300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police K-9 and Priority of Life

Where does a police K-9 fall on the priorities of life?

Was reading an article about a police K-9 being stabbed in the head by a suspect. As a handler or surrounding officer, do you have to just watch it and allow it to happen (since the dog is essentially considered property and you would be placing property over an human's life) or is deadly force warranted?

Most states classify K9's as Police Service Dogs or even Officers. I don't know of a state where it's "just property". And more than likely, if the suspect produces a knife before the dog deploys, the dog won't go in. If they do after the dog deploys and the opportunity arises, they're going to have extra holes.

Comment

If he is stabbing a K-9, he is within range to stab the handler as well.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
        If he is stabbing a K-9, he is within range to stab the handler as well.
        Or he would be quickly, as I would be rushing in.

Comment

The courts are VERY clear on this... a police k9 is considered property, no different than a toaster. An officer would be prohibited in using deadly force in protecting his k9 partner.

Comment

Originally posted by steelcityk9cop View Post
            The courts are VERY clear on this... a police k9 is considered property, no different than a toaster. An officer would be prohibited in using deadly force in protecting his k9 partner.
            ...but a good officer will quickly put himself in position to be threatened as well, thus alleviating the problem.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

So it comes down to 21-feet.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                ...but a good officer will quickly put himself in position to be threatened as well, thus alleviating the problem.
                Yep. Officers have no duty to retreat in the face of a threat.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

And in Texas we're allowed to use force to stop criminal mischief of property. Also it would be in order to stop a felony (2nd degree for assaulting the dog with a knife).

Comment

Originally posted by Cannady View Post
                    And in Texas we're allowed to use force to stop criminal mischief of property. Also it would be in order to stop a felony (2nd degree for assaulting the dog with a knife).
                    Felony in Iowa also
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I am not a K9 handler, nor have I ever been.

I was trained that in a situation where a K9 is being assaulted to let its handler make the call on whether he will use deadly force. The handlers have the training and experience to articulate the threat when it comes to their K9, so they're the ones who make the call.

CA has specific crimes (misdemeanor and felony) for assaulting a law enforcement dog.

Comment

The courts have stated that dogs are considered property and that you cannot use deadly force to stop the threat on a police dog but we'll be in that fight together!
                        Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

The OP failed to mention in this particular case the bad guy barricaded himself inside a house he broke into...he kept coming out the front door then going back inside...when he came back out again the K9 was deployed and he pulled the K9 inside the house with him...the K9 then came out with the stab wounds...end result was BG came back out with a weapon and was shot and killed

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                            The courts have stated that dogs are considered property and that you cannot use deadly force to stop the threat on a police dog but we'll be in that fight together!
                            Just out of curiosity, which case law is this?

Comment

Look at Goodman vs Harris County Texas
                              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3623 users online. 190 members and 3433 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X