300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightbar Battle

oook so whats the big hype with this new LED technology. I continue to read report after report regarding the LED lightbars being less offensive and distractive than strobe bars. What are your views from the street? LED's as effective and less distractive? Or is this another plume of smoke to buy the new stuff?
    The LED bars are sharp, however they dont seem to have as much warning power... I suppose good old halogens are always good

My dept is puttung all LED lightbars on our new cars and they are great. They are blindingly bright at night but can be dimmed to mildly blinding.

In my opinion, they are much better than strobes. Strobes can be distracting but these aren't nearly as bad. These are brighter, more colorful, and just look cool. They are great for traffic enforcement because they are so thin that people don't see them until it's too late.

If it were up to me, I would get a half led, half D-tech halogen rotator lightbar. When on the highway, more lights are always better.
    Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Comment

LED in lightbars is a good thing. The extra weight helps to lower the cars center of gravity and improves acceleration and handling. Led is not as bad as everyone thinks it is.
      Support Gaston!!!!!!

There is no hunting like the hunting of man!

PM me for all your Bail Enforcement Needs!

I also make more then $7.39 an hour now!

Comment

LED's are great, but it's still so expensive (the more blue you have, the more expensive it is). You can see those things FOREVER, you can usually get multiple flash ptterns (some are even completely customizable), they don't heat up, they draw less power and they last longer. The cost is the biggest drawback.

Comment

We have rotators yet. How effective are LEDs from say, 45 degrees?
          Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

Most of the ones I've seen are either angled on the ends like the Whelen edge or are wrap around, so they should be better than standard bars at any angle.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Whelen I saw a couple of years ago. The entire bar was LED and you could customize it completely, including a scrolling message that could go to mirror image when it hit the front. Downside...it was like $10K.

Comment

Deputy Joe...

Our department just went to all LEDs on lightbars, front and rear flashers. You can see them from ANY angle. They are VERY bright - they get your attention much better in the daylight than anything I've seen previously. As for being distracting, I can't say as everytime I've come across someone using them I am looking at them to try and evaluate the effectiveness. I guess from that standpoint I'm not a good judge of their distractiveness.
              "Rangers Lead The Way!"
              "Sua Sponte"
              "Illigitimi non carborundum!"

Comment

takedowns?

Can they fit takedowns in those skinny light bars?
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Chief Wiggum...Takedown Lights

Ours have two front and one each left and right takedown lights - really bright too.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"
                  "Sua Sponte"
                  "Illigitimi non carborundum!"

Comment

they just put a couple of them on our cars. we have the whelen strobe/LED combo. i think the led's are too dim in the day time. i prefer the vector lights over both the strobe and the led's. nothings works like the good old halogen rotators. lol
                    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                    William Shatner

Comment

MMMMMMMMM.....LED's. Drool Drool Drool. All my warning lights are LED (most 911EP) but I have a plain old MX7000 all light lightbar. IF I could only afford a 911EP LED lightbar.

Comment

MX7000 with D-Tech's enough said for me :-D
                        I like LED lighting for deck and dash but not so much for bars, I agree that they are less than effective during the day time and nothing really works like a rotator during the day. Anyone out there use the california standard or the steady on stuff? I was always curious about that...

Comment

I think the biggest draw to LEDs are the fact that they draw much less power and seem to last, that's if they are similar to the LED streetlights. I'm assuming the new lights the Highway Patrol are putting around the third brake light are LED and they are plenty bright, but not painfully so. Very visible day and night. Down side is cost.

For my money I prefer rotators over strobes (my department has strobes) and would prefer to put money toward other things than spend the whole wad of cash on LEDs.

Just my two-cents.
                          "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

LEds work, but you better have a bunch of them. too often, people try to stress the compactness and just don't seem to notice that it does require a certain ammount of surface area. They do work well though. Personally, I think that they work best when they have some shade adn aren't in direct sunlight as in when they are mounted inside the car on the dash or rear deck. Direct sunlight really seems to degrade their effectiveness. But they do lase FOREVER and that ofsets the $$$.
                            Live your Tactics, Hope is NOT a method!

Comment

Any lights are going to fade a little when up against a light source like the sun. The early generation LED's had a reputation for dimming too much in daylight but supposedly the more recent ones are much more effective...
                              I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4455 users online. 306 members and 4149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X