300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachelor degrees to choose from?

I'm applying to a college by august 31st, but im still unsure of which bachelor degree would be best for me. Im not sure criminal justice is for me, and i was hoping that someone here could give me a list of BA degrees that would lead to a job in the field.

all help is much appreciated.

Any 4 yr degree would be sufficient.

One of the best cops I ever worked with had a degree in Mortuary Sciences
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Any 4 yr degree would be sufficient.

One of the best cops I ever worked with had a degree in Mortuary Sciences
      well, i guess id rather have a degree that would help me towards a policing career. I'm guessing that some degrees are better then others in that field, am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by JayFJW View Post
        well, i guess id rather have a degree that would help me towards a policing career. I'm guessing that some degrees are better then others in that field, am i right?
        Not really
        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No, you're half right. Some degrees are better, true, but they need not be related to policing to be beneficial.

Major in something that you have an interest in AND something that you can rely on at any time in life to make a living. You may get bored with policing, you may get seriously injured or disabled, you may get fired...you need a fallback plan.

CJ degrees are a dime a dozen. If you get terminated for example, it depends on why you were fired as to whether any other agency would touch you. Most wouldn't. Now that CJ degree is rendered basically worthless.

Comment

hmmm, what degrees would be more beneficial then? I can't think of a job i would enjoy more then being a cop and a BA degree that would assists me in the field sounds like a good fit for me.

Comment

Unless you then choose to pursue an academic career in the field, law school, any master's program, most entry-level professional positions, etc.

I'll echo that any degree will do and note that the same holds for most professional circles. It's basically assurance that you can think and communicate to a minimum standard and little more. Some have described it as being what having a high school diploma used to be; something to do with declining standards, no doubt. Anyway, it contributes to getting a foothold. From there, in most circles, its contributions cease.

Best of luck.

Comment

There's a 1,001 reasons why you should explore other degrees; first and foremost a CJ degree won't help you as much as you think. Did you read and understand what I wrote? There's another 1,001 reasons why you might not get to be a cop or remain a cop. Many of them beyond your control.

Meh, but who am I to give advice?...I did my 25 years, I've got my pension, my health and my management degree.

Comment

i plainly stated that i wasn't looking for a CJ degree, i wanted a different one.

well thanks everyone, I guess i have many more options to look over again.

Comment

No, you are not correct. In the hiring process a degree is a degree, whether it is CJ, physics or Medieval Italian Poetry, it is all the same.

Comment

i plainly stated that i wasn't looking for a CJ degree, i wanted a different one.

And what Chopshopcop plainly stated is that you should get a degree that would help you get a job outside of law enforcement. This way you have something to fall back on. Like he said go for whatever subject you are most interested in computers, business, physical therapy, etc.

Comment

I got my degree in Psychology, because it interested me and it is semi-related to law enforcement. I minored in Criminology. Looking back, I wish I had done some kind of Physical training/therapy as a minor, because I love that. Also, genetics interested me. As did Neuroscience....

The point is, get any degree you want, but WANT it. If you want to get a degree in international politics or physics, get it. College is a LOT more interesting and fun if you actually like what you are studying. The degree is there when you apply. Get it in what YOU want, not what you think some future department is going to want to see. Pick a subject that lights your fire and run with it.
                        "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

Also depends on where you're going to school. Some CJ programs are very well respected and are essentially "pre-law" oriented. But you should pick a major that interests you - history, philosophy, political science, journalism...doesnt matter. Do what you enjoy. Agencies will not punish you for having a degree in something other than criminal justice, and in fact it will likely help - especially if it's something like accounting or finance.

Comment

Did you come to inquire, or did you come to argue?? YOU approached us. You received several very cogent, very valid replies. You seem to be having a little problem with reading comprehension.

In case you missed it, here it is once more. Just about any degree, in any field or discipline, will do you well. Certainly, you'd want to avoid crap like Aids Awareness, The History of Basketball, or some totally useless garbage of that variety.

No one here can make up YOUR mind. That's your job. If there's a degree field out there which interests you, look into it. If it interests you, go for it.

Comment

I'm applying to a college by august 31st, but im still unsure of which bachelor degree would be best for me.
                              Then why are you applying for college?

Maybe get some work experience or learn a bit about what you really want to do with your life so you don't end up like the thousands of other drones with a useless college degree in a subject that doesn't interest them, all to the tune of thousands of dollars in student loans and no job prospects.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4500 users online. 263 members and 4237 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X