Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits of being a volunteer firefighter and EMT?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of being a volunteer firefighter and EMT?

Hi I was wondering if being a volunteer firefighter and EMT would benefit you in the police hiring process in any way or even some brownie points with the oral board or with the department?

You get to have courtesy lights and drive a sweet undercover looking car.

Comment

If I sat on your oral and you told me you were a voly FF, I would wonder why you are taking a police exam. I would also suspect you are probably just a Code 3 junky rather that someone who truly wants to be a cop. No doubt you would get a lot of extra scrutiny during your oral.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Status as a VF is really not going to help you all that much in a hiring process. In fact, it could have the opposite effect. Rightly or wrongly, Volunteer Firefighters sometimes have a rather negative reputation in some areas of a given state or locality.

In my personal experience, I've observed some at both ends of the spectrum. I agree totally with my colleague who suggested you'd get a lot of extra scrutiny at you oral. Were I on your board, a substantial amount of that would come from me.

Comment

No, it will not help you.

Comment

Depends if your going for a "public safety" department ie cross trained pd/sd with fd it may help. EMT will help with a few departments in Utah. Oh if you go for NPS or BLM vol ff/emt would help. As far as normal pd or sd you be prepared to explain why going leo route vs fire..... I had to.
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Depending one where you go it could go either way. It caused a ton of extra unwanted attention on me when I applied for my current gig since I was a volunteer and career firefighter. There was a lot of doubt as to why I wanted to leave the cush life to be the popo.

Comment

I agree it depends on where you are. When I lived in the more rural part of the state, it helped since fire and EMS were spread thin and the PD started as a public safety agency. A majorty of the guys were either fire certified from that or were VFF's before being hired. They also really liked EMT training due to EMS being hit or miss. You weren't expected to work a med call, but if there was a code or another officer was injured, they liked that you would know what you were doing. In the metro area I'm in now, the fire side isn't much help, but the EMS comes in handy since even though there is a lot more ambulances and hospitals, they can still be a ways out. It never hurts anyone's feelings to know they person you are working with has the training and tools to save your life if you get shot or stabbed.

When I got asked why I didn't want to go fire full time, it was a simple answer: I want to be proactive and problem solve as opposed to being reactive.
                Originally posted by Ceridwen
                Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

It can be a harsh wake up call for some former FF/EMTs turned police to realize they are no longer loved by everyone.

Comment

I went from getting smiles and waives to scowled at and truly hated. But the change gave me the opportunity to make the difference in my community that I wasn't able to with Fire/EMS.

Comment

In a lot of small communities it isn't unusal for public safety personnel to be both.

Our Chief Deputy decided to resign his position as the local Fire Chief when he got promoted to Chief Deputy because he didn't have time for both. He remains on the fire department.

Several officers in my county are also on the fire departments in the community where they live (in most cases NOT the communities where they work)

Our Sheriff is a paramedic-------------
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

See below.

Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglewrench View Post
                          It can be a harsh wake up call for some former FF/EMTs turned police to realize they are no longer loved by everyone.
                          I wish I could "like" this x 100.
                          SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I see nothing wrong with wanting to be cross trained.

as long as you do not outfit your vehicle with 500 blue lights. drive respectfully do your job and go home

By being a medic you could help someone who is injured. Don't make a negative name for yourself and you should be fine. During the oral board explain the calls you were on and how u think they may help in policework. If you got awards, it would be great to tell them about it as they could be interested in it.

Comment

It helps you to become familiar with emergency response procedures and such. Volunteering always looks good on a resume. Don't do it for that purpose though. If you want to be a firewhacker, be a firewhacker.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10705 users online. 467 members and 10238 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X