300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 days on, 2 days off, 8 hour shifts

Is this as bad as it gets? Some departments run their shifts this way. That means some guys will have maybe tuesday and wednesday off every week. What about people with families that would like a traditional weekend off every once in a while, or something like that. It just doesn't happen?

Bummer. I got hired and am attending an academy soon for a department that schedules this way. That's really the only downside I can see for the department. Oh well, I'll suck it up...

Comment

For departments that schedule this way, typically do people bid (by seniority) for their days off, the same way they do for which detail/precinct they want to work?

Comment

Maybe in 20 years you will be able to have every Saturday and Sunday off!

Comment

i will add salt to the wound: if you work early mornings you only get one day off with that schedule. Meaning you get off at lets say 0600hrs on your saturday. Get home maybe get some sleep. Then have a full day off the next day then back to work the following day. The schedule sucks all around. I have no idea why departments just dont go to either 10'2 or 12's.
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

This is the stupidest schedule in law enforcement, and departments that still schedule this way need to get with the times, and get out of their 1970's mentality.

No reason why most, if not every department in the country should not be on a 4/10, 3/12, 4/2, or some other kind of modified schedule by now.

Comment

Largest sheriff's department in the world and I've been working a 5/2 40 hour week for the better part of 23 years...Most on early mornings both in patrol and as a sergeant in custody. (Now I'm an admin POG working at HQ with a flex 40 hour schedule with weekends and holidays off, but that took 22+ years to get here)
              Carpe Noctem

Comment

It took me well over twenty years to get weekends off. 5/2/40 hr week does seem sort of ancient though, especially since there are so many imaginative ways to schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                  This is the stupidest schedule in law enforcement, and departments that still schedule this way need to get with the times, and get out of their 1970's mentality.

No reason why most, if not every department in the country should not be on a 4/10, 3/12, 4/2, or some other kind of modified schedule by now.
                  4/10 and 3/12 takes more staff to have the same number of people on the streets.---that is a true fact.

3/12 is extremely more expensive to the taxpayer and many departments that went that way in the 1990's are trying (at least the administration is) trying to figure out a way to go back to at least 10 hr shifts.

The 10's & 12's were usually given to the troops as a concession by administration at some point in time (tough budget days) and now are hard to take away

Everyone knows the schedule when they get hired and like the OP stated -----they put up with it.

I spent 27 yrs doing a 5/2 schedule................15 of them on MIDNIGHTS where you really only get 1 day off.............
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My department schedules this way and I had Wednesday\Thursday off for six years. When I did get better days off they weren't my first choice either. If hired elsewhere I will take middle of the week days off but I am not looking forward to it. It's really rough never having a weekend off. Really, really rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      4/10 and 3/12 takes more staff to have the same number of people on the streets.---that is a true fact.

3/12 is extremely more expensive to the taxpayer and many departments that went that way in the 1990's are trying (at least the administration is) trying to figure out a way to go back to at least 10 hr shifts.

The 10's & 12's were usually given to the troops as a concession by administration at some point in time (tough budget days) and now are hard to take away

Everyone knows the schedule when they get hired and like the OP stated -----they put up with it.

I spent 27 yrs doing a 5/2 schedule................15 of them on MIDNIGHTS where you really only get 1 day off.............
                      So where are the facts I would love to see them as to 10's or 12's costing more and taking more personnel to cover. If thats the case how is just about every, expect for the LARGEST SD that's because we are still trapped in the 80's but hey we just got computers, PD/SD in CA can do just fine with it. The schedule is no different to that of a fire department schedule.

I've sat down at work and worked out a 10 hour schedule and it worked just fine. The big issues lays with guys wanting certain days off. Just do a shift bid every 3-6 months or flip flop it. It works out so that every one works either Saturday or Sunday but not both. It will give some normality.

Or here's a thought you want weekends, nights and holidays off find another career outside of law enforcement and emergency services.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                        So where are the facts I would love to see them as to 10's or 12's costing more and taking more personnel to cover. If thats the case how is just about every, expect for the LARGEST SD that's because we are still trapped in the 80's but hey we just got computers, PD/SD in CA can do just fine with it. The schedule is no different to that of a fire department schedule.

I've sat down at work and worked out a 10 hour schedule and it worked just fine. The big issues lays with guys wanting certain days off. Just do a shift bid every 3-6 months or flip flop it. It works out so that every one works either Saturday or Sunday but not both. It will give some normality.

Or here's a thought you want weekends, nights and holidays off find another career outside of law enforcement and emergency services.
                        Talk to the bean counters at your department.....................they will confirm
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                          i will add salt to the wound: if you work early mornings you only get one day off with that schedule. Meaning you get off at lets say 0600hrs on your saturday. Get home maybe get some sleep. Then have a full day off the next day then back to work the following day. The schedule sucks all around. I have no idea why departments just dont go to either 10'2 or 12's.
                          not sure how you figured this but if you work 10pm - 6 am you would be off all day saturday (yes u would sleep someof that ) then not be back in till 10 pm Monday which means you had most of sat and all night sat, all day and night sun, and all day mon. much more then 1 day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
                            not sure how you figured this but if you work 10pm - 6 am you would be off all day saturday (yes u would sleep someof that ) then not be back in till 10 pm Monday which means you had most of sat and all night sat, all day and night sun, and all day mon. much more then 1 day off.
                            But you only get one FULL day (calendar day) off.

I worked the shift for 15 yrs.......................you get parts of 3 days off but only one full day

If you have F/S off you get off of work at 6 am Friday (your "day off")

You then have all of Saturday off) and go back to work at 10 pm Sunday.
                            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
                              True you would get of at 0600hrs Saturday morning. But unless you live only 10 mins from work you wouldn't get home till lets say 0700hrs then crawl into bed and get some sleep. Get up and do what ever you plan on doing. Then unless your superman and don't care about officer safety of yourself or your partners you would get a nap in on Monday some where plus what ever your commute time into work. So like Iowa said you get only 1 FULL DAY OFF.

@Iowa its not some much the bean counters its more or less the OG's not wanting to change and scheduling personal having to work for once. The department that I was with prior, but still with the same County, had all the shifts 8's 10's and 12's, varied on where you worked. We had great coverage across the board and guys where happy. the guys on 12's love it because had a mini vacation every other week. At the facility I worked it went smooth he always had a minimum of 6 on with maybe 1 spot of OT. But it worked. That 8 hrs a week well the Sgt let you either get off early or come in late. I did the 4 hrs OT because it was a wasted for me not to. I have heard other departments using that day as a training day so no ot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5957 users online. 298 members and 5659 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X