Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State and local cops subordinate/beholden to feds.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State and local cops subordinate/beholden to feds.

I see this theme promoted in movies and television regularly, and even among people I know. In one instance, a guy in trouble with the police dropped that his father is a federal agent, not in a polite professional-courtesy-please manner, but more like 'watch out' or it'll be your @sses.

Do you encounter this misconception among the public often? Is it frustrating? Does it grind your gears you when you see it perpetuated in movies/TV?
    Ears open. Eyes forward. Always learning.

Originally posted by GreenGiant View Post
    I see this theme promoted in movies and television regularly, and even among people I know. In one instance, a guy in trouble with the police dropped that his father is a federal agent, not in a polite professional-courtesy-please manner, but more like 'watch out' or it'll be your @sses.

Do you encounter this misconception among the public often? Is it frustrating? Does it grind your gears you when you see it perpetuated in movies/TV?
    Not really.....and I don't watch cop movies at all for the most part.

And if someone drops that mommy/daddy ect is a Fed, that is just ensuring that they are going to jail and/or getting a ticket......I don't think the general public realizes the level of animosity that is felt between more than a few alphabet soup agencies...
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Never been a problem in my area..........

I have been investigated by the feds................wasn't impressed.

WAS impressed when investigated by our State Bureau of Investigation.
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I dont worry about it. I know I am good to go on what I do, and if they really decide they want to play that game, you are not going to stop them anyway.

However, I refuse to back down just because somebody tries the 'my daddy is....', my uncle is..... crap. Doesnt work in the military either. It is the equivalent of saying 'my uncle is the Admiral for..... If I am doing my job right, they cannot touch me, and if I am not I probably deserve to get hemmed up.

Comment

I answer to my administration.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Great working relationship around here. Not above or below...equal doing different functions. The animosity is more between Feds themselves and "rival" federal agencies.

Touching on a comment below, I myself don't hear good things about the investigative skills of the "main" federal agency if you get my drift. Mainly academics and lawyers with no real world practice who think they know everything.
            sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
            DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

I have worked closely with FBI, ATF, DEA and USSS and every single time was a good experience. I've never met a Fed who had an attitude of superiority and in fact, they frequently admitted their shortcomings and lack of experience in certain areas.

Comment

Originally posted by dwebb3528 View Post
                I have worked closely with FBI, ATF, DEA and USSS and every single time was a good experience. I've never met a Fed who had an attitude of superiority and in fact, they frequently admitted their shortcomings and lack of experience in certain areas.
                Your experiences would be vastly different from that of mine. With the exception of the USMS----always are humble and willing to ASK if they can help

The major value of working with pretty much any Federal LEO agency is the "tools" and resources they can bring to the game.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Your experiences would be vastly different from that of mine. With the exception of the USMS----always are humble and willing to ASK if they can help

The major value of working with pretty much any Federal LEO agency is the "tools" and resources they can bring to the game.
                  Yeah I figured everyone is different, most of my experiences with them stem from joint investigations, my department is large enough where we dont really need their tools and resources. Sometimes, but rarely.

Comment

When I'm dealing with crazy people and they don't like my answers to their questions or solutions to their problems I'll tell them to call the FBI or ACLU....I'm more inclined to give the ACLU number to the crazy people and let them deal with it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
                      When I'm dealing with crazy people and they don't like my answers to their questions or solutions to their problems I'll tell them to call the FBI or ACLU....I'm more inclined to give the ACLU number to the crazy people and let them deal with it LOL
                      Thanks to the local ACLU, we don't even have to give numbers out anymore! LOL. They created an app to oversee us and get the details right to them

http://www.nyclu.org/app
                      sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                      DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

I work with ABC agencies almost daily. I hate them all. They DO NOT LIKE PLAYING IN THE SANDBOX and most of the time don't work well with the locals as a whole, granted I have worked with some individual agents and have had great working relationships.
                        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

To the OP. Don't believe the crap you see in movies. I seldom watch a "cop" flic because they're 99>9% B.S. I've had both and good and bad experiences with the Feds. As a colleague noted quite correctly, most of their angst is with another Federal agency.

Comment

"So you have a relative that works for the fedral government? Good, maybe they can try to explain to you why you are being arrested and/or gettting a ticket."
                            What Is A Veteran?
                            A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I have been investigated by the feds................wasn't impressed.

WAS impressed when investigated by our State Bureau of Investigation.
                              That the reason most PD's here in Texas contact the Texas Rangers for help and not the feds. The feds seem to just get involved when they feel like they need too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4563 users online. 288 members and 4275 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X