300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help on oral interview

Hello, I have a bachelor degree, and I'm about to ETS from the Army in a few months. My question is do you guys have good tips and resources to prepare for oral interviews in law enforcement hiring process?

Don't lie.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Common sense, confidence, not being full of crap.

Comment

If you follow the above advice, you should have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by career31905 View Post
          Hello, I have a bachelor degree, and I'm about to ETS from the Army in a few months. My question is do you guys have good tips and resources to prepare for oral interviews in law enforcement hiring process?
          Assuming you have been before boards of one sort or another in the Army already you should have some insight as to what they are all about.

My fellow posters have given some very direct and spot on advice. In 99.999% of oral boards you will be faced with some scenario questions that while LE centric, do not require law enforcement experience to answer. They want to get a feeling of your ethical compass, fortitude when challenged and ability to effectively convey your thoughts.

Something along the lines of : you respond to a domestic violence call and one of the parties is a police officer who you know well. The victim has visible injuries and demands an arrest be made. You determine the officer is the sole aggressor. The officer asks if you can just drive him to a friend’s house and forget the case. Knowing that there is the legal requirement to make an arrest in cases of domestic violence and that a domestic violence charge will end his career. What do you do?”

Or perhaps: while on routine patrol you stop a vehicle for speeding. Upon contact the operator turns out to be a close friend, and you both readily recognize each other. You determine the operator may be under the influence of alcohol and you observe an open container in the console. This friend has never been in trouble before and drives a truck for a living. You know a DUI conviction would cost him his job and he would be unable to support his family. He begs you to let him drive the remaining mile home and promises to never do it again. What do you do?

And one I also seen: while conducting a premise check you find a bank envelope with $2,000 in cash. There is no name or account number on the envelope and the name of the bank is that of a major chain. You know nobody knows you found the money and honesty the extra cash would help.
          What do you do?

While there are certainly WRONG responses to these hypothetical scenarios, they are borne out of real world events. There is a range of right answers and owning to the fact that you are not yet a LEO has no bearing as these are ethical questions. Either you have ethics and a moral compass or you don’t.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Don't use your teeth. Oh wait. Nevermind
            Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Answer the questions how you would answer them, NOT how you think they want you to answer them. Plus, all the above advice. : )

Comment

In addition to the scenarios Sgt. Jon discussed, quite often the oral board will rate you on these six areas. Consider how your background and experience relates to these matters and be prepared address any relevant questions that may come up.

Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks for the answers! One more question, do law enforcement employers consider an out-of-state applicant as an asset or a liability? So what are pros and cons of being an out-of-state applicant? Since I'm a single with no children, I'm geographically flexible.

Comment

Thanks for the answers! One more question, do law enforcement employers consider an out-of-state applicant as an asset or a liability? So what are pros and cons of being an out-of-state applicant? Since I'm a single with no children, I'm geographically flexible.
                    Depends on if you are a lateral or not. Most dept's really like laterals, form in-state or out-of-state. Hiring a lateral saves the dept easily $10k in training/academy costs. I've lateraled out-of-state once.

As far as new hires from out of state, I can't think of any liability in doing it.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                    (")_(")
                    Copy and paste Bunny into your
                    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

It means nothing to most agencies.
                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I would also suggest you spend a little time researching the agency and community you are applying for. It's very easy to do with a little Google time.

For example if you are asked, "Why do you want to work here?" It will look much better if can say something about how you like the size of the dept/city (big or small), maybe you like hunting/fishing and there were good areas around there, they have a historic downtown area, good schools for the kids, etc.

Show that you have genuine interest in the department/community and intend on being active with both. It is expensive to hire officers, and the department and city want to hire someone who will not just leave in year or two for a different agency.

Comment

I recommend showing up "Open Carry"... with an AR-15 or M4.... Shows you're serious...

OK, don't take that serious...

Learn the major players in the city and department or agency you're applying (Chief, Executive staff, mayor, city manager, sheriff, under-sheriff etc)
                          Read a recent report from the department or agency... Most of them have those online.
                          Understand how the city or county works
                          Understand how to explain the local examples of "community policing"... not just broad examples, but real things you've researched or seen for that agency....
                          Stick to your guns. Don't flip-flop answers....
                          Be yourself. Be honest.
                          They aren't looking for trained "text book" answers... They're looking for logical thinking, an ability to think under stress, and an ability to articulate your thinking.... Don't over look the ability to articulate...
                          And good luck...
                          Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                          drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4697 users online. 314 members and 4383 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X