Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about wearing your duty weapon.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wearing your duty weapon.

As a deputy in Mississippi, is it ok to wear your weapon at a school? Might be a silly question but when I want to go eat lunch with my daughter at school, didn't know if I had to leave it in the car or what. Is there anywhere you can't wear it besides the jail?

Thanks.

When you're working?
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Perhaps you should seek guidance from a supervisor. If you're on duty, you DO NOT leave your weapon in the car, you wear it. If that bothers some " Sheeple" then I see two options.
      1) Screw them.

2) Forego the meal with your child.

Personally, I prefer, and would exercise option #1. Just my .02 though.

Comment

Unless I am in a jail or I am ordered by a judge, I am NOT taking off my weapon.

Comment

Like PhilipCal said, speak with your supervisor and possibly speak with the principal and if there are any issues I would skip the meal or pick the kid up and take them out to lunch instead.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Going to the academy in a month so I haven't learned everything about being a patrol deputy yet. Maybe I got this confused with a civilian with a concealed weapon permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Priester68 View Post
              Thanks for the replies. Going to the academy in a month so I haven't learned everything about being a patrol deputy yet. Maybe I got this confused with a civilian with a concealed weapon permit.
              Okay, this clears it up for me as to why you even asked. You are new and just starting your career in LE, from your first post, I was gathering you were a LEO. I have done numerous demos with my K9 at local schools and have had administrators come up to me and say "You won't be wearing your gun when you are doing this right?" I chuckle and say yes, and my training aids will be real as well. It hasn't been a problem for me, but I suppose they can say no thanks to a demo because I am not allowed to be in uniform performing official duties without being under arms.

Comment

Guess I should have mentioned that to begin with. Thanks.

Comment

Best of luck to you in the academy, stay safe.

Comment

Glad you said this. Because I was think 'no police would ask that question'. But being new you didn't know. In uniform, in public, have gun(s).

Good luck with the academy.
                    1*

Comment

As a deputy in Mississippi, is it ok to wear your weapon at a school? Might be a silly question but when I want to go eat lunch with my daughter at school, didn't know if I had to leave it in the car or what. Is there anywhere you can't wear it besides the jail?

Thanks.
                      To answer your question, along with the "jail", "psychiatric hospitals" and "court houses" are common places where I'm required to secure my duty weapon.
                      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Going to the academy in a month so I haven't learned everything about being a patrol deputy yet. Lemme know when you do. Maybe I got this confused with a civilian with a concealed weapon permit.
                        Are you already sworn law enforcement? If not then be careful about where you're carrying concealed. I would imagine as in most states, CCW in Mississippi does not extend to schools.

With my agency, LE deputies are required to be armed when off-duty and out and about in the county. Detention deputies are exempt from having to get a CCW permit, but they're carrying as a private citizen and not as a cop.

Comment

Thanks.
                          As a LEO you can and should have your firearm on if visiting a school in uniform; the same would apply if you are in plain clothes or off duty in most circumstances. There is no reason aside from a few exclusionary areas* where as a LEO you should not have your duty weapon on when on duty and in most cases when off duty and when in-line with departmental policy.

If this is your first visit to the school and they dont normally have the police visiting, stop by the office in advance of lunch period and let them know you are there to have lunch with the little one. Just bear in mind that in cases where the police rarely make an appearance there may well be questions, looks and more questions. Also, depending on the grade of your child…well you know the bit about getting r***ed by her classmates that daddy is a cop.

*Exclusionary areas “may” include: courtrooms, certain treatment areas in medical facilities, correctional facilities, certain federal buildings, the sterile area of an airport and the like. I say certain because this is not an absolute/hard and fast rule across the country and should serve as a general guide only.
                          Originally posted by SSD
                          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Thanks for the advice. These forums are great. Trying to soak up all the info I can before I enter the academy.

Comment

i have been to my kid's school in and out of uniform. The only time i am not carrying at least my back -up weapon is if i'm on a airplane and even then its in my checked baggage.... and a jail and courtroom
                              Last edited by wutzcrack3n; 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM.
                              sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3358 users online. 152 members and 3206 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X