Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you guys make the decision?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How did you guys make the decision?

    Hi guys I was wondering how did you guys make the decision between law enforcement or what you majored in if you went to college? Right now I'm majoring in computer information systems and have an opportunity to persue a career in computers and make double what police officers make but I've wanted to become a police officer my whole life and now I can't decide what to do. Any help would be great. thank you

  • #2
    I didn't make a decision. When I was 6 years old I just knew.

    Listen up guy, you need to make your own life decisions. It makes absolutely no difference why any one us chose the path we took.

    -Good luck
    Certified troll.

    Comment


    • #3
      Very true sir. I guess I could combine them right? I could do the computer thing and gain experience for possible federal jobs and local police department jobs doing IT.

      Comment


      • #4
        One of the best cops I ever worked around had a degree in Mortuary Science.
        He kept his funeral director's license updated during his entire career as a cop

        Comment


        • #5
          Major in computers and then apply for an LE job. You may never even qualify or be chosen for an LE job. If you are able to land an LE job give it a year or two.

          You will probably know within the first 6 months if it is for you. If you do not like it, quit and get a computer job and then you can "make double what police officers make."

          If LE is your calling you can always find a way to make your degree work in LE.
          Last edited by cantorzorn ; 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was a criminology major, got my BS, but got started a management job with Publix Supermarkets. One day I chased down a shoplifter in the parking lot, the cops came, and I realized that I knew what I wanted to do.
            I'd be retired now, probably worth at least a million.
            Guess what? My son wanted to become a cop when he graduated two years ago. Guess where he is working and about to go into management??? Yep, Publix.
            That probably tells you a lot.....
            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!



            In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

            Comment


            • #7
              I wouldn't assume that everyone who went to college prior to entering into law enforcement had a conflict between their major and their career path, if I were you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Your computer degree could come in very handy as a police officer. There are a lot of opportunities once you become an officer to use the education you have received. No one here can tell you if being a cop is right for you, that is a decision you have to make on your own. Don't worry about what you chose to major in, finish your degree and then explore the police option if you so choose.

                I started my college career with a major in criminal justice. Looking back, that was a waste. I am now working full time as a cop and going to college for a business degree.

                Covman

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Eaglesfootball1313 View Post
                  Right now I'm majoring in computer information systems and have an opportunity to persue a career in computers and make double what police officers make ...

                  but I've wanted to become a police officer my whole life ...
                  Do the computer thing and when you are confortable you can become a reserve officer.

                  "Whole life"? You never wanted to be a NFL Quarterback?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cantorzorn View Post
                    Major in computers and then apply for an LE job. You may never even qualify or be chosen for an LE job. If you are able to land an LE job give it a year or two.

                    You will probably know within the first 6 months if it is for you. If you do not like it, quit and get a computer job and then you can "make double what police officers make."

                    If LE is your calling you can always find a way to make your degree work in LE.
                    I concur.

                    You might not have no aptitude for police work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When it comes to college degrees, always major in something that is marketable and you can actually use. I always wanted to be a cop so I got my degree in criminal justice and looking back I wish I would have majored in something different. It took me a year and a half to get hired on with my dept and in that year in a half I discovered that my degree didnt mean a whole lot to a lot of employers. You dont need a CJ degree to be a cop, you will learn more in the academy and on the streets. The benefit to having a degree is that some departments require one to even be considered and most depts will pay you extra for a degree.

                      Just my two cents.

                      Common sense goes a lot further in law enforcement than a degree...
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Eaglesfootball1313 View Post
                        Hi guys I was wondering how did you guys make the decision between law enforcement or what you majored in if you went to college? Right now I'm majoring in computer information systems and have an opportunity to persue a career in computers and make double what police officers make but I've wanted to become a police officer my whole life and now I can't decide what to do. Any help would be great. thank you
                        What aspect(s) are causing your indecision? Contrary to popular belief, you can make really good money being a cop, especially if you advance in rank. What kind of money do you expect to make in the IT field?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JB2245 View Post
                          What aspect(s) are causing your indecision? Contrary to popular belief, you can make really good money being a cop, especially if you advance in rank. What kind of money do you expect to make in the IT field?
                          I'm looking at starting pay for computers around 85, 000 and up. Starting pay for police officers in my area is between 35, 000 and 40, 000. If anything I might go federal with computers and use my ability to speak a fluent foreign language to my advantage. Thanks for the responses guys.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Che View Post
                            Do the computer thing and when you are confortable you can become a reserve officer.

                            "Whole life"? You never wanted to be a NFL Quarterback?
                            When I was a kid I saw police officers as heros!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                              I was a criminology major, got my BS, but got started a management job with Publix Supermarkets. One day I chased down a shoplifter in the parking lot, the cops came, and I realized that I knew what I wanted to do.
                              I'd be retired now, probably worth at least a million.
                              Guess what? My son wanted to become a cop when he graduated two years ago. Guess where he is working and about to go into management??? Yep, Publix.
                              That probably tells you a lot.....
                              I work as a Loss Prevention Associate and have gone through a lot of those. The rush is like no other and that attracts me to Law Enforcement.

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8216 users online. 250 members and 7966 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X