300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Slow down: Cops ahead!" sign

On a messageboard I frequent, a member claimed that there is an area near his school where LEOs often sit and catch speeders. He went on to say some students made a sign warning drivers of their presence. He claims that the students were taken away by police and that he doesn't know what happened to them.

Obviously holding a sign like this would slow traffic. It is conceivable that LEOs could be aggrivated by not catching speeders as they intend. Is holding such a sign up considered obstruction of justice? How would you react to such a situation and would something like this bother you?

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I think I'd LMAO over it, and move on to someplace else. I've never known a DA who would go with "obstructing justice" on this.

I suppose you COULD nail them for "interference" but I doubt it would ever get to court.

Why don't you try it, and see what happens.
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

It seems to me that the purpose of traffic enforcement is to deter unsafe vehicle operation. I think when I have someone stopped, whether or not I issue a citation, passers by assume that I will and adjust their driving in order to avoid "being next." Often, I will sit on the side of a roadway and catch up on some paperwork. Passing motorists don't know what I am doing. They ASSUME I am doing traffic enforcement and they slow down. I am detering. Following this logic, it seems that someone warning motorists is only helping to create a safer environment. Aren't they?
      C. Davis

"Let us not forget those who gave their tomorrows for our todays"

Comment

Here is a twist

To help deter drug trade in one of my low-income area's, I would sit in front of a suspects house with all my lights on and complete reorts that held over. Suspect came out one night to ask me to leave, I replied that it was a public street and wished him a nice day.

Comment

It would be great if they held up the signs when officers AREN'T there also, slowing everybody down.
          Paul

Comment

When I was still on my department (does this dound like the start of a war story?) there was a residential street that cut between two major thoroughfares. It was extra wide, enough for cars parked on both sides and two directions of traffic.

We received complaints regularly about speeders, and I was often assigend directed enforcement there. There was a telephone company little substation near one end with bushes where I could sit in the drive, facing traffic but pretty well hidden.

I could knock off a ticket within 1-2 minutes of setting up, and upon returning from every stop. It was a target rich enviornment.

One afternoon I had written several and then realized that every car was going 30, so I decided to knock off and resume patrol. As I was leaving the area I saw a huge cardboard sign that read "Warning, Radar Ahead, Cop Hiding".

Comment

Originally posted by txinvestigator2
              When I was still on my department (does this dound like the start of a war story?)
              (In my best "John Wayne" voice)

Wall say there Pilgrim, ya got sumpin' against war stories?
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

In a technical sense, I suppose this could be obstruction or interfering and someone could write a citation on it. But I think a judge would be hard-pressed to uphold it. I seriuosly doubt the students were arrested over this alone.

On the other hand, if the police made contact with them and they started getting lippy, I suppose a Disorderly Conduct or Obstruction charge could result. Or, a regular check of their identities could result in some wants or warrants.

I've heard of officers pulling drivers over for flashing their headlights at oncoming traffic (supposedly the universal signal for COP AHEAD!), but I think they'd run into the same court problems if they actually cited someone for it.

I've often positioned myself a couple of blocks down from our radar speedboard. When I do, I offer very little discretion in speed in such circumstances. I figure if they didn't take the warning the speed board gave them, they've got it coming.
                Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                  I've often positioned myself a couple of blocks down from our radar speedboard. When I do, I offer very little discretion in speed in such circumstances. I figure if they didn't take the warning the speed board gave them, they've got it coming.
                  I love to read most anything I can get my hands on, and one day I got ahold of one of those "How to get out of a ticket" books. The Author actually told drivers to speed up when he/she sees one of the radar speedboards, that the device actually is keeping track of the speed of all drivers (traffic survey) and that in speeding up the driver is helping all of mankind.

Comment

re:

When I run traffic, my goal is to get people to slow down. My cousin does the morning traffic update for the local radio stations. Whenever I am sitting on the main highway running laser, I always call him to tell him where I am sitting. He will then put out my location on the air so everyone knows where I am sitting, and they slow down when they pass through my city.
                    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

In the UK were speed cameras are in use you have to have warning signs. In fact there are dozens all over the town I work, the mobile camera units also put out signs yet motorists still speed ! Camera warning signs are often erected miles from any camera, but if you don't know the area would you risk speeding ?

Headlight flashing is also common here, but I doubt a prosecution would get past the Crown Prosecution Service.

Lobster.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5062 users online. 382 members and 4680 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X