300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph

I'd like to hear anyone and everyone's opinion on the polygraph. I've taken two, passed one and was deemed deceptive on another. I wasn't being deceptive. I gave the same answers on both tests and was as open as I could be. Both were for employment with different agencies and both focused on the same areas of interest. One was very detailed and took roughly 3 hours from start to finish while one was more of a brief overview. I failed the brief overview.

Any tips on ensuring I pass the next one? Or is it just whoever is giving the test this time? Also, will other agencies see this 'failed' polygraph as the plague and not give me a shot or will they even mind?

Thanks.

most agencies rely on their own polygraph results and don't pay much attention to others (positive or negative). if you fail a bunch of polygraph examinations, it would be cause for concern but that's not the case here.

Comment

I just want to add a follow up question:

What did the examine say to you(sworn LEO's) at the end of the test in terms of passing or falling?

I wanted to start this topic but OP already did and that was the 1 question i really have, so instead of starting a new thread I just wanted to add...hope no one minds...sorry

Comment

Search is your friend, there's a ton of threads on this:
        http://forums.officer.com/t182025/
        http://forums.officer.com/t181097/
        http://forums.officer.com/t180131/
        http://forums.officer.com/t180105/
        http://forums.officer.com/t178117/
        etc. etc. etc.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

i was told i passed at the conclusion of all the pre-hire polygraphs i took

Comment

There is nothing any of us can say, to make any of you feel better about walking into a polygraph/CVSA. Just take it, be honest and the department will let you know (sooner or later). The reliability or accuracy of the tests can be debated all day, but, they remain a common pre-employment tool. That's not going to change any time soon. If there are incidents in your past, that you're worried about keeping from becoming a police officer, chances are they're going to be found out, regardless of the polygraph/CVSA. BI's tend to be pretty good at their jobs. No one is perfect, we all have stuff in our past. However, some people have stuff in their past that's going to keep them from becoming cops. If you're one of those, trust me, the polygraph/CVSA isn't the only thing that's going to hold you back. If you're not one of those people, stop stressing about it.
            R.I.P. #2083, You will never be forgotten.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matt. 5:9

Inmates seem really into counting the number of officers it took to take them down. If only their love of math had blossomed earlier.

Comment

Thanks for replying and the links to other posts. Puts my mind somewhat at ease knowing I'm not the only one who received a bad reading for whatever reason. (not blaming the BI). I'll just take this next one as relaxed as I can.

To answer the added question, on the first one I took (and passed) I received a politically correct answer of "There is nothing I see here that would immediately disqualify you, but we still have another investigator look over the results. You'll know within a month." On the second one where I was deemed deceptive, he told me right away he was putting that down as deceptive and good luck looking elsewhere. He even offered words of encouragement and said I'd get hired somewhere else and to keep looking. Swell guy...

Comment

I believe they are absolute junk science. But they are at least marginally more accurate than a flip of the coin

Only advice I can give is go in there confidently and be honest

Comment

I'll admit I lost a lot of faith in them after failing one while I was 100% honest. I'll just relax and take a leap of faith next time around.

Comment

I think is it is a stress test to see how you react. If you are nervous you usually don't do well (from observations of friends who haven't passed.)

Comment

The "results" of the poly are worthless. The whole thing is a sham to get you to change your story or admit to something. If you admitted to smoking pot 5 times, they might try to get you to say 5-10 times. Bam, you just lied now. DQ'd.

Comment

Originally posted by steve88 View Post
                        I just want to add a follow up question:

What did the examine say to you(sworn LEO's) at the end of the test in terms of passing or falling?

I wanted to start this topic but OP already did and that was the 1 question i really have, so instead of starting a new thread I just wanted to add...hope no one minds...sorry
                        After my polygraph she asked me how I thought I did. I was a little confused with how I should respond, so I told her I didn't know what reply she was looking for, but I was honest during my polygraph. She simply said that she didn't find any signs of deception so I did would be moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by MSP2012 View Post
                          After my polygraph she asked me how I thought I did. I was a little confused with how I should respond, so I told her I didn't know what reply she was looking for, but I was honest during my polygraph. She simply said that she didn't find any signs of deception so I did would be moving on.
                          I was asked something similar, and responded that I would hope it was good, because I told him the truth. He laughed, and said I did just fine.

In the end, I think its just modern tea leaf reading. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by PE12 View Post
                            I'll admit I lost a lot of faith in them after failing one while I was 100% honest. I'll just relax and take a leap of faith next time around.
                            Originally posted by Brand-O View Post
                            I think is it is a stress test to see how you react. If you are nervous you usually don't do well (from observations of friends who haven't passed.)
                            Originally posted by justind000 View Post
                            The "results" of the poly are worthless. The whole thing is a sham to get you to change your story or admit to something. If you admitted to smoking pot 5 times, they might try to get you to say 5-10 times. Bam, you just lied now. DQ'd.
                            Whether you have “lost faith” in them or think they are a “stress test” or think the “results are worthless”-------------------it doesn’t really matter what any of you think. What matters is what the administrators of the agency you are applying to think of the tests.

A polygraph is a part of the background investigation phase of the hiring process. Much like in a criminal investigation, the agency uses all the tools in its utility belt in order to the best “snapshot” of the applicant.

Years , no decades, of using a polygraph during criminal investigations have proven the worth of the poly………………AS AN INVESTIGATIVE TOOL. The background phase of the hiring process is just that -----an investigation.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11371 users online. 388 members and 10983 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X