300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of administrative/paperwork in Law Enforcement

I am curious of the amount and type of administrative work that comes with law enforcement duties. I imagine the report writing for each incident, but anything beyond that. Are you kept out of the field or tied down dealing with a ton of forms or admin matters. I'm currently in Probation/Parole and feel glued to the computer/desk (I know, what should I have expected?).

A lot------------
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A single DUI takes an officer off the road for 1.5 to 2 hours here, including doing the Intox and report writing.

A basic non-injury two car accident report takes about an hour.

A basic speeding ticket takes about 30 minutes from initiation of the stop until you finish your notes at the end.

I read somewhere to plan for an average of an hour of paperwork per 2 hours of shift, done either at the end or during downtime/ between calls on the shift.
      Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-04-2014, 07:32 PM.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Mostly at the end when i was doing it.Wasnt alot of time during.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          A single DUI takes an officer off the road for 1.5 to 2 hours here, including doing the Intox and report writing.

A basic non-injury two car accident report takes about an hour.

A basic speeding ticket takes about 30 minutes from initiation of the stop until you finish your notes at the end.

I read somewhere to plan for an average of an hour of paperwork per 2 hours of shift, done either at the end or during downtime/ between calls on the shift.
          When I was working we did not take a report for a non-injury traffic accident unless we could prove a violation on the part of either party. And a speeding ticket took no longer than 10 minutes.
          Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
            When I was working we did not take a report for a non-injury traffic accident unless we could prove a violation on the part of either party. And a speeding ticket took no longer than 10 minutes.
            Same with a traffic ticket here TODAY

Collisions are handled here injury or not..............and yea 30-60 minutes to do a non injury , but that includes time on scene too

Comment

10-50 PD (MVA non-injury/information exchange) usually takes 15-20 min (to run plates/licenses, and to write them down)..
              10-50 PI (MVA w/ injury) can take 45mins - 1.5hr (incl arrival on scene, administering aid, and getting info)
              Traffic stops run 5 - 20 minutes depending on ticket/warning and anything else (circumstantial)
              DUI = traffic stop + SFSTs and then arrest, process, and paperwork, can take up to 2 - 3 hrs.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

A "routine" traffic stop runs about 10-15 minutes, a minor accident generally runs closer to 30. Major accidents take significantly longer and we generally let DPS have those when we can. DWI/DUI arrests generally take me around two hours.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thankfully, at my agency, we don't have to do traffic collisions at all. CHP handles all the reporting in our jurisdiction.

Traffic stops: 1 minute to 30 minutes, depending on if I release with a warning (95% of the time), cite, or do a vehicle search.
                  DUIs: From stop to arrival at jail, less than an hour. Could be another 30-45 minutes at the jail, mostly waiting for blood tech. 1 to 2 hours for reports, depending if the person and car are known (new computer system and database)
                  Warrant services: either less than 5 minutes for cite outs, up to an hour for in-custody arrests including booking and report.

Comment

Here a non-injury doesn't require a scene diagram, but does require a report unless not on a public highway. Also, there is an agency in this state... not mine... which, if NO citation is issued at a TC, requires a supplemental report explaining why.

The point is, there is a LOT of paperwork in LE.

Heck, in the jail I have to do 30-45 minutes of paperwork to lock an inmate down for more than 23 hours; including writing a report, entering the incident into the computer, serving charges, having the inmate sign paperwork... and then there's the hearing with a senior deputy or supervisor.
                    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-04-2014, 09:49 PM.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      A lot------------
                      THEN.....................you don't even want to BEGIN to think about the paperwork when you become a supervisor

Comment

It sometimes depends on the agency and shifting policies. I recently heard of an agency that wanted what amounted to a full report for all citations issued- which even with automated report writing systems can take upwards of 20 minutes to complete.

Then you have other data collection requirements that vary from department to department and even shift to shift.

And lets not forget departments under DOJ mandate to collect demographics information.

And then you become a supervisor or a paperwork surfer.
                        Originally posted by SSD
                        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

In order of average time taken:

Traffic ticket: 10 minutes.
                          Misdemeanor citation: 15-20 minutes.
                          Misdemeanor citation with crime report: 45-60 minutes.
                          Arrest for warrant: 60-90 minutes before I get back to my area.
                          Misdemeanor citation/crime report/arrest: 90-120 minutes before I get back to my area.
                          DUI: 2-3 hours, depending on consent vs. getting a warrant.
                          Felony crime report/arrest/dictation: 2-3 hours before I get back to my area.

If I have to impound anything, add about 20 minutes to any of these. If it's a fraud caper, there goes the whole shift.

Comment

Ahh, the good old days. We still killed a lot of trees though, and 99.9% was probably necessary.

Comment

Warrant only booking here is no report, just booking slip, medical, and jail rules. Shouldn't spend more than 20 minutes in the cage then back out the door.
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3966 users online. 258 members and 3708 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X