Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radarcop290
    replied
    New model of window tint meter out there for those LE officers/agencies who are interested. It is called TINT CHEK Model TC2800 and it's a pretty durable, pocket sized unit with a small case include in purchase. Cost is $129 per single unit with quantity discounts available. It looks and operates very similar to competitor models. It is slightly more than another popular model however it is a durable, well built, accurate, and very easy to operate unit.

www.tintenforcement.com

TINT CHEK TC2800.jpgTINT CHEK.jpg

Leave a comment:

• PA_FNG
    replied
    I think you have the right idea removing it. The inspection manual says 70% of light has to pass through, as you pointed out. But the vehicle code says you have to be able to see in. The being able to see in requirement is actually more restrictive than the 70% requirement. Being able to see in is completely subjective. So if I see a car at night time with 75% of light getting through, I could easily make the case that I couldn't see in. When I stop cars, I tell them that the defacto rule in PA is that tint is illegal, period. That being said... I generally issue warnings for that kind of stuff and give them the chance to remove it/fix it.

Leave a comment:

• mr crowley
    replied
    Originally posted by steelcityk9cop View Post
    Good man... and listen to and do everything they tell you.. especially the stuff about notifying them if you get pulled over or ticketed while in the academy. You will thank me later!
    Sounds good. I really appreciate the advice.

Leave a comment:

• steelcityk9cop
    replied
    Originally posted by mr crowley View Post
    That's exactly why I came here for clarification. T minus 13 days until I report. And I will be reporting tintless. Thank you guys.
    Good man... and listen to and do everything they tell you.. especially the stuff about notifying them if you get pulled over or ticketed while in the academy. You will thank me later!

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    Originally posted by steelcityk9cop View Post
    You can get cited for either section. If you are truly going to the state police academy, take off any trace of aftermarket tint... you don't want to risk your potential career over it.
    If I were you, I would listen to this man, very very carefully. He knows what he talking about

Leave a comment:

• mr crowley
    replied
    That's exactly why I came here for clarification. T minus 13 days until I report. And I will be reporting tintless. Thank you guys.

Leave a comment:

• steelcityk9cop
    replied
    You can get cited for either section. If you are truly going to the state police academy, take off any trace of aftermarket tint... you don't want to risk your potential career over it.

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    We use the 'too dark to see' section if we dont have a tint meter. If someone has a certified and calibrated meter, than we can use the % section.
    I use the too dark to see, most PDs dont have meters.
    Just like when Pittsburgh PD added a noise ordinance for loud boomy stereos. There was a section for decibels, but that was more for the bar based noise, then there was the '75' away, its too loud' one for the G-Rides.
    Oh, and as far as you getting into the STATE PD academy, if you have to ask, then its too dark.

Leave a comment:

• firefighter-emt
    replied
    If you are looking for a simple answer, and to "keep from getting any special attention at the academy", anything over factory tint will probably get you that attention, meaning anything over what you had on the truck when you bought it.

Leave a comment:

• stormz5192
    replied
    I can't stand tinted windshields. My personal Durangos and work suburban are all tinted (27-35%) but you can still see in during the day. When working at night, I have to lower my windows to see when trolling the neighborhoods. No damn way you can see well out of a windshield that's close to limo tint.

Leave a comment:

• OfficerBarbrady
    replied
    I've always gone with the visibility factor. If I can't see inside, it's an officer safety issue.

Leave a comment:

• PSUMedic
    replied
    I only wrote a tint ticket once... and the good citizen had 15% on his windshield - not just the sun visor level, the WHOLE windshield. He even admitted it was really hard to see at night.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Here's a simple answer from Alabama. Remove the tinting. As you noted, you want, and believe me you don't want, ANY special attention at the Academy.

Leave a comment:

• mr crowley
    replied
    Originally posted by DAMAGE INC View Post
    I would suggest driving your vehicle to the PA State Police Academy with the darkest window tint you can find. The instructors will be happy to explain that particular section of the vehicle code to you on your first day. (I hope you can sense sarcasm) If you have window tint on your car, get it taken off. Make sure your vehicle and its paperwork are squared away before you arrive.
    I'm a professional sarcasm-er. But this is exactly why I am trying to figure out what is legal in PA because the last thing I want to do is get special attention at the academy. The tinting law in PA is just so damn confusing. I have a truck that has factory tint on the rear windows and I was hoping to match that. But, like everything else with PA, they are still in the Stone Age with this one. Why can't they just construct a law that days "hey, 50% is all you get?" Instead it says "a person should be able to see inside the vehicle". Well you can see inside at 35% during the day but not at night. Hell you can't hardly see inside untinted windows at night. It's a grey area. But for the time being I will leave it as is. Maybe I'll revisit the idea when we get to that part of the curriculum

Leave a comment:

• DAMAGE INC
    replied
    Originally posted by mr crowley View Post
    Thanks Tick I'm excited to start. Can you cite for tint or just stop for it? Or is that one in the same?
    I would suggest driving your vehicle to the PA State Police Academy with the darkest window tint you can find. The instructors will be happy to explain that particular section of the vehicle code to you on your first day. (I hope you can sense sarcasm) If you have window tint on your car, get it taken off. Make sure your vehicle and its paperwork are squared away before you arrive.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4133 users online. 237 members and 3896 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X