Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on carrying work shield?

First off, I am not a police officer.

Now that we have that out of the way...My agency is part of a county in NY, legitimate civil service job, tier 5, pension, benefits, everything. The agency issues us shields that are police style. Only thing is they say the agency, and do not say "police officer" on it. As far as I know we need to have some type of shield number for the tickets we write. Also we do NOT carry weapons.

Now the question, what would your thoughts be if you pulled me over and I had a duplicate of the shield in a wallet with my work ID next to it. The majority of my co-workers have duplicates and carry their shields but I don't know if it is a good idea since they look identical to police shields at a distance thus can create confusion and somehow be interpreted as "impersonating a police officer."

I would be more worried about the robbery suspect that is jacking you for your stuff that sees your 'shield' and decides to execute you (and possibly everyone with you) on the spot because he thinks you are a cop
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
      I would be more worried about the robbery suspect that is jacking you for your stuff that sees your 'shield' and decides to execute you (and possibly everyone with you) on the spot because he thinks you are a cop
      Damn, I didn't even think of that. Definitely not getting a badge wallet, thank you for pointing that out

Comment

IS it illegal for a civilian to own a police badge if its part of a collection of police memorabilia or something along those lines? i have a friend that collects badges and we've had this discussion many times about whether it's illegal to own them.

Comment

Steve....While it is not illegal to carry your badge. if you show it and try to get someone to act because he believes you are a cop, that is criminal impersonation. What does your agency say about carrying the badce? And does your agency permit the possession of dupes?
          Last edited by Dinosaur32; 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve88 View Post
            Damn, I didn't even think of that. Definitely not getting a badge wallet, thank you for pointing that out
            Here is a very young Deputy from my agency that this happened to:

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14952-de...ne-daniel-york
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
              Steve....While it is not illegal to catty your badge. if you show it and try to get someone to act because he believes you are a cop, that is criminal impersonation. What does your agency say about carrying the badce? And does your agency permit the possession of dupes?
              To be quite honest, some people I work with truly think they are police officers...It's quite embarrassing. I don't quite understand the point of them carrying their shield. I tossed around the idea but I couldn't think of any purpose it would have. Personally, I would never show it to anyone for any reason, especially not to stop a crime because its simply not my place.

Agency is a joke. The department manual was last updated in 2002. It mentions nothing in regards to duplicates or carrying shield "off duty."

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
              Here is a very young Deputy from my agency that this happened to:

odmp.org/officer/14952-deputy-sheriff-shayne-daniel-york
              Wow, that is horrible

Comment

Now that we have that out of the way...My agency is part of a county in NY, legitimate civil service job, tier 5, pension, benefits, everything. The agency issues us shields that are police style. Only thing is they say the agency, and do not say "police officer" on it. As far as I know we need to have some type of shield number for the tickets we write. Also we do NOT carry weapons.

Now the question, what would your thoughts be if you pulled me over and I had a duplicate of the shield in a wallet with my work ID next to it. The majority of my co-workers have duplicates and carry their shields but I don't know if it is a good idea since they look identical to police shields at a distance thus can create confusion and somehow be interpreted as "impersonating a police officer."
                If you are going to carry a weapon off duty, it is generally required that you carry your badge and Departmental Identification Card. If you are not carrying a weapon, leave the badge at home and carry your ID card behind your drivers license. As LA Dep stated, a robber may not think twice. We have had a few LEOs killed off-duty when a persoanl robbery disclosed the officer was carrying a badge and no weapon.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Abit2585 View Post
                  IS it illegal for a civilian to own a police badge if its part of a collection of police memorabilia or something along those lines? i have a friend that collects badges and we've had this discussion many times about whether it's illegal to own them.
                  Yes, it is legal for civilians to possess a LE badge in a personal collection. What is not legal is to carry that badge on their person in hopes of being recognized as a LEO - that is impersonation!
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I am not a cop either (anymore) . Nor am I covered under LEOSA.

I am, however a uniformed Law Enforcement Officer ...................sound funny, yep a real gray area but when out of uniform I am just like Joe Blow Citizen

I have a badge, it never leaves my uniform shirt except to change shirts. If you see me anywhere you can assume I am carrying a gun.. I carry two items in my wallet in conjunction with that gun. My work ID and my weapons carry permit. BOTH look very similar to my drivers license.

If I screw up and get stopped by a police officer---------------------the last thing I want that officer to know is that this old retired officer was stupid enough to get pulled over.. He wont' know my status as a LEO until after he has decided what to do .

In case you don't' believe me----the last time I was issued a citation , as I was signing the ticket I told the deputy that I used to wear the same badge he was wearing......not only the same department but he had my old badge number

Like I said, I knew better
                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The only reason for those guys to carry a badge is to pretend to be something they aren't or to flash it to try and get out of traffic tickets.

Reminds me of the conversations on here years ago when TSA guys were carrying cloth badges in a badge wallet and flashing it on traffic stops.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

In NYC, a LOT of agencies have shields, including Sanitation, Fire, Parks, DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) and not even just their officers, but also the guy's who dig holes for water mains. You can go to a police store and find shields for many jobs that don't officially issue them.

That's why I never react to a shield alone and always take the time to read what the shield says. I won't arrest you for impersonating if you aren't, but the shield isn't buying you any additional courtesy either.
                        “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                          If you are going to carry a weapon off duty, it is generally required that you carry your badge and Departmental Identification Card. If you are not carrying a weapon, leave the badge at home and carry your ID card behind your drivers license. As LA Dep stated, a robber may not think twice. We have had a few LEOs killed off-duty when a persoanl robbery disclosed the officer was carrying a badge and no weapon.
                          Not meaning to shift the focus of the thread, but is your ID really small enough to fit behind your driver's license?

Comment

Um....how big is yours?
                            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                              Um....how big is yours?
                              Just a little smaller than a 3x5 index card, just eyeballing it.

EDIT: Just measured them (it's two cards). Both are 2 7/8" x 4 3/4", give or take an 1/8th of an inch or so.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1501 users online. 107 members and 1394 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X