300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Experience

Besides joining a Police Explorer program or a Police Cadet program, what are other ways to gaining experience in the law enforcement field?

Originally posted by Law27 View Post
    Besides joining a Police Explorer program or a Police Cadet program, what are other ways to gaining experience in the law enforcement field?
    No such thing at your age. It's called a degree, the higher the better.

Comment

So you are saying there is no other way besides those two programs and getting a degree to get experience to put on a resume?

Comment

Explorers is good for High School ages, Cadets is good for 18 - 20, and being Aux or Reserve would be good for 21+.... But other than those, no, there is no other experience.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Internships give a student an OVERVIEW of what the job is like.........it is not expereince

Reserve or Auxiliary positions give a type of experience that MIGHT or might not be "counted" as experience by a hiring authority

Some agency's have CSO's or Community Service Officers.............or something like that
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Breaking the law gets some alot of experience.just the wrong type

Comment

So you are saying there is no other way besides those two programs and getting a degree to get experience to put on a resume?
              Yes. You need 2 things:

1. Education.

2. To stay out of ALL trouble.

Comment

If you're under 18 Explorers is a good option.

If you're 18 joining the military for 3-4 years is a good option IF you want to serve, but don't join if you're just padding the resume.

If you want to do college, joining the Guard or Reserve then attending college is a good option... again, IF you want to serve.

Joining as an MP isn't bad but really not necessary. Picking a career field you can use if LE doesn't work out, or that you will enjoy if you decide to stay in, works just as well. Likewise, studying Criminal Justice isn't necessarily the best option. Psychology, Sociology, Public Administration, Business Administration, Information Technology all have their uses in and outside of police work... and if math or physics is your thing that's OK, too.

There are a few agencies here that want "LE" focused degrees, but that isn't the norm. Generally any sort of college work is acceptable... and of course the Natural Resource agencies: game wardens, park officers, etc often want life science type degrees.

If the military isn't your thing, going to college and working as a student employee for your campus PD as a security aid or whatever isn't bad. If that doesn't work out any sort of regular or part time job shows reliability and responsibility.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

You might be able to apply for a Parking Enforcement position or volunteer for a local PAL program. Some of our local Sheriff's departments have volunteer search & rescue that you might also be eligible for.

Comment

Here's what we're saying. Both Explorers and Police Cadet programs are good exposure to law enforcement in general. Add to that, an internship with an LE agency.

It's been noted to you that education is essential. That means a degree, and that preferably should be a four year degree. No, it doesn't have to be in CJ, just about any academic discipline will aid you in becoming a competitive candidate.

While attending college, you should look into an internship or part time employment with the campus/university police department. Many college/university departments offer these opportunities to students.

Comment

Education and being bilingual
                      (preferably a language that has a large population of native speakers in the area you want to work in)
                      Here it would be ASL, and Spanish.
                      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback! I truly appreciate it and will take everything to heart and consideration!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4477 users online. 275 members and 4202 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X