300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Retirement

I see that some Departments say they have mandatory retirement at age 55. Is that only if your still at the rank of Police Officer? Or do you have to retire from the dept. regardless of rank?

The California Highway Patrol has a mandatory retirement age of 60 years of age, That applies to all uniformed, sworn personnel regardless of rank. The Commissioner is the only one who can work beyond 60 because that is a politically appointed position by the Governor.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I have to ask...Why a mandatory retirement age????
      My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
        Don’t know why, only the what.

18 Years ago the Federal Age Discrimination Act was amended to allow certain public safety employers to enact mandatory retirement ages and mandatory cut off ages for hiring.

This http://www.iaff.org/HS/PDF/ADEA.pdf explains a little bit about it.

Interestingly, as a condition of getting this amendment passed, the law required the Feds to develop a national physical performance test. If someone approaching mandatory retirement age did not want to retire, they were supposed to be able to take the Federal test. Each time they passed, they could continue to put off retirement for another year beyond the mandatory age. However, Congress never authorized funding to create the test. I would love to see someone approaching mandatory retirement age demand to take Fed test. According to the law he cannot be forcibly retired due to age until he fails a test that does not exist.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
          The odds are your 66 year old partner will be wearing dapers and will be grumpy since he did not get a nap before work.

The other thing is seniority. In the 1980s most officers retired after 20 to 30 years so even on a large department it took 7 years of seniority to land Day Shift with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. Can you imagine being on Swing Shift for 15 to 20 years or Graveyard shift for 10+ years when you do not want it?

Comment

Originally posted by Che View Post
            The odds are your 66 year old partner will be wearing dapers and will be grumpy since he did not get a nap before work.
            Hell, I'm grumpy when I don't get a nap before work.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone. I understand why they would not want someone in their mid 60's doing patrol work, but I do not understand why it would be an issue for the department to have a captain who is 61 for instance. Call me (very) optimistic but I'm hoping to live till I'm 100 lol and 40 years of retirement sounds pretty boring to me lol

Comment

Great for the 61 year old Captain not so great for the LTs hoping to moove up
                sigpic Welcome to Sierra Vista

Comment

ten08 hit it on the head...no mandatory retirement age creates stagnation in the ranks.

Comment

Ours is 63 yoa, all ranks. This was changed from no age limit about 13 yrs ago when the 1st Dep. Supt (#2 in the Dept.) decided to retire at 68 yoa. Then the 63 came in. BTW, the 1st Dep Supt. was on the mayor's Daddy's bodyguard unit and shuffled the then, future mayor Daley to school and such when he was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                      Hell, I'm grumpy when I don't get a nap before work.
                      I'm grumpy ALL the time...
                      My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Alabama personnel regulations mandate retirement for all Merit System Classifications at age 70.An employee can work past age 70 provided a doctor certifies him fit for duty based on an annual physical exam. Very few LE officers work to this age. Mandatory retirement apples regardless of rank.

Comment

Originally posted by trooperdan911 View Post
                          Thanks for the answers everyone. I understand why they would not want someone in their mid 60's doing patrol work, but I do not understand why it would be an issue for the department to have a captain who is 61 for instance. Call me (very) optimistic but I'm hoping to live till I'm 100 lol and 40 years of retirement sounds pretty boring to me lol
                          Departments are generally, and properly, bottom-heavy. They don't need a high percentage of brass. And then there are a number of officers who have no desire to promote, and others who have no aptitude. Just being old doesn't mean he's competent. Does he have 25 years of experience or one year 25 times?

I am looking forward to retirement. I'll finally have enough free time to do what I really want to do.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

State of California & San Jose PD would love to increase the retirement age.
                            I don't know how to describe the "formula" but if you have worked from age 21 & have paid into the retirement system after 30+ years, you are losing money. (L-1 can probably explain it.)
                            Also, your older officers are maxed out on pay & their benefits may be better than new officers so agencies (at least in California) are offering incentives for veterans to retire. Newer officers are cheaper.
                            But on a more practical note, LE is a very physically demanding job. Older officers are not always as "productive" as newer/younger officers. (Although there are many young slugs. )

Comment

I do not remember if the Royal Canadian Mounted Police has a mandatory age for retirement any longer, but if our Regular Members are not physically fit (per RCMP authorized Doctor's evaluation) to discharge duties and could not pass their annual firearms re-qualification, then they have to pull the pin. When I left 2 years ago with 35+ years, there were some RM in my Division with 40+ years that were STILL on duty (and I think STILL are!)

I left when I did because I KNEW they were going to laterally transfer me back to General Duties, either here, or somewhere else, and I did NOT want to do that. I just got my pension pay-stub in the mail the other day, and even met with one of my old partners and clerk today at work; I am VERY happy to be out.
                              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4233 users online. 235 members and 3998 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X