Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being a "Police Records Clerk" aid in landing LEO job?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being a "Police Records Clerk" aid in landing LEO job?

Hi everyone,

I've recently been offered a "Police Records Clerk" position and would like your opinion on whether is it worth pursing, keeping in mind my ultimate goal is to become a police officer. What I am looking to know is how much, if any, would this increase my chances of being hired as a LEO down the road?

In order to take this job, I would have to commute an extra 1hr-2hr per day and take a pay cut in the range of $5,000-$10,000/year. I currently work as a technical author writing owners manuals for Ford, I really like my employer and it's close to home which is great, I can even work from home and my hours are flexible. Not a job anyone would just leave but my heart is in law enforcement.

For what it's worth, I am 24 years old and pursing my LEO degree in the meanwhile. Just got picked up by a local Reserve unit as well, and am currently attending Reserve Police Academy.

Thank you for your feedback!

Originally posted by danielw View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've recently been offered a "Police Records Clerk" position and would like your opinion on whether is it worth pursing, keeping in mind my ultimate goal is to become a police officer. What I am looking to know is how much, if any, would this increase my chances of being hired as a LEO down the road?

In order to take this job, I would have to commute an extra 1hr-2hr per day and take a pay cut in the range of $5,000-$10,000/year. I currently work as a technical author writing owners manuals for Ford, I really like my employer and it's close to home which is great, I can even work from home and my hours are flexible. Not a job anyone would just leave but my heart is in law enforcement.

For what it's worth, I am 24 years old and pursing my LEO degree in the meanwhile. Just got picked up by a local Reserve unit as well, and am currently attending Reserve Police Academy.

The powers that be in the agency might know who you are and use that as a reason to take a chance on you PROVIDING you meet all qualifications , testing requirements, and at least are equal or better than the other applicants
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree totally with my colleagues' thoughts. That said, when all the dust settles , only you can make this decision. While it's true , we're not in this for the money,$5-$10,000 per year is a substantial pay cut. That can be critical if you have a family to support.

As my colleague has noted, you'll still have to meet ALL the requirements and standards for employment. This will include competing in a hiring process.

Should you be successful, you'll usually have some retirement seniority and other benefits of being "in-house" already.

Comment

I hate to do this - I really really do - but I have to disagree, with a caveat. You need to check your reserve rules - because it may state that you can not be a reserve if your main job presents a conflict of interest, and usually that means if your "real job" has ANYTHING TO DO with police work. That being said - your experience and desire as a reserve holds more weight than being a paper wrangler.

However if you can be a reserve AND do the clerk job without breaking the reserve unit policy, then that sounds like a sound idea.

I would check with your reserve policy first. But that's just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
          I hate to do this - I really really do - but I have to disagree, with a caveat. You need to check your reserve rules - because it may state that you can not be a reserve if your main job presents a conflict of interest, and usually that means if your "real job" has ANYTHING TO DO with police work. That being said - your experience and desire as a reserve holds more weight than being a paper wrangler.

However if you can be a reserve AND do the clerk job without breaking the reserve unit policy, then that sounds like a sound idea.

I would check with your reserve policy first. But that's just my humble opinion.
          Not a problem in Iowa
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Hi everyone,

While working for a public safety agency can get you recognized with that agency- if it were up to me and I were in your shoes I would stay exactly where I was. Taking a major pay cut, adding a commute (which will add several hundred dollars a year) and leaving a job you enjoy- all in hopes that such will possibly bolster your chances down the road is NOT what I would call a good idea.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Basically, you are accepting a sizeable pay cut and undertaking a long daily commute just to become a clerical worker at a police department.

Will this help you get a job with that agency? Maybe slightly. Being a clerical, it’s not going to give you any significant experience in police work that might help you score higher on their civil service exam for police officer. It will give you better familiarity the department and if you do a good job and they like you, it may score you an extra point or two on the oral, but that doesn’t make you a slam dunk. OTOH if you make a bad impression as a clerical, everyone on the oral panel may be waiting to ambush you.

I don’t see the benefits of a clerical position outweighing the cost. I suspect you will regret the change once you get there and it sinks in that you just quit a great job, took a giant pay cut and are now commuting for hours each day just to be a file clerk.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Being a records clerk seems like it would be a painfully boring job. Unless as mentioned above, it could get you an "in" that help you get hired, I would never leave what you described you have for doing that. Yea, you will learn a thing or two about warrants and NCIC, but nothing that you couldn't learn once you become a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by cantorzorn View Post
                  Being a records clerk seems like it would be a painfully boring job. Unless as mentioned above, it could get you an "in" that help you get hired, I would never leave what you described you have for doing that. Yea, you will learn a thing or two about warrants and NCIC, but nothing that you couldn't learn once you become a cop.
                  Another point to make is that while you will potentially gain some ‘insight’ into police operations as a clerk- it is completely esoteric. If as a clerk you were running NCIC/III or the like- it would likely be from a records management/case perspective versus what a cop does on patrol when encountering a subject.

Administrative staff is vital to a department but it is completely different from the work done on the streets- and vice versa.
                  Originally posted by SSD
                  It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Agreed. Seems like you'd be giving up a great job for maybe having a slight help when you apply. I think your reserve position will do you more good, experience-wise. I started out at my department as a civilian, and it helped some as far as learning computer programs, some policy, and knowing people, but it had absolutely no bearing in helping me get hired. I took the same tests as everyone else (3 times!) and went through the exact same training. My only leg up in training was I knew the streets, which is difficult for a lot of people.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's everyone, I sincerely appreciate it! I've really been on the fence on this one and you've all made great points. For now, I think I'm going to stick where I am, gaining experience from reserves while I finish off my degree.

Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for the reply's everyone, I sincerely appreciate it! I've really been on the fence on this one and you've all made great points. For now, I think I'm going to stick where I am, gaining experience from reserves while I finish off my degree.

Thanks again

I believe you've made a very wise choice. Continued good luck.

Comment

now go, young padawan... go forth with this knowledge
                          and see you soon, we might!

j/k.... wise choice, a steady employment history would fare you better anyway.
                          Last edited by wutzcrack3n; 01-22-2014, 09:12 PM.
                          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4679 users online. 210 members and 4469 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X