Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do departments view expired registration?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do departments view expired registration?

    Hey guys,


    Just wondering how departments view expired registration violations?

    Background info

    I had just recently brought my car in for inspection, and the check engine light come on. So I spent $900 to get repairs done to make the car pass inspection. The auto shop "reset" the systems in my car, and told me that I needed to drive the car around for little while so that the system can get up and running again, and that the engine light will turn off. So while doing this, (cruising through my neighborhood), get stopped by the local PD for expired tags. I explained to them the situation with my car, and they just told me to go get the inspection done and take the paperwork to the municipal court. The officer told me that although its a non-moving violation, if I go take care of business, the citation will "disappear". Of course I'll go handle it because I don't want to turn it into a warrant, but I'm not worried about it disappearing, since I'll be disclosing it on my department applications. That being said, do departments look at this type of violation in a more negative light than other comparable violations? Just curious, since I have a perfectly clean record until this came up (I took pride in that haha). Thanks for any insight!

  • #2
    Pull them over and cite them. Exp tags not high on my list though.
    John 3:16

    Comment


    • #3
      In New Jersey expired tags get your car towed. As per the statute.
      "This $hit is chess not checkers" - Best advice I ever got on this job.

      Comment


      • #4
        How expired were they??? In Arizona a judge won't find you responsible unless it's over a month, which is when I start pulling people over and citing them. Also why weren't you given a temporary registration?

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm confused you ask about expired registration but it sounds like you had an expired inspection???

          Comment


          • #6
            We don't do inspections in MI. So to me, they sound dumb.

            Expired registrations... as a background investigator I could red flag it for a possible responsibility issue that I I'd look into. A one time infraction, a few days or weeks past expiration I wouldn't spend a lot of time on.

            As a cop on patrol, I'll write you for expired and odds are your insurance is expired too.

            Good luck!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
              Hey guys,


              Just wondering how departments view expired registration violations?

              Background info

              I had just recently brought my car in for inspection, and the check engine light come on. So I spent $900 to get repairs done to make the car pass inspection. The auto shop "reset" the systems in my car, and told me that I needed to drive the car around for little while so that the system can get up and running again, and that the engine light will turn off. So while doing this, (cruising through my neighborhood), get stopped by the local PD for expired tags. I explained to them the situation with my car, and they just told me to go get the inspection done and take the paperwork to the municipal court. The officer told me that although its a non-moving violation, if I go take care of business, the citation will "disappear". Of course I'll go handle it because I don't want to turn it into a warrant, but I'm not worried about it disappearing, since I'll be disclosing it on my department applications. That being said, do departments look at this type of violation in a more negative light than other comparable violations? Just curious, since I have a perfectly clean record until this came up (I took pride in that haha). Thanks for any insight!
              Most of that makes no sense

              You drove your car with expired registration..............(all that crap about the inspection means NOTHING and sounds an awful lot like minimization)

              It's a "non mover" in most states and thus considered minor. As far as how it would be looked in a Law Enforcement Background.......................the same as ANY violation.
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #8
                We show no mercy. If it 's expired by even one day then you're getting a $722 ticket.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The violation(s) are not killers of and by themselves. The minimization could very well be.
                  At the end of the day, and all B.S. aside, ask yourself really how difficult is it to keep registration and inspection (if required) current?

                  This is what I would ask myself if I were doing a BI on you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Alright sorry my apologies, I meant I had an expired INSPECTION sticker. It expired 2 months ago, but the check engine light came on just before the expiration date of the last inspection. I couldn't pay for the necessary repairs in order to pass the inspection and get it renewed until now. I had to funnel all of my available money into paying for tuition. However I drove a different vehicle during the past two months, so its not like I was ignoring the law and driving with an expired inspection.

                    And I only drove the vehicle post-expiration date because I had to reboot the onboard computer (according to the repair shop). It was during this time that I was stopped.

                    Hope this clarifies somewhat. My apologies, I never double checked my OP!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post

                      And I only drove the vehicle post-expiration date because I had to reboot the onboard computer (according to the repair shop). It was during this time that I was stopped.

                      Hope this clarifies somewhat. My apologies, I never double checked my OP!
                      How did you get the vehicle to the inspection station ?
                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mulgrave600 View Post
                        We show no mercy. If it 's expired by even one day then you're getting a $722 ticket.

                        Damn!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          How did you get the vehicle to the inspection station ?
                          Well, you got me there. I had to drive it to the station. (Which is about half a mile from my house). I didnt have to drive very far though!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
                            Well, you got me there. I had to drive it to the station. (Which is about half a mile from my house). I didnt have to drive very far though!
                            Doesn't matter , does it.
                            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Doesn't matter , does it.
                              True, true! So i'm guilty of it in that regard. Well since i had to make a substantial edit to my original post:


                              How do departments view INSPECTION violations in regards to an applicant's background?

                              I do take responsibility, as i probably should could have planned financially to fix the issues before my tags expired.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 1679 users online. 141 members and 1538 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X