300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Justice Degree

From what I have seen in this forum, Criminal Justice degrees aren't worth a whole lot. I'm working on my bachelor's in CrmJ right now and I just want to be a patrol officer. Supposedly Washington State University has one of the top 10 criminal justice programs in the country. If it won't help me in getting a job with a PD or SO, then maybe I should just scrap the idea. What do you guys think?

any degree is valued, even if it's in underwater BB stacking... it just shows that you're comitted to something, and that you have an education... not all of 4 yr colleges are about obtaining your degree -- there's a lot of life experience and common/general knowledge to learn -- keep that in mind

Comment

FORD - I agree with robocop, showing your commitment to higher education proves you will work hard. AS well any degree is beneficial to you... thats what all that "General Education" and "Liberal Arts" BS they talk about is for. The idea is to make you a "more well rounded person". I am one of the ones who play down CJ degrees, being I am in my last semester of my BA in Crim and already have an AA in Crim. The only main reason for my downplay of the curriculum is the focused area of study and the # of peopel obtaining this degree now days. Regardless I still enjoy the courses, and would not do well in anything else do to lack of interest. I live for this **** and sitting through a criminal theory class makes my day.

Stay with it, and be proud of the accomplishment and commitment you made. If your school is top 10, good for you, thats great and looks good as well.

Comment

I appreciate the responses guys. That makes me feel much better. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2005, 02:12 AM.

Comment

I'm currently working on my bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice and what all of my professors have told me is that I better be sure that I want to be a cop because that's about all a CJ degree is good for. Most departments in my area do require a degree, but like other people have already said, it doesn't really matter what the degree is in. Good luck!

Comment

Well I'll tell you this, I'm in the process in competing for one of the toughest police forces to get into in the south (if not the country) and everything helps. Just because I've almost got a degree puts me over the guy who doesn't have any education. I was told that whatever you have that makes you more marketable is essential because of the higher standards of this department.

Comment

Originally posted by RBrodowski
                I'm in the process in competing for one of the toughest police forces to get into in the south (if not the country)
                If it's one of the hardest departments to get into in the country, why don't they require a degree from all applicants?

Comment

Well not all ex-military guys have degrees, but they highly encourage everyone to get them. The background investigation is tougher than the FBI, as well as they have one of the hardest physical agility test in the state.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2005, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                      Who says? They do, or the FBI does?
                      Probably the recruiters from this mystery department, in an effort to scare their applicants.

Comment

I have a four year degree in Law enforcement administration. It's good for $125- a month bonus and that's it. The part of my degree I use on the job: critical thnking and evaluation, problem solving, being able to write a coherent report, could have been gained majoring in any number of things besides CJ.

Friend of mine had an interview with a local department recently where the chief brashly said that he thinks people with degrees are nothing but a bunch of spoiled party boys. This coming from the former chair person of the ohio police chief's association. He's anti-gun too. Frosted my balls; I worked two back breaking jobs to get through school and didn't have time to party.

Comment

Cobb County Georgia if you want to know the department. The FBI actually lets you have used cocaine for x amount of times and they'll still hire you, with Cobb it's basically pot once or twice but not in the past 3 years and even then you're questionable. Cobb is, from what I understand, one of the better funded agencies in the south so they actually have the resources to be picky.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2005, 02:13 AM.

Comment

If you notice I said a few threads up, that the background check was tougher.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4053 users online. 256 members and 3797 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X