Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions, need answer.

Okay, so I'm 17 and in highschool. I was just wondering if it's
    Possible to get into the sherrifs department when I turn 18. I will still be in
    Highschool, I know that the minimum age for law enforcement in Georgia is 18. I also read that you need a high school diploma. Is there a way I could join when I turn 18, and am still enrolled in my highschool? Is a diploma a manditory thing? Most of the local police force is related (including the chief) or family friends. Could they weasel me in?

My second question is if I could join an Oregon police department with my prior experience (assuming I become a police officer in Georgia) substituting my age? The minimum age in Oregon is 21.

I'm trying to become a police officer as soon as I can.

Originally posted by The75thGhost View Post
    Okay, so I'm 17 and in highschool. I was just wondering if it's
    Possible to get into the sherrifs department when I turn 18. I will still be in
    Highschool, I know that the minimum age for law enforcement in Georgia is 18. I also read that you need a high school diploma. Is there a way I could join when I turn 18, and am still enrolled in my highschool? Is a diploma a manditory thing? Most of the local police force is related (including the chief) or family friends. Could they weasel me in?

My second question is if I could join an Oregon police department with my prior experience (assuming I become a police officer in Georgia) substituting my age? The minimum age in Oregon is 21.

I'm trying to become a police officer as soon as I can.
    1. No
    2. N/A

Comment

The chances of being hired as a Peace officer ANYWHERE in the country while you are still a high school student is ZERO

You answered your own question when you "read" that you need a HS diploma...............if you were still a student, you would NOT have a HS diploma.

The above isn't rocket science-----it is simple MATH

I have yet to see an 18 yr old that was mature enough to be a police officer (yes I HAVE seen 18 yr old cops..................that really doesn't mean they had any business being one)
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If a diploma is required, then you must have a diploma. Pretty simple.

As for the second question, you would need to consult with Oregon and see if they will accept Georgia certification. If they won't, then you will be going to another academy. Every state has minimum standards and you will have to meet those. Experience doesn't mean squat if you don't meet the minimum standards of the state you are applying in.

Covman

Comment

Well, I appreciate the responses guys. Kinda disappointing, but I guess I will
          Just have to wait a little bit longer.

Comment

Get some life experience first. You're going to be going into people's homes, doing things that will affect their lives forever, making life-and-death decisions, facing enormous pressures from administrators and the community. Eighteen is not old enough. Wait until at least 21. Ny then you will have had time working at a couple jobs, been around lots of new and different people, maybe traveled some, maybe been in the military.

Once you are a bit older and removed from high school days you will be better prepared for law enforcement.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Kinda disappointing, but I guess I will
              Disappointing?! Trust me, you're better off waiting. Finish high school and get a job. Get an apartment. Buy some furniture. Be a young adult for awhile. No reason to go rushing headlong into a career like law enforcement. The dept you want will still be there 3 years from now or even 5 years from now. If you just can't wait to shoot guns and be a hero, go military.

I don't really know how to explain it, but without some "life experience," law enforcement will kick your ***.

I had a ride-along last night who was 18. Nice kid, but no freaking way she was ready for law enforcement. Despite 2 felony drug arrests, a rollover collision, and several severely mentally ill people she was bored. I guess she was expecting me to get into a car chase or gun fight.

Comment

I have experience on my wrestling team mixed with jiu-jitsu tactics, I am signing
                An OP-40 contract with the army, I have certificates With FEMA courses, and I am taking a Law and Justice class as a pathway and am scoring top of my class with a 98. I mean, it's all I want to do and it's all that interests me. I suppose I will just participate in my local explorers club.

Comment

I have experience on my wrestling team mixed with jiu-jitsu tactics, I am signing
                  An OP-40 contract with the army, I have certificates With FEMA courses, and I am taking a Law and Justice class as a pathway and am scoring top of my class with a 98. I mean, it's all I want to do and it's all that interests me. I suppose I will just participate in my local explorers club.
                  Not an LEO but I have some insight regarding the OP-40 contract with the Army. For those that don't know an OP-40 is a guranteed shot at Airborne school and Ranger Assesment and Selection Program. (RASP)

Did you already sign that OP-40 contact or are you just hoping to? Telling you right now that OP-40 is RARE. It was rare when I enlisted even when they were pushing for "more spec-ops" and it's even rarer now. I went in as Infantry and they were not handing out airborne and definitely not handing out ranger contracts to us at MEPs. I only heard of one kid getting an OP-40 and it was for a human resource MOS....not exactly a high speed ranger job you would think of. Also don't think you can play the "waiting game" of refusing to sign until you get your way. That doesn't work anymore with the major drawdowns they'll pretty much just shrug and tell you to **** off. And if you are just trying out for The Regiment as a resume booster they are going to curb stomp you at RASP.

