OP:

Have you looked into departments that will put you through their academy?

Good luck!
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

To echo Aerohead, depending on where you live, most agencies will hire you and put you through their academy. For instance, here in MD, at least MOST of MD, you get hired by an agency and THEY put you through the academy.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MFCory View Post
        So here's my story. I have been trying to raise enough money to attend the police academy. Ever since I was a young boy I've wanted to become a police officer. When I was 17 in high school I joined the Army Reserves. When I turned 18 I tried to join the South Bend Police Department in Indiana but was told I had to be 21 to qualify. I gave it some thought and decided to transfer to Active Duty Army to gain some experience, get a deployment under my belt, and help my chances of being employed with the police department after my 3 year contract. I did 4 years of Active Duty including 1 year of deployment to the middle east. I honorably seperated from the Army in 2012 and have since then applied with every police department around my area multiple times and after each call from them they ended the same way. "We are sorry but we can not offer you employment at this time due to choosing an apllicant who is precertified." I qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and was registered for the academy to find out that you have to have the tuition payed for before the first day of class. The post 9/11 GI Bill pays for it half way through. I am happily married and have a 4 year old son and cannot afford the $6500 up front to attend. I currently reside in Newnan, GA. Anyone have any ideas or tips on how I can get the funds to attend? I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read my story.
        Were you 'honorably separated' or honorably discharged?
        I'd suggest you move to an area where the dept. pays for your Academy. Larger depts. do that. There are several depts. in the Metro Atlanta area that have their own academies and will pay you while you attend.
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

My DD214 says honorable discharge. My military record is not what is holding me back it is that I am not precertified.

Comment

If you really want to be a cop look into hiring with a department that sponsors you or has their own academy. Larger agencies usually do this are often easier to hire on with.

Student loans or Pell grants may be an option, too. Most academies give you college credit so attending one can be part of earning a degree.

Post 9/11 GI Bill is nice if you have it.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

There are hundreds of threads here about pay for stay academies.

Expect somewhere between $6000 and $15,000 for tuition .. and of course your regular living expenses on top of that.

Remember , you get what you pay for.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Expect somewhere between $6000 and $15,000 for tuition .. and of course your regular living expenses on top of that.

Consider too, that all too often these "Pay for Stay" academies dump a group of graduates into what is still in many instances, a very toxic hiring environment.

This is certainly not true of many reputable academies, which have some fairly decent placement statistics. They key here is to recall the old Latin proverb, "Caveat Emptor" Let the Buyer beware.

It's in your best interest to thoroughly research any academy you might contemplate attending. Among other things, check it's certification with the state's POST or similar agency. Take a long look at it's placement record, take a look at costs/fees which can be substantial.

Finally, use the "Search Function" I offer this suggestion, not as a means of being dismissive of you or your concerns, but as a means of your finding a wealth of information concerning the pro's/con's of self sponsor academies.

At the end of the day, I second the counsel of my colleagues who have suggested that you apply at academies which administer their own academies, and actually pay YOU while you're in attendance.

This includes virtually every state police agency, and many larger city and county agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I love the quote in blue, concerning arguing with idiots (or pigeons). Needless to say, a certain individual comes to mind. We all KNOW who that is.

Comment

Try an online Kickstarter campaign
                    Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

Comment

have you looked at the jr colleges? in CA a good majority of the police academies are linked to a jr college. The academies that are split ie half sponsored and the other half pay for are jr colleges. I had a few guys in my academy that were vets and had no worries. check that route
                      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

There is no self sponsor academies in Illinois. Depts. will send you when hired. But most hiring is tested and as others have said about their areas, competition is tough. There may be up to 3-400 people testing for 1 or 2 jobs.

Comment

In addition to my colleagues outstanding responses, ask this within the Georgia forums.
                          Budgets are tight right now, and many departments without department "owned" academies will hire a precertified officer over a non-certified officer.
                          Many sheriff's departments also send qualified CO's to academies to have them in the "bull pen" so-to-speak. You might try the CO route as well....

As for the Kickstarter idea- why not try it?? What a cool idea!
                          SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5131 users online. 294 members and 4837 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X