300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paca Level II Bulletproof Vest

I am currently in hospital security and recently received my company issued Paca Level II bulletproof vest. I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to Bulletproof Vest's, however I am looking to upgrade the "Threat level" possibly by purchasing additional inserts. Is this possible? Which Inserts do I need and do I need to take all the old inserts out?

I dont think I am looking for rifle plates or anything. I would just love to be safe knowing that my vest can withstand a wider variety of handgun calibers and ammunition.

Do you want to add / replace the trauma plate or the panels themselves?

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

You can get hard or soft plates for vests. I put an additional hard plate in my vest underneath the soft ballistic insert.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
        Do you want to add / replace the trauma plate or the panels themselves?

If I replace the trauma plate or add another one will that really give higher protection or just give me less blunt force trauma from getting hit? Wont I have to replace the panels themselves?
        Last edited by Cassera; 04-24-2014, 11:33 AM. Reason: Did some research and answered my previous question

Comment

Originally posted by Cassera View Post
          If I replace the trauma plate or add another one will that really give higher protection or just give me less blunt force trauma from getting hit? Wont I have to replace the panels themselves?
          If you're going to replace the panels, you might as well buy a new vest. You're vest. a Level II is the "mid range" model of "Soft" body armor. By NIJ standards it must protects against 8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 398 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1305 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 10.2 g (158 gr) .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 379 m/s ±9.1 m/s (1245 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 10.2 g (158 gr) .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point bullets at a velocity of 408 m/s ±9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). So essentially 9mm, 10mm, 22LR, .380 ACP, .40 S&W, /45 acp and .357 mag. The next level, highest for "soft" body armor gives you additional protection in .357sig, and 44mag.

You're vest is a decent vest, better than some law enforcement agencies issue. The decision is yours, but be advised a IIIA vest is going to cost around $1000.
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Thank you BikeCop501, VERY INFORMATIVE!
            The employee at the store I picked up the vest from told me that it is actually a bit better than standard issue PD vest's around this area.

So I take it as there are no panels or inserts for my Paca I can buy to give me the next level (Level lllA) protection without spending over 150 bucks or so? Or even if its not considered Level lllA but more than it is now.

The way you put that, I think I actually am quite comfortable with this vest now. But since im here I figure I pick everybody's brain a bit and educate myself or for the future if I feel like I need the next level of protection.

Comment

You can buy hard and soft trauma plates. They range from $50-500... http://www.gtdist.com/SearchResults....T&Category=ARM

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Okay, I will definitely check that out.
                So just to clarify....

Panels are the primary armor that is supposed to stop the bullet and are located within your armor and run throughout your whole vest carrier.

Trauma Plates are normally a rectangular insert that are normally in the center chest and back area and spread out the impact so it doesnt feel like your getting hit as hard AS WELL AS add additional ballistic stopping power to prevent penetration? In a nutsell, trauma plates are like panels ballastically but they ALSO distribute the force of impact?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassera View Post
                  Okay, I will definitely check that out.
                  So just to clarify....

Panels are the primary armor that is supposed to stop the bullet and are located within your armor and run throughout your whole vest carrier.

Trauma Plates are normally a rectangular insert that are normally in the center chest and back area and spread out the impact so it doesnt feel like your getting hit as hard AS WELL AS add additional ballistic stopping power to prevent penetration? In a nutsell, trauma plates are like panels ballastically but they ALSO distribute the force of impact?
                  Sure... kinda. They also can add stab protection, since NIJ Ballistic vests are not SPIKE rated except for a few.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6429 users online. 371 members and 6058 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X