Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be or not to be?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to ask some questions. I am interesed in becoming a police officer and was wondering how you like you jobs? What are some of the highs and lows of police work? What can I expect if I persue this career?

While i'm no cop, as a prior serviceman i can tell you that the decision your trying to make is a tough one, and is one i'm debating myself.

This much i can say from experience. Wearing a uniform is a commitment, and a dedication not to be taken iightly; especially if part of wearing that uniform requires you to wear a sidearm. There will be things you won't like to do or see, and there maybe consequence for your actions or inactions. There will be occupational h***ards that you'll have to accept. I know i'm stating the obvious but i just feel compelled to say it.

Oh ya, one of the most important lessons ive learned is that complacency kills. I'm pretty sure this applies to LE. I'm pretty sure you can never allow yourself to become complacent.

Just 2 cents worth from another guy trying to make up his mind too.

Comment

Take a moment and visit my web page. This question has been asked on several occassions and my reply on a couple of those were made into this.

http://www.geocities.com/ddmckenzie2000/index.html

There are 3 different pages listed. Two are on the Police question and the third is dedicated to my late wife, which you can skip if you prefer...
      Take your hands off the trunk of the car and I'll make your Birth Certificate just another worthless document!!

Comment

David, I visited your site.

Well done. I think you did a great job with it. I also plan to become a police officer after i finish up college, and its always a question going through my mind of what it takes and things of that nature.

Your site answered the questions.

Thank you

-Dan

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the link David, lots of good info. I figured that this question had been aske alot on here, I just had no luck finding the topic. Ducimus what branch of the service were you in? I am in the Navy at the moment.

Comment

I was a Combat (or civil, take your pick) Engineer in the AF. More specfically i was carpenter/mason in Red Horse. AF's version of Naval Construction Batallions.

Comment

My pleasure
              Take your hands off the trunk of the car and I'll make your Birth Certificate just another worthless document!!

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2005, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I am not looking for a reason not do this nor am I looking to hear people tell me what I want to hear. I am 95% sure that this is what I want to do when I get out of the military, so I guess what I am realy looking for is advice on the best way to approach this. What are things that you all would or could have done. I rushed into the military and ended up doing something I dont like becasue I did not look at all my options and I dont want to make the same mistake twice thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by pacificsharp
                    I am 95% sure that this is what I want to do
                    What are your reasons? I have a mental list of my own, and ive been contemplating posting my reasons for considering a career in LE, and asking if my reasons were the right ones.

I mean, if im considering LE for all the wrong reasons, then maybe i need to rethink this. At least this is what i'm thinking myself in my own decision.

Comment

Originally posted by pacificsharp
                      I rushed into the military and ended up doing something I dont like becasue I did not look at all my options
                      What exactly don't you like about the military? LE is paramilitary in nature and depending on which department you choose, there will probably be quite a few similarities.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2005, 02:14 AM.

Comment

David, I looked at your site and the tribute to your late wife. I have to say, I had tears streaming down my face and I'm far from the mushy type. What you wrote about her was truly beautiful and is an obvious reflection of your character. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickM98
                            What exactly don't you like about the military?
                            I don't like my job, I am a Firecontrolman, meaning I work on Radar, missile and gun systems aboard ships. It involves allot of electronics. I had to spend almost two years in school studying electronics and more specifically display systems aboard Aegis Cruisers and Destroyers which is my specialty. Sounds cool but turns out I really dislike working on electronics, and the whole Janitor thing is not much fun either. Anyone who was or is junior enlisted knows what I am talking about there. As for the rest of my military experience I have had a pretty good time. I wanted to stay in, I tried to cross rate, change jobs a couple of times but only to be denied because I am told my job is to important to let me do something else.

Comment

Heh, originally i wanted to be a SP. But they told me there was no positions open. So i thought, "ok, maybe something marketable on the outside", so i thought Jet mechanic. Naturally that was full.

I ended up enlisting under "General Mechanical" since i have a high apptitude mechanical score on my ASVAB (97 i think it was). Last week of basic training, i find out they were going to make me a carpenter.

Funny thing was it grew on me. I enjoyed being outdoors, and you felt damn good about yourself after a hard days work. Sometimes it felt like you were slave labor working 6-14's. After awhile, i thought of myself as a professional combat engineer. I didnt want to cross train. Infact, only reason im out now, is becuse i didn't.

All in all, its funny how things work out differently for people.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4387 users online. 270 members and 4117 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X