300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical dq?

I had a recent check up to get qualified to take physical education class in college I am a very active person I run cycle lift weights ect this is my life. I find out I have a condition called "Athlete's heart" my heart is a little larger because of all the activity I do I was cleared by own doctor after doing a sonogram ekg and stress test. Basically he told me that this is common among st people like myself and that I'm ok to participate would this medically DQ me?

Thanks

From the limited research I did (read a wikipedia article ) about Athetele's heart I don't see any reason why it would disqualify you. However I am not a doctor, nor am I involved in any agencies hiring. Just stay in good physical shape and maybe see a doctor again before you begin the hiring process. Good luck.

Comment

I'm not medically qualified to answer your question. Basically. two entities set medical standards for employment as Police Officers. They are a given state's Police Officer's Standards and Training (POST) or similar entitled agency. These entities will usually set the MINIMUM standards at which an applicant can be hired.

The individual agency to which an applicant applies may set medical standards which are higher than those minimums mandated by the state. However, they cannot waive or establish standards which are lower than the minimum.

Some agencies in some states may shy away from an applicant with heart related problems. This has to do with medical retirement/disability issues which can leave an agency financially liable for medical conditions related to heart issues. We have a California colleague who is especially adept at explaining these issues, and hopefully, he'll add some thoughts.

Should you apply? Absolutely. As a requirement of the Americans with Disabilities Act, you can be asked no medical questions except with a valid Conditional Offer of Employment. It is at this point that your heart situation "could" become an issue.

I'ts wise to keep in mind that your physical exam will be conducted by a Physician who will examine you, and report his/her findings to the agency based on their established medical standards.

Comment

Runningguy,

These are California’s heart standards http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Cardio.pdf While other agencies may have different standards, the principles behind California’s are fairly universal for much of law enforcement.

Print them out and take them to your doctor. Ask him to review them and tell you if he would pass or fail you if he we the police department’s doctor and was representing their interests and not yours.

That should give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Fixed for violation.
          Last edited by usmc_0352; 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc_0352 View Post
            OP, I'm not yet a cop but have direct experience with your dilemma. I just went through the hiring process for an agency in my area and the same thing came up. I'm also very active between martial arts, soccer, running and the military. I had an EKG done and I was told I had an athletic heart which as you pointed out, is slightly enlarged. I was told this was normal for some active individuals also but was sent to get an echocardiogram done to rule out anything else. That's basically an ultrasound of the heart. I've been given the go ahead to continue in my process. I also met a couple others who also had an athletic heart and had to get further testing. One was a semi-pro boxer and who runs 5 miles a day and another has been a runner most of his life. I won't worry too much if I were you but bring it up whenever you get to the medical of whichever process you're in. Have copies of the tests you've done and the presiding doctor will let you know where you stand within the standards of the agency you are applying with. Good luck.

Your post is in violation of the TOS, and could result in your being banned. I'm certain your intention was to assist the OP, however the ability to read and follow instructions, observe rules etc, are at the very basis of what departments expect of an applicant.

You do the OP no real service when you compare your situation to his, as there may be significant differences in your respective situations.

What is going to be critical for the OP, and this has been noted, especially in Post#4, is what the Department's examining physician reports to the agency based on their medical standards. Neither your experience nor mine is likely to have any significant bearing on this all important examination and it's findings.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Runningguy,

These are California’s heart standards. While other agencies may have different standards, the principles behind California’s are fairly universal for much of law enforcement.

Print them out and take them to your doctor. Ask him to review them and tell you if he would pass or fail you if he we the police department’s doctor and was representing their interests and not yours.

That should give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
              Great advice here. In the city I used to work for, we had applicants call our city doctor in charge of medical for new hires. The doctor, could often times. shed more light into their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Prep511 View Post
                Great advice here. In the city I used to work for, we had applicants call our city doctor in charge of medical for new hires. The doctor, could often times. shed more light into their situation.
                Sometimes that can be done, but with HIPAA ----most employer's doctors won't talk to applicants unless they have been given an initial offer of employment--------------which is why L-1 suggests talking to your OWN doctor for a ball park idea
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks everyone for you answers I'm actually in NYC so I have already taken multiple exam's. I am in various stages of processing for FD and PD but have not received any medical exam nor have I received any conditional employment offer I will use this advice and perhaps update everyone in the future thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by therunningguy89 View Post
                    Thanks everyone for you answers I'm actually in NYC so I have already taken multiple exam's. I am in various stages of processing for FD and PD but have not received any medical exam nor have I received any conditional employment offer I will use this advice and perhaps update everyone in the future thanks again.
                    Under Federal law (the American's With Disabilities Act or ADA) an employer is prohibited from gettng into your medical history except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment, which is the conditional offer. It is highly unlikely an agency will go over your records ahead of time and give you an answer because to do so would violate ADA. The closest you will get at this point is to go to your own doctor, ask him to pretend he is representing the other side and then render an opinion.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4916 users online. 306 members and 4610 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X