Just slow....down. You're trying to rush into all this high speed stuff you're not thinking realistically. Enjoy your time in high school and please if you are going to enlist do it because it's something you truly want to do and not because it's "cool" because you will question your entire life your first 24 hours at basic training and you need to be solid as to why you joined if you expect to make it. How are you planning on going to the police academy if you're enlisting anyway? I shipped out a month after I graduated.
                  Last edited by Miller11x; 04-20-2014, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Have you considered the Explorers? There are plenty of posts that let you stay on until you're 20. This would go a long way towards getting you real-world experience in law enforcement. Not only that, but most states ask that you be 21 because the law is that in most states you have to be 21 to carry a handgun.

As a good friend of mine from a former agency said, "Law enforcement will still be there when you're ready..."
                    SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

OP I Started my first LE job as a jailer when I was 21 and in all honesty I was a little too young. Having grown upbin a LE family I thought that I was ready but I had my eyes opened quickly once I started in the jail. Eighteen is far too young. Finish school, serve your country or get a degree (or even both) before you start pursuing a law enforcement career. Make sure you have a plan b that will take care of you and your family if you do not get hired or if your first choice does not pan out. As has been said before the PD will still be there in a few years.
                      In God We Trust
                      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

OP this isn't a knock on you so don't take it that way but I wouldn't want to work with an 18 yr old. They're too young to inexperienced and too immature.

Comment

Also don't think you can play the "waiting game" of refusing to sign until you get your way. That doesn't work anymore with the major drawdowns they'll pretty much just shrug and tell you to **** off. And if you are just trying out for The Regiment as a resume booster they are going to curb stomp you at RASP.
                          Two things here.

1. While the military, any service, may tell you to kiss off... don't enlist for something you're not happy with. If you can't get what you want, wait until you can. There are far too many enlistees who get just what they want and are STILL unhappy. Those who aren't even doing what they wanted are even more likely to be unhappy. Initial enlistment is the ONLY time in the military when you can get exactly what you want or walk away with nothing lost.

2. Enlisting to get some experience and training under your belt isn't a bad thing, but do it because you want to be in the military not because you want to do something else later. I am/was a tanker, I have no interest in crawling around in the weeds... but I know people who have done RASP and been in batt. Those boys ain't playin'. Even the rest on the Army is serious about who they are and what they do. Admin puke, mechanic, MP, whatever. They all work as teams and they all expect each other to pull their weight. You're there, doing THAT job, that is WHY you are there... not daydreaming about being a cop in four or six years.

The military isn't the only option. Go to college. Work in a non-sworn position. Do just about anything lawful, it will be useful later.

Don't enlist in any service for anything unless that is what you want to do and who you want to be. Whatever comes after, comes after.

OP I Started my first LE job as a jailer when I was 21 and in all honesty I was a little too young.
                          In Colorado the law allows hiring of non-certified detention deputies/ officer or jailers at age 18. POST academy and certified deputy/ officer requires age 21. I started as a non-certified deputy at age 42.

I don't know any 18 year old deputies, most departments have a policy of not hiring younger than 21, but I went thru the academy with 21 year olds and worked with one non-certified 21 year old deputy. NONE were ready, IMO, to be peace officers. None. Not just because I'm an old crusty guy, but because I had the experience of an entire Army career and some experience in LE before hand. They would make good Privates, with a firm hand and some direction, but peace officers are more self-managed and self-directed and they don't have the experience or self-discipline for that yet.
                          Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

It sounds like you're doing awesome. We're just trying to say there are some things you can't rush. Life experience can't be learned in a class. You just have to let it happen.
                            For instance, have you had a car loan? Have you had a full time job? Have you rented an apartment? Have you travelled? Have you lived with a roommate? Have you lived with a girlfriend/boyfriend? Have you had a drink at a bar (like an adult, not a kegger in a field).

If you want to go into LE early and your state law allows it, none of us can stop you. We're just offering caution. Before I started trying to get hired at age 29, I read 101 Reasons Why You Should Not Become a Cop. I think it was a good read for both me and my wife. Police work is a VERY strange profession.

By the way, my agency (and I assume many others) allow ride-alongs at age 18. Have you done a ride-along yet?

Comment

Well, I appreciate the responses guys. Kinda disappointing, but I guess I will

Actually, you should be prepared to wait considerably longer. Perhaps long enough to obtain a degree, which by the way, does NOT have to be in Criminal Justice or a related field.

Your first and most immediate mission is to finish High School. By that I mean graduate, and do so with a respectable GPA.

You should consider ROTC in college, or at least an enlistment in the Armed Forces. While that does not guarantee you a shot or a leg up in seeking LE employment, it will help provide you with the self discipline and team ethic which makes successful police officers.

While you're still in school, consider joining an Explorer Post or applying for an internship with a police agency. While once more, these are not guarantees of employment, they will provide you with an exposure to law enforcement.

Should you elect to continue your education, and you should, check out possible internships or possible part time employments with your campus or university police agency.

Have a plan, but make it a flexible one. Right now, stay in school, enjoy being a kid, participate in as many extra-curricular activities as you can. Watch who you associate with, stay out of trouble.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6486 users online. 363 members and 6123 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X