300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online CPR and first aid training

Many of the CSO, Park officer, and other jobs that I've been applying for while still in school prefer applicants with first aid, cpr, and first responder training. With the busy lifestyle of school, a current full time job, and raising my 4 month old son, online certification courses are sounding nice right now.

What are your thoughts on taking these online and not going to an actual physical course? I realize you have to go in to take the test most times at the end, but do departments look down on online certifications?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Originally posted by Will_Smith View Post
    Many of the CSO, Park officer, and other jobs that I've been applying for while still in school prefer applicants with first aid, cpr, and first responder training. With the busy lifestyle of school, a current full time job, and raising my 4 month old son, online certification courses are sounding nice right now.

What are your thoughts on taking these online and not going to an actual physical course? I realize you have to go in to take the test most times at the end, but do departments look down on online certifications?

The question you should be asking yourself is if your 4 month old son wasn't breathing or was bleeding profousley, would you trust your online class to save his life? If the answer is yes, then I'd say you're good to go as long as your agency accepts the online certification. You're getting more than a paper, you're learning a tool that will save a life someday. Where ever you decide to get your training/certification make sure it's good.

To answer your specific question, a certificaiton is a certification.

Comment

Originally posted by Will_Smith View Post

As a former CRP instructor, former Paramedic, and someone who has been certified in CPR for 40 yrs..................

That type of training would be worthless as teats on a boar

Interaction with the instructor is needed to be assured that your technique is correct

GET OUT FROM BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER MONITOR AND GET PERSONAL INSTRUCTION
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Is it possible to even get recognized on-line training? Contact your local YMCA and take the 3 hour American Heart Assoc course that covers CPR and AED.

Comment

The class takes 4 hours on a Saturday morning... I'm sure you can find a sitter or a friend who will watch the rugrat for a few hours
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by iowa #1603 View Post
            as a former crp instructor, former paramedic, and someone who has been certified in cpr for 40 yrs..................

that type of training would be worthless as teats on a boar

interaction with the instructor is needed to be assured that your technique is correct

get out from behind your computer monitor and get personal instruction
            aaaaaaaaaaaamen!!!!!

If you don't have an instructor helping you, how do you know you are doing it right???
            My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Normally the AHA online course requires you to go to an instructor to do the skills portion. I've been an AHA Instructor for 7 or 8 years. Actually teaching First Aid & CPR in FL the week of May 12th to a company.

With the active shooter incidents on the rise you will see a heck of a lot more training that's medical in nature for all responders. I've been teaching it at my agency for 7 years. All of our police officers conduct active shooter training. Out of about 55 officers 35 are licensed as Emergency Medical Responders (formerly First Responder title) and the remaining 20 are EMTs or paramedics. We're definitely ahead of the curve in that arena. Considering we're an Airport PD it makes sense.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

To be quite honest, the lack of a CPR card should not be that huge of a barrier to a job. That said, there are likely local Volunteer Fire Departments and/or the American Red Cross that offer basic first aid and CPR training. It will require coordination on your part to find a sitter for the few hours each course takes- but ask around, some of these courses offer this very service in conjunction with the classes.
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

online certification courses are sounding nice right now.
                  I wouldn't say it's completely worthless for sustainment training but nobody is EVER going to accept a "hands off" course as your initial certification.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Most academies will have some sort of training or refer you to a particular training source if you're not already trained when you get hired. Our agency requires a bit more than the "basic" course, so the online class won't cut it even for the renewals. Due to the various changes in technology and equipment, I'd recommend spending a few hours to get some quality "hands on" instruction. The life you save may be your own........
                    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Never could figure out how to do chest compressions on a keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                        I wouldn't say it's completely worthless for sustainment training but nobody is EVER going to accept a "hands off" course as your initial certification.
                        +10000

I don't really have any heartburn with using on line classes such as this as REFRESHER training for 1st Aid and CPR......but never as initial training....you need the hands on practical application part of the class
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Alright, thanks a ton everybody! I will definitely try and coordinate with a baby sitter for the little guy and just take a weekend class soon!

Comment

Will - PM me I can give you some additional information.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4672 users online. 307 members and 4365 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X