300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application help

Hello, I have a few questions about the academy and requirements which are not clearly stated in the application for my local PD (Jacksonville beach PD, Florida)

I am in the US Marine Corp as an infantryman/0311. I am getting medically retired from the Corp in 4 months time from PTSD and other injuries from my last combat deployment. Can anybody tell me if that would be a disqualification for the Police force? I know that for most federal positions I would recieve a 10point preference for injured veterans preference, but I cannot find the answer with a state Police force.

Another question I have is about getting LEO qualified. My local PD only states local colleges to where you can get certified. I was wondering what are the chances that my PD would pay my way through the academy?

Thankyou.

First of all, thank you for your service sir.

Only the specific department you're applying for would be able to accurately answer those questions; because every department is different with policies/procedures, especially those involving wartime injuries. Most departments do offer points for honorable military service. If that department offers colleges for certification; have you checked to see if the G.I. bill will cover the cost?

I do have a question for you though; are you absolutely sure law enforcement is something you want to do so soon right out of the military? The reason I ask is because there are many, many, many, things in this line of work that can negatively impact those with PTSD. One of my best friends had 8 years in the Army and had PTSD from his service. He went through the academy, worked for a year before he ran into something that reminded him of Afghanistan. He was terminated a week later for his conduct after that. He ended up wasting a year of his life, and going through an entire academy that was now useless to him.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lcpl.holland View Post
      Hello, I have a few questions about the academy and requirements which are not clearly stated in the application for my local PD (Jacksonville beach PD, Florida)

I am in the US Marine Corp as an infantryman/0311. I am getting medically retired from the Corp in 4 months time from PTSD and other injuries from my last combat deployment. Can anybody tell me if that would be a disqualification for the Police force? I know that for most federal positions I would recieve a 10point preference for injured veterans preference, but I cannot find the answer with a state Police force.

Another question I have is about getting LEO qualified. My local PD only states local colleges to where you can get certified. I was wondering what are the chances that my PD would pay my way through the academy?

Thankyou.
      The PTSD is going to be an uphill battle with convincing a dept.'s doctor(s) that you're ok to work as a police officer. Other than that, some dept.'s pay for training, others expect you to self-sponsor than apply.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

as long as its an honorable discharge, you wont be disquailified and are eligible for the extra points. if its for medical you might want to get ahold of the pd and ask the recruiter. some places will let you go through the academy on there dime if they hire you once you have went through the process with them, another question to ask the recruiter. if they dont you can always self sponsor yourself through.
        go to there website and it should list all the minimum requirements as well as the disqualifiers under the recruitment section. if its civil service and you are not required to be certified to apply, then they will most likely send you to the academy.
        sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Ok thankyou very much for the help sir's. As Jacksonville Beach PD's web sight doesn't specify much information at all I figure ill take a trip down to the station next time I am home and see if there is any officer that I could talk to. Also a combat medical discharge is considered honorable, as I find out a few weeks back. Once again thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by Lcpl.holland View Post
            Ok thankyou very much for the help sir's. As Jacksonville Beach PD's web sight doesn't specify much information at all I figure ill take a trip down to the station next time I am home and see if there is any officer that I could talk to. Also a combat medical discharge is considered honorable, as I find out a few weeks back. Once again thankyou
            I think you missed what others stated/suggested. You mentioned PTSD. That will be a hard issues to deal with when applying for any type of LE job. Yes you can get "points" however, if I were you, I would get to the VA first and get those issues backed up and compensated for to begin with before applying. With that, if you are going to claim PTSD, it will be a uphill battle when it comes down to the background portion of the process/pysch, etc.

All medical discharges from any branch of service are Honorable. Whether it be if you did 1 day in basic to 19 years. Best of luck to you.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

In most states, every law enforcement candidate is evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

Beyond that, nobody here can give you a straight answer because this is a medical issue that cops lack the training and expertise to evaluate.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I am not going to hit on the PTSD, others already have.

As far as sponsoring/academy, I will say this. The only way agencies will generally pay your way through the academy, they have already hired you contingent on successfully passing the academy and passing the state test. So, in that case, your first step would be to apply to the agency and get hired.

That being said, you can self sponsor through the academy. I did, and used Pell grants to pay for it. If this is the course of action you are interested in, you should talk to the financial department of the academy you want to go through, and they should be able to answer all your questions about what financial aid they can work with. I know that when I went through, TA would pay for Marines to go, but not the Navy (I am in the Navy, and went through with a Gunny....hence why I had to use the Pell grants). Since TA would be out of the question, since you would be off of active duty, check out the GI bill. They just changed parts of it around again, but I honestly dont know/remember what those changes were.

Once you successfully complete the academy, you will have to take a state test and pass. Then, when an agency picks you up, they apply for your certification. You have 4 years from the day you start the academy to get hired and have your certification activated, or you have to do the academy again. If you are with an agency and leave, you have 4 years from the date you leave the agency to get rehired, or you have to do the academy again.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Comment

In Florida, we do offer veteran's preference the same way the federal positions offer them. 5 points for veterans and 10 points for veteran's with a service connected disability. As long as you check out during your psych and medical portion of the exam, you should be fine. All you need to do is provide them with a DD-214 once you sep.

Also, there are almost no departments in Florida that will pay for you to go the academy. The current economy and amount of veterans returning from OIF/OEF has provided a greater supply of applicants than available jobs. There are not really any departments in NE Florida that will pay for the academy either, since most of the ones offering sponsorships are down south. Your best bet would be to research academies in Florida, and use the GI Bill to pay for them. And this is speaking from personal experience.

Again, Calling JBPD would clear up any specific questions.

Comment

As is usually the case, it's very difficult to add to the excellent thoughts of my colleagues. All of your very valid questions will be pretty much agency specific. One of my colleagues touched on the PTSD as a possible medical issue, and that's about as far as any of us can go in terms of medical requirements.

Your best friend here is probably going to be personal research. At this point in your plans, I'd suggest that you not limit yourself to merely researching one agency. Much of this research can be done "on line". Many agencies have excellent websites which can provide you with considerable information concerning that agency.

Don't be afraid to contact H/R Personnel, or Recruiters. As you do this, keep in mind that the competition for entry level LE positions is extremely fierce. There will be literally hundreds of applicants for each opening a given department has.

I'd get started on your research now. Have a plan, but be as flexible as you possibly can. Best of luck in your efforts, and sincere thanks for your service.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4431 users online. 280 members and 4151 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X