No announcement yet.

Tackling someone without getting hurt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackling someone without getting hurt?

I've seen a few videos where an LEO tackles a suspect to the ground on asphalt/cement/pavement. How do they not hurt their hands/arms/legs in the process? Is there a technique involved?

It all depends on the situation. Most of the time, if you're tackling someone they have committed a somewhat serious offense or they have ran from you. If it's a running situation, then alot of the times you just do it the best way you can. Sometimes, you get a little scuffed up. It goes with the job. There are techniques, but much of the time technique goes out the window when you're dealing with a rapidly evolving situation. Short answer... if the guy stands still and doesn't fight back or run, then there are a number of simple techniques to save yourself from injuries. If they're not compliant, you do the best you can.

Comment

Land on top.

Comment

Don't tackle? I remember getting a rock shoved under my finger nail tacking someone at the academy. It hurt for a long time, so I remember and try and avoid tackling people if I can.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
          Land on top.
          Worked for me so far.
          Getting shot hurts. Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you. My personal thoughts is to avoid being shot by any caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by quadwing View Post
            I've seen a few videos where an LEO tackles a suspect to the ground on asphalt/cement/pavement. How do they not hurt their hands/arms/legs in the process? Is there a technique involved?
            Unfortunately there is no perfect technique where the LEO is not injured. This job has one of the highest number of injured on duty percentages of any other job out there...there is no other job out there, where on a weekly basis you might have to get into a physical confrontation with someone, even if it is not an all out fight, you might still be struggling to pull someone's hands behind their back, or have someone pulling away from you.....after years and years of that, it wears on your body eventually.

So far for me, two shoulder dislocations and one surgery, all from this job. Just keep that in mind, and always have a back-up plan when you come into Law Enforcement. Because it could be that one call you go to, and next thing you know you are injured and have to medically retire.

Comment

Personally, I like the land on top option.It's pretty effective, and looks good when the "media wonks" are looking.

Comment

Stay in excellent physical condition, land on top and let your rookie do the work!
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I always let my Sgt. do the tackling.
                  Retired

Comment

Taser em first

Comment

Cause we all played football, it's a job requirement.
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Go to you tube and search "Terrell Suggs", "Brian Dawkins", or "Brian Orakpo" and do EVERYTHING they do.
                        Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                        To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

I will only tackle my wife when shes standing by the bed...everyone else gets zapped.
                          This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                            Excuse me, I played rugby...

To OP: You kind of just try to "ride them down", but nothings perfect. If it's a foot pursuit and I am catching up to them, I usually just try and push them, it generally makes someone fall forward.

Nothing's perfect.
                            It's okay, he just needed the extra pads for protection.
                            The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. -Psalm 18:2

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                              Stay in excellent physical condition, land on top and let your rookie do the work!
                              Shouldn't the rookie being doing the tackling and you putting the cuffs on??
                              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8238 users online. 250 members and 7988 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X