300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on incorrigibility laws

Incorrigible means beyond control of parents. Under incorigibility laws, it could mean that a child is harmful to himself. If a child is only harmful to himself at home and no one else and is beyond the parents control, could the child be locked up for being a danger to himself and no one else? I need examples of incorrigibility laws. I know a child can end up in juvenile detention for breaking this law, but is the juvenile dentention only used if a juvenile criminal act and status offense like running away from home? Could a child be locked up for simply refusing to clean their room for a 100 times and talking back to their parrents? I know this law is only used in a few states. I am an adult. I have been researching this topic.
    Last edited by jpb1991; 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM.

Your question smacks of an academic endeavor, term paper ,thesis or other education related activity. If that's the case, you're likely to receive little help from this forum.r

Whatever the case, I suggest you personally research the Juvenile or Youthful Offenders laws of your particular state.

Many parents encounter behavior problems with their children. Most are able to very successfully resolve these problems without any recourse to the courts. Keep in mind that the police per se, are not in the business of raising other people's children.

Any intervention by a law enforcement agency is usually short term in nature, and the case(s) referred to the proper courts for action or adjudication.

Comment

It is not for college. It is something that I am researching myself. I guess smoking under 18 and using alcohol under 21 would be examples of harming onesself. I was referring to situations where a child could be locked up for jumping off of something. That is what I meant when I was refering to self harm.

I do not think a child would go to Juvenile Hall for jumping off of stuff and injurying himself. The child would go to a hospital and be watched. This topic is vague. I was reading it and I thought a child could be sent to juvenile hall for uncontrollably injurying himself.
      Last edited by jpb1991; 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpb1991 View Post
        Could a child be locked up for simply refusing to clean their room for a 100 times and talking back to their parrents?
        You can be in Indiana. Its a status offense, same as runaway. I've used it frequently when parents think 911 is 'Dial-a-Dad'. I'm not coming to parent your children.

IC 31-37-2-4
        Delinquent act; habitual disobedience of parent, guardian, or custodian
        Sec. 4. A child commits a delinquent act if, before becoming eighteen (18) years of age, the child habitually disobeys the reasonable and lawful commands of the child's parent, guardian, or custodian.
        As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.20.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Why would a child be locked up for not cleaning their room or talking back? Have children really been locked up for simple disobediance?
          Last edited by jpb1991; 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Here is California's law:

WIC 601. (a) Any person under the age of 18 years who persistently or
            habitually refuses to obey the reasonable and proper orders or
            directions of his or her parents, guardian, or custodian, or who is
            beyond the control of that person, or who is under the age of 18
            years when he or she violated any ordinance of any city or county of
            this state establishing a curfew based solely on age is within the
            jurisdiction of the juvenile court which may adjudge the minor to be
            a ward of the court.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Is a child locked up for these offenses or put into foster care?

Comment

If the minor is a threat to his own safety, a psych eval may be in order and that may cause the minor to be committed.

Comment

How can a child be locked up for refusing to clean his room? It does not make any sense to me. I read on the internet that incoribility is not simply refusing to clean a room. It is an out of control child that is a danger to himself or others.
                  Last edited by jpb1991; 12-10-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Is a child locked up for these offenses or put into foster care?
                    I'm at a loss. Which offenses are you talking about?

Comment

I am talking about a child refusing to clean their room. How can a child be sent to a detention center for refusing to clean their room several times?

Comment

You're not getting what everyone's saying. The kid isn't getting sent to detention for refusing to clean their room. He (or she) is being sent up for disobeying their parents or guardian, aka: being beyond parental control
                        Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

I am talking about a child refusing to clean their room. How can a child be sent to a detention center for refusing to clean their room several times?
                          I don't think anyone here has ever heard of this case. Perhaps if you could provide us with the case citation, we could look the case up, obtain a better understanding and give you an explanation. For that matter, you could take the case citation, go to a law library, look the case up and discover the court's logic in the matter all by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboy213 View Post
                            You're not getting what everyone's saying. The kid isn't getting sent to detention for refusing to clean their room. He (or she) is being sent up for disobeying their parents or guardian, aka: being beyond parental control
                            Look at post #4.
                            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Here, I woud tell the parent to act like a parent.
                              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6425 users online. 367 members and 6058 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X