300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreational Marijuana and LEO's

I have been curious ever since recreational marijuana was legalized in Washington and Colorado if LEO's were allowed to smoke marijuana in those states. I lean towards yes but I didn't know if the police departments would put a policy restricting LEO's from the use of marijuana. Thanks for the info guys.

While I don't think it's a good idea to be legal. I don't know how the agency could prohibit the use of a legal substance.
    1*

Comment

I hear the whole squad likes to pass around a fat one over a doughnut and coffee before each shift.

But seriously, I doubt you'll find a cop who does. "Wanna be a cop? Like weed? Come work in Washington, because we've got both!"

Comment

Originally posted by vdfnco View Post
        While I don't think it's a good idea to be legal. I don't know how the agency could prohibit the use of a legal substance.
        Maybe because it is still illegal under federal law no matter what state you are in.
        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Maybe because it is still illegal under federal law no matter what state you are in.
          This ^^^^. All police officers swore an oath to uphold all laws, it is illegal under federal law, and this preempts whatever stupid laws the states want to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle_thilmany View Post
            I have been curious ever since recreational marijuana was legalized in Washington and Colorado if LEO's were allowed to smoke marijuana in those states. I lean towards yes but I didn't know if the police departments would put a policy restricting LEO's from the use of marijuana. Thanks for the info guys.
            You really think a police department is going to allow its officers to use a Schedule I illegal drug?

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
              You really think a police department is going to allow its officers to use a Schedule I illegal drug?
              Remember that TODAY it is the policy of the US DOJ to not mess with prosecuting small marijuana cases in the states that have chosen to decriminalize it's use in some way.

TOMORROW the DOJ might change that policy-----------or the next administration might change the policy

Yea, lots of reason why an agency would want to prohibit the use of a federally illegal substance

Comment

Recreational Marijuana And LEO's

.....I don't know how the agency could prohibit the use of a legal substance.
                Actually, they CAN prohibit use of a legal substance. In fact, I think we have had that discussion right here on this forum. Some agencies have prohibited the use of tobacco in ANY form on duty AND off duty.
                Last edited by Jim1648; 09-16-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jim1648 View Post
                  actually, they can prohibit use of a legal substance. In fact, i think we have had that discussion right here on this forum. Some agencies have prohibited the use of tobacco in any form on duty and off duty.
                  bazinga

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                    Actually, they CAN prohibit use of a legal substance. In fact, I think we have had that discussion right here on this forum. Some agencies have prohibited the use of tobacco in ANY form on duty AND off duty.
                    Agreed, we've already had this discussion.

Comment

Just because it's legal, it doesnt mean that employers cant fire your *** for using. employers can still have a drug free workplace, which it will be for a long time to come!
                      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Sorry OP, but your dreams of being that "mellow and relaxed" cop that can just bond with the thugs over a fatty before you haul him off is not going to happen. Yes, an agency can completely set their rules for employees activity, especially when it involves a mind-altering drug - legal or not. They do it with alcohol use too.

Comment

It would be a lot more subjective and problematic to work out hen it's out of your system and you're clear for duty compared to alcohol, legal or not.

Comment

Everyone one who wants an officer who's been smoking marijuana responding to your house when you're in need, raise your hands.

Comment

you know how much weight I would gain!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2345 users online. 140 members and 2205 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X