300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explanation of SWAT.

I have recieved several PM's by new forum members who want to get into LE,and more specifically a SWAT unit. Due to some of their statements I feel like they have a general misconception of what SWAT does and I feel compelled to put all my answers out for the public to see.

First,I applaud the members who want to make LE a career. There are not enough officers to go around. A number of people who go into LE are not content with just taking reports and answering calls,so they want to better themselves and be all they can be. For me,the best is SWAT. From hostage situations to high risk warrants and everything in between,we are called upon to resolve crisis situations that a street officer cannot handle. We are a highly motivated and dedicated unit that handles high risk situations no matter if it day or night,rain,sleet,or snow.

Having said that,a successful SWAT operation is where no one is injured at the end of the op. I do not want to work beside someone who is only good at pulling a trigger. I want to work beside someone who can THINK. SWAT's primary job is to save lives,not take them. Yes,we have all the cool toys and you have to be a good shooter to be on the team,but thats not what its all about. There are no cowboys,hotshots,primadonnas,or yahoos on a SWAT unit. There is no I in team. You work AS A UNIT,at all times to successfully complete your mission. Nothing else is acceptable,and nothing else is tolerated. If you want to go SWAT,great. Expand your mind so you can have the brainpower to solve the problems we face. Have the solution be the least likely to cause harm to the team,the innocents,and the perp. In exactly that order. We are not a death squad,which some people seem to think we are.

If any current or former SWAT guys on the forums want to jump in here,be my guest. I've never been real good at articulation,but ya'll know what I mean.

Also this thread is not directed towards any of the operators I've talked to nor the ones who had/have a genuine interest in trading information. Just the ones who have the wrong idea of what we do.
    Last edited by J.DIXON; 10-05-2003, 02:49 PM.
    If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

At a lot of agencies, SWAT gets less actual trigger time than the patrol guys...as in gun in hand, on the street. If it is a full time team, they may only have 60 or 70 call out a year and not everyone is on duty for every call out...plus a lot of big PDs have special units that do their own warrants...so thinking that SWAT is always on the street with their MP5s breaking down doors...ect is just plain wrong. They do a lot of other stuff that is not nearly as exciting, dignitary protection, training other units, maintaining that mountain of "cool" gear. Most of the guys I know on our teams just spend lots of time in the gym. Don't get me wrong, when it gets interesting for SWAT, it gets REAL interesting, but it is not a first responder unit and they aren't just out roaming around stumbling into armed robberies and whatnot like on TV.
    Live your Tactics, Hope is NOT a method!

Comment

Good post JD.

There needs to be a few 'stickies' in this folder that answer the common questions people come here and ask repeatedly about employment. This is one of them.

Comment

I want to be in SWAT team because I wont SAVE some lifes, work in team. Difference betvween MILITARY soldier and SWAT officer is big. Because first just kill, second save the lifes!

For me, the high livel of professionalism - take duwn with out any shots!
        Last edited by nightsniper; 10-06-2003, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Nightsniper:I'm not trying to bust your balls. I applaud your for your interest and dedication to what you want to become. You have a goal that you want to acheive and you are willing to work hard for it. That I don't doubt. But you are young. Your signature of "No Prisioners Taken-SWAT",along with the user name Nightsniper,just rubbed me the wrong way. I know that you don't mean any offense by it,but you have to understand my point of view. Someone who is not old enough to even be certified sends me a PM wanting information on tactics. It seems kind of odd. Bad guys have access to computers too,and they would love to learn all the LE tactics they can so they can use them against us. If you want some good advice:Get an education. In 6-7 years,if you still want to go into LE,do it. But live life first. Experience the good times. Grow up a little. Understand who/what you will be fighting for,not do it cause it seems cool. You are still too eager.
          If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

Kinda makes you wonder, when they don't post enough info in their
            Bio as to who they are and what they want.
            "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
            Thomas Paine

Comment

Last edited by Frank Booth; 02-27-2005, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                I want to be a prison guard in the prison on TV where all the hot large busted women are housed....The "Caged Heat" penitentiary.
                Work there! I want to be held hostage there and ravaged by all those large busted women - lol
                All Units Code Zero on one, Code Zero on one...all non-emergency traffic go to TAC-2

Comment

Originally posted by J.DIXON
                  Nightsniper:I'm not trying to bust your balls. I applaud your for your interest and dedication to what you want to become. You have a goal that you want to acheive and you are willing to work hard for it. That I don't doubt. But you are young. Your signature of "No Prisioners Taken-SWAT",along with the user name Nightsniper,just rubbed me the wrong way. I know that you don't mean any offense by it,but you have to understand my point of view. Someone who is not old enough to even be certified sends me a PM wanting information on tactics. It seems kind of odd. Bad guys have access to computers too,and they would love to learn all the LE tactics they can so they can use them against us. If you want some good advice:Get an education. In 6-7 years,if you still want to go into LE,do it. But live life first. Experience the good times. Grow up a little. Understand who/what you will be fighting for,not do it cause it seems cool. You are still too eager.
                  OK! Thank you.
                  With best regards to you sir.

