Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which states are correctional officers peace officers?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which states are correctional officers peace officers?

I know county deputies are, but in terms of state corrections.

Originally posted by Boxbeat19 View Post
    You assume "peace officer" is universal and it is not. In NY, there is a HUGE difference between a peace officer (most corrections) and police officer.

Peace officers are not police officers and police officers are not peace officers in NY.

Comment

IL depends on county for the county folks, DOC not considered peace officer

Comment

All Correction Officers, State or local, are Peace Officers in New York State. For the purposes of the original post, there are few relevant differences between Peace and Police Officers in NYS.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxbeat19 View Post
          Since this has been asked, answered, discussed and debated time and time again I will kindly direct you to the SEARCH function.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

It runs the gambit.

MOSTLY------(a very generic term)---------they are peace offices WHILE ON DUTY ONLY

That varies widely through out the 50 states. the Federal Bureau of Prison officers are Federal LEO's
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

State Corrections officers in California are peace officers whose authority extends to any place in the state while engaged in the performance of the duties of their respective employment and for the purpose of carrying out the primary function of their employment.

The law specifically allows them to carry a concealed weapon while off duty.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyd6 View Post
                You assume "peace officer" is universal and it is not. In NY, there is a HUGE difference between a peace officer (most corrections) and police officer.
                Not really huge. No arresting for warrants (court officers and bench warrants being an exception) and no SQF (again, with court officers in and around the courts being an exception.) Aside from that and that a few titles have to carry under pistol permits, most limitations come from the agency.
                Last edited by LINY; 03-28-2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

In Alabama, the term "Peace Officer" and 'Police Officer" are virtually interchangeable. Alabama POST certifies Corrections Officers, but with a Non-Transferable certificate. What that means in practical terms is that should a Corrections Officer later elect to apply with for a state, county, municipal, college or university police agency, he would have to attend and complete a POST approved academy.

That said, in Alabama, a Corrections Officer does posses some power of arrest. This includes on prison grounds, in the retaking of an escaped prisoner, in the supervision and arrest if required, of a prisoner in a supervised restitution program, or in the course of a work detail or similar assignment.

Also within the Alabama DOC there is an Inspections and Investigation Unit which has arrest powers as it applies to inmates or Officers suspected of, or actually involved in a crime on prison grounds or property.

Comment

In NY, the state maintains a database of Peace Officers, but does certify them. The state sets minimum training standards and each agency transmits a list of qualified personnel to the state. The state then gives each officer a registration number.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      All Correction Officers, State or local, are Peace Officers in New York State. For the purposes of the original post, there are few relevant differences between Peace and Police Officers in NYS.
                      This is accurate and I've been both. What u need to know is how each state defines a peace officer vs police officer. In NY there are subtle differences in terms of actions they can take when encountering crime but both are largely protected equally by the penal law.

In other states cops are technically defined as peace officers and the definition of a peace officer is broad.

Comment

In Idaho Correctional Officers are Peace Officers. In fact that is exactly what their badge says "Correctional Peace Officer". However, by statute and policy it is a while on duty status ie "while engaged in the incarceration, transportation, or re taking of an escapee etc....." Which BTW I have ways found to be odd.

Especially since the statue continues to read that all employees of the DOC that have received peace officer certification from POST shall have all the authority granted to peace officers in the state of Idaho. POST certification for CO's is only since 2005 or so. Therefore I assumed that the statue read in that way to cover pre 2005 CO's who don't have post certification so they can still do their job. But I have heard it interpreted differently.

There are some positions in the DOC that require a "Patrol" certification. I have been told that this is what the statute is referring to with the "all the authority of a peace officer" statement.

Either way they are Peace Officers, at least while on duty. What exact authority that entails seems open to interpretation.

We have different POST certifications for

Patrol
                        Detention
                        Felony P&P
                        Corrections
                        Misd Probation
                        Juvi
                        Dispatch

I'm pretty sure "Peace Officer" is only applied to the top four and we all swear the same oath in front of a judge at graduation.
                        All comments and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the policy or opinion of my employing agency.

Comment

All SWORN law enforcement are Peace Officers in California. Then you have what I call "Eight Hour Cops" such as California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Correctional Officers and most, but certainly not all, County Correctional Officers who only have Peace Officer powers while on duty.

Comment

Originally posted by wheels295 View Post
                            All SWORN law enforcement are Peace Officers in California. Then you have what I call "Eight Hour Cops" such as California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Correctional Officers and most, but certainly not all, County Correctional Officers who only have Peace Officer powers while on duty.
                            Well said. Though, my shifts tend to be 12 or 18 hours

Comment

Originally posted by cprmauldin View Post
                              Well said. Though, my shifts tend to be 12 or 18 hours
                              I'm confused. Your profile states you're a Sworn Police Officer, but you're occupation is a Correctional Officer. Which is it?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4829 users online. 301 members and 4528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X