Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better job: Houston PD or Texas Highway Patrol?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better job: Houston PD or Texas Highway Patrol?

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm new to these forums, and I've been lurking here for awhile. I've always wanted to be a cop since childhood, and now I'm currently attending a 2 year law enforcement course at my local CC. After my classes end, I HOPE to be able to get into HPD, or any smaller Dpt in the suburbs. But one thing that's always been a goal of mine is to become a Texas State Trooper. I've been wanting to do that for my whole life and I'm fully prepared for any route or agency that my life guides me to.

That being said, does anyone have a preference of the two agencies? Assuming any of y'all have worked for HPD (I've seen a few state troopers here)

Follow your dream, i.e., you stated you've dreamed of THP.

That said, usually, PD's work much differently from Highway Patrols (Think: working "the street" vs. working highways, writing tix, working wrecks).
    Yes, very overly simplified, but in most jd's, pretty accurate. Not that one is better than another- it comes down to what would satisfy your "inner cop".
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Your next stop should be the websites operated by both Texas DPS and HPD. With respect to DPS, and about 99% certain with HPD. Should you be hired, you will attend and complete their academy.

This regardless of any CC academy or certification you may receive. Hopefully a Texas colleague can provide you with some additional insights.

Comment

if you are having trouble deciding, you should do ride alongs with both agencies and see what each have to offer. dps does mostly traffic and highway enforcement and aslo capitol security while hpd would be more of a wide variety of policework while working for the city hpd would be better pay
        but if im not mistaken since thp is state, they provide better benefits.

if you dont want to be confined to the city, you could also look into the harris county sheriffs department.

if you self sponsor or agency sponsor for hpd you can do a little more laxed academy, you go to thp and you can expect a more strict para military academy.
        sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Thanks folks! I know that I must work for 6 months at any police force before I can become a Trooper (my CC course is 60 Hrs) so THP will be my eventual goal.

I'd just like to know if THP handles calls similarly to AST (Alaska State Troopers). I know uite a lot about those guys, since my uncle is a trooper up there, and I'm a big fan of NatGeo's AST show!

Comment

no not really, the ast are more like county deputies are here and places that are out of local city jurisdiction.

troopers here are assigned areas and do highway patrol (hence the name)

they do backup local pds and deputies but primarily its traffic, accidents reconstruction and commercial motor vehicles.

im not one to know all about thp so if a trooper chimes in, they would know better than i would

your right, it takes 60 hours or 24 months leo exp or combination with miltary exp also. their website lists it all and a number to contact them

good luck to you on your endeavors
            Last edited by wutzcrack3n; 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM.
            sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Appreciate it!

Comment

Your choice should come down of the type of LE work you want to do. Both agencies are top notch, but as was mentioned, they have differing primary functions. Should you decide to go the PD route, there are several good agencies besides HPD in the area, Harris County has been mentioned, but also check out some of the other city departments in the area as well. I did nearly 8 years in one of them and was well pleased with the agency I worked for.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Yeah i'm also looking at Sugarland, Katy, Fulshear PD. All top notch departments!

Comment

What my other posters have said it depends what you want to do. Troopers don't do regular police work. They do traffic enforcement as they are the Highway Patrol for Texas. However, after enough years you can transfer to CID as well.
                    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
                      Thanks folks! I know that I must work for 6 months at any police force before I can become a Trooper (my CC course is 60 Hrs) so THP will be my eventual goal.

I'd just like to know if THP handles calls similarly to AST (Alaska State Troopers). I know uite a lot about those guys, since my uncle is a trooper up there, and I'm a big fan of NatGeo's AST show!

Perhaps the following will help you a little regarding Texas DPS. In common with it's sister Agency, the Alabama Department of Public Safety, Texas DPS is a full service, active, state police agency.

However, it will not be a first responder agency with respect to many calls other than traffic accidents, commercial vehicle enforcement, or calls for assistance to local agencies. The Texas Ranger component of Texas DPS provides the same investigative service and support to smaller agencies that the Alabama Bureau of Investigation provides to those agencies within the state.

Additionally, Alabama DPS provides EOD removal /disposal as those situations might require. With a city/county agency, you'll encounter a wider range of first responder activity. OTH, the Capitol Police Unit of the Alabama Dept of Public Safety, regularly interacts with, and assists the Montgomery Police Dept, and receives the same support reciprocally.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4960 users online. 328 members and 4632 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X