2) Frank Booth. Yes, you right, english for me a fourth language! (want "10-4")
                  Last edited by nightsniper; 10-06-2003, 01:28 PM.

Comment

The greatest honor ever bestowed upon a SWAT Unit, is to have never taken a life.

The second greatest is to have never been called out.

Practice, tactics, skill and a bit of luck go a long way into making that first one, but you can objectively argue that fear could be a driving force into the second one.

Just as a nation may fear another
                    "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

Re: Explanation of SWAT.

Originally posted by J.DIXON
                      If you want to go SWAT,great. Expand your mind so you can have the brainpower to solve the problems we face. Have the solution be the least likely to cause harm to the team,the innocents,and the perp. In exactly that order. We are not a death squad,which some people seem to think we are.

would you mind on elaborating on what those problems are for me please? also, would you mind telling me what your days are like?

Comment

Originally posted by JSandi
                        The greatest honor ever bestowed upon a SWAT Unit, is to have never taken a life.

The second greatest is to have never been called out.
                        If you have a SWAT unit that has never been called out, either the administration doesn't want to use it or there was no need for the unit to be created in the first place.

I don't see how it is an 'honor' for a unit, ANY unit, not to be utilized. At the least, most jurisdictions have high-risk warrants that the unit could serve. IMO, it would be an honor to a unit to be called out and utilized frequently, considering this means people in high places have faith in their abilities.

Comment

I have to agree with Patrick on that. The team needs to be tested in real life events to prove their worth. The last I saw, the world wasn't about to be overrun by paper targets and Red Men.

would you mind on elaborating on what those problems are for me please?
                          I just had a similar conversation with a group of High School students. It's too easy to read the "book" way or resort to force to settle problems, but it is crucial to use mind power.

How much time do you have for me to list the types of problems we're expected to solve? Murder, rape and robbery are the least common on a daily basis. It mostly has to do with people not getting along with people (communication breakdowns and differences in opinion). It's also telling people that their particular problem isn't an LE problem, even though we're the only ones open at 3:00 in the morning to listen to it.

would you mind telling me what your days are like?
                          I had this same conversation with the students. You ever see Cops? Third Watch? 10-8 (*shudder*)? Bad Boys? Lethal Weapon 1-Infinity? Our days are just like that. Except we have fewer bombs to diffuse, fewer chases, fewer fights, fewer shootouts, more opportunities for discipline, more lower priority calls and A LOT more paperwork.

There are days I can go 12 hours without a call for service and then there are days when I can't stop long enough to eat a proper meal. Even some of the busiest days, there isn't half the adrenaline that TV shows.

The best way to sum it up, I mark 10-8 (on duty) around 0545 (or 1745, depending on the shift I'm on) to start work at 0600 (or 1800). I try to make it to the office for briefing if it's required and check the boards, on days I'll try to grab a cup of coffee and something to eat. Then, I'll try to go to lunch around 1130 (or 0330). Finally, I try to go 10-7 (off duty) around 1815 (or 0615). Notice I left the in betweens blank. That's what I love about this job...you never really what's about to come down the pike.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunky
                            I have to agree with Patrick on that. The team needs to be tested in real life events to prove their worth. The last I saw, the world wasn't about to be overrun by paper targets and Red Men.

I just had a similar conversation with a group of High School students. It's too easy to read the "book" way or resort to force to settle problems, but it is crucial to use mind power.

How much time do you have for me to list the types of problems we're expected to solve? Murder, rape and robbery are the least common on a daily basis. It mostly has to do with people not getting along with people (communication breakdowns and differences in opinion). It's also telling people that their particular problem isn't an LE problem, even though we're the only ones open at 3:00 in the morning to listen to it.

I had this same conversation with the students. You ever see Cops? Third Watch? 10-8 (*shudder*)? Bad Boys? Lethal Weapon 1-Infinity? Our days are just like that. Except we have fewer bombs to diffuse, fewer chases, fewer fights, fewer shootouts, more opportunities for discipline, more lower priority calls and A LOT more paperwork.

There are days I can go 12 hours without a call for service and then there are days when I can't stop long enough to eat a proper meal. Even some of the busiest days, there isn't half the adrenaline that TV shows.

The best way to sum it up, I mark 10-8 (on duty) around 0545 (or 1745, depending on the shift I'm on) to start work at 0600 (or 1800). I try to make it to the office for briefing if it's required and check the boards, on days I'll try to grab a cup of coffee and something to eat. Then, I'll try to go to lunch around 1130 (or 0330). Finally, I try to go 10-7 (off duty) around 1815 (or 0615). Notice I left the in betweens blank. That's what I love about this job...you never really what's about to come down the pike.

what do you do while the blanks remain blank?

Comment

Soak it up! Or become more proactive. If it's been a long week with a bunch of OT, lots of calls or if I just got rid of a trainee, I'll call in a "Slug Day" where I just chill and 'trol. You'll find that pacing yourself is a good thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4640 users online. 257 members and 4383 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X