300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are medical exams the last step

shouldnt they be the first step of the application process? That way they can disqualify anyone who has medical disqualifiers such as poor vision right away and not waste any more time with the process

Besides the psych exam, it's the most expensive part of the process per applicant for the department?

Comment

Originally posted by TacMac View Post
      shouldnt they be the first step of the application process? That way they can disqualify anyone who has medical disqualifiers such as poor vision right away and not waste any more time with the process
      Many of the questions that are required to be asked during a medical exam can only be asked AFTER the applicant has been given a Conditional Offer of Employment.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act) and many state laws prohibit employers from inquiring as to medical and psychological issues except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. The medical and psych come last when the applicant is told in writing that he IS offered employment subject to his passing those exams.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I got DQed from a dept for a past criminal infraction (self-admitted, no police involvement) which I disclosed in my initial application. Yet for some reason they had me go through several rounds of testing before telling me I was DQed. That was a little frustrating and wasted some time and money (days off from work and travel time). Oh well. Water under the bridge.

Comment

A buddy of mine was accepted with a handshake and a welcome to the agency after a grueling process. His last step was the medical, which he failed due color blindness. It does suck going through all of that and then being booted after already having been "accepted."

Comment

Originally posted by ftttu View Post
              A buddy of mine was accepted with a handshake and a welcome to the agency after a grueling process. His last step was the medical, which he failed due color blindness. It does suck going through all of that and then being booted after already having been "accepted."
              That is why in MOST agencies it is called a CONDITIONAL offer of Employment.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I imagine he already knew he was color blind, correct? Not difficult to check with an agency before a "grueling" process...

Comment

I'm colorblind also, but I guess I'm not as bad as he is. I can see most colors, but the shade variances get me. I showed up to my A-School after boot camp, and for some reason, I had to take additional CB tests, which I barely passed. If I didn't, I would not have gotten into my contracted MOS. Just like my buddy, they got him in the end, but they didn't get me after trying.

Comment

IJust like my buddy, they got him in the end, but they didn't get me after trying.
                    YOU met the standards.

Comment

I have always found that strange, as well. Even if it is an expensive process, it eliminates the money they spend on all the rest of the stuff they put you through. And weeds out those with problems quickly.

Comment

Even if it is an expensive process, it eliminates the money they spend on all the rest of the stuff they put you through.
                        Translation: It's more convenient for me, sol they should spend the money.

By that logic they should do a BI on each of the 1000 applicants they get for each opening FIRST, just to save the applicants' time.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5918 users online. 285 members and 5633 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X