Any Freemasons LEOS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Freemasons LEOS?

I was wondering, if there were any LEO's that were Freemason's before or after they became sworned. I was just accepted as a Freemason because I enjoy doing stuff for the community and I was wondering how it is to be a Freemason and a LEO. I am currently being BI and will I meet any Freemason's in LE if I become an Officer? Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be great either here or PM.

Thanks all in advance.
    Last edited by mprado; 06-10-2012, 05:48 PM.

We had a great little thread on this over on the General LE board I believe. I am a Mason, and became one after I was sworn, though I was interested in the craft long before I was a LEO...

Depending on where you are will depend on how many LEOs in your area are involved in Masonry. In Texas, it's common in many areas, especially among state Troopers...

It doesn't impact my job at all... my boss isn't a Mason, though I've had supervisors that have been, when I was raised, my Sergeant at the time was on my degree team. A person's status as a Mason doesn't impact law enforcement decisions that I take against or for them. After all, in Masonry we are taught to make decisions and act in the best interest of God, then family, then our job, then for the good of Masonry.

Any other questions?
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

I once worked a traffic accident involving a mason. He was an elderly fellow, roughly 85 years old. He had pulled into a 4 way intersection then brought his vehicle to a complete stop, placed the vehicle in reverse, and proceeded to colliding with the vehicle behind him. The poor guy didn’t know where he was and really was much too old to be operating a vehicle. As the processing of the scene came to an end, the elderly guy stated how much he appreciated my actions and handed me a mason coffee cup, flyer, and instructional DVD. He gave me his phone number and we parted ways.

At the time I was very, very young, and didn’t have a clue what or who the Masons were. I also had stuck in my head to "not accept bribes" or anything during official LEO duties. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have taken up the old man on his offer. I would like to be more involved with official organizations in my community.
      If its worth doing, then it's worth doing right.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
        We had a great little thread on this over on the General LE board I believe. I am a Mason, and became one after I was sworn, though I was interested in the craft long before I was a LEO...

Depending on where you are will depend on how many LEOs in your area are involved in Masonry. In Texas, it's common in many areas, especially among state Troopers...

It doesn't impact my job at all... my boss isn't a Mason, though I've had supervisors that have been, when I was raised, my Sergeant at the time was on my degree team. A person's status as a Mason doesn't impact law enforcement decisions that I take against or for them. After all, in Masonry we are taught to make decisions and act in the best interest of God, then family, then our job, then for the good of Masonry.

Any other questions?
        You answered it quite well. Thank you. I was not sure how to ask without offending anyone.

Comment

Ask away, feel free to PM, and I'll answer what I can...
          sigpic
          Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

I am a Mason as well. Being a young mason and a young officer have a lot of things in common. Number 1....keep your mouth shut and eyes open. Never be afraid to ask questions but you will learn a lot by listening and watching. Good luck in your journey brother.

Comment

Originally posted by PennBlue View Post
              I was wondering, if there were any LEO's that were Freemason's before or after they became sworned. I was just accepted as a Freemason because I enjoy doing stuff for the community and I was wondering how it is to be a Freemason and a LEO. I am currently being BI and will I meet any Freemason's in LE if I become an Officer? Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be great either here or PM.

Thanks all in advance.

I've never been a Mason, and I've never been "sworned" either. I was sworn for many years, but never a Mason. That said, I've known many Masons who were LE Officers. Great ones too.

Comment

I am. Started in Pomona Lodge #246 in CA. At one time in the 70s my father, two uncles a cousin and I were all members of teh same lodge. In fact we were all in the line together. I never found any conflict between the two. Each has their place in my life and each was a priority when I was working. Always wear my ring. I believe in the tenants of the fraternity and subscribe to its beliefs and practices towards the brotherhood of man.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

It's a conspiracy!!! You're trying to take over the world!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I think all the conspiracy theories surrounding the Masons are hilarious -- like a bunch of old men from around the world could keep a secret like that AND pull it off.

Personally, I'm not a Mason as some of their beliefs conflict with my religious convictions ("making good men better" is pretty much the antithesis of biblical teaching), but as an American I have no problem whatsoever with anyone joining a service organization. Just make sure, like a previous poster, your membership does NOT affect your decisions on the job. No favoritism!
                  Last edited by mac266; 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM.
                  MAC

Comment

Not a LEO (yet) but am a Mason, and I find much in common with the fraternal outlook of both groups. Although, to the OP, brother you should hopefully know, as well as I, that looking to use your Masonic affiliation to your personal advantage can very easily be seen in a negative light, both by the public and your brothers. Think back on your earliest lessons, and you will find what I am trying to say boiled down to one word. Use it.
                    SCHP TCO

Freemason

Comment

Is Masonry centered around religion/the belief in God? Can agnostics and atheists be free masons? If they are allowed, would it be rare to find agnostics/atheists (does it cater at all to them)? Don't know really anything about the free masons, but am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
                        Is Masonry centered around religion/the belief in God? Can agnostics and atheists be free masons? If they are allowed, would it be rare to find agnostics/atheists (does it cater at all to them)? Don't know really anything about the free masons, but am curious.
                        Each must believe in a Greater Master, The Creator. Masonry has deep roots in religion; yet, they hold no specific religion - Protestant, Jewish, Catholic, Muslim, etc. are all welcome. If one is an agnostic or a non-believer, one would find it extremely difficult to advance beyond the application process. That being said, Masonry, those religiously based, is not a religion. It is a fraternal organization made up of men who enjoy bettering their communities and passing down the true tenants of the brotherhood. Modern Masonry can be traced back in history long before the world was made into what it is today. They do not preach or condone hate. prejudice, anti-gpvernment, politcal upheavel, discourse or negativism. They are pro family, Pro law, pro community, pro education and are willing to die for their country, if need be. And, many have. Going back to the Norman Conquests and beyond. Masons come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religious backgrounds and do not beg for acceptance. They work behind the scenes. I am proud to be a Mason.
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

Thanks for that info.

Comment

Unfortunately, I have seen an aspect of Masonry in a segment of my local SO that infuriates me. Favoritism and refusal to serve on brothers, among other things.

It may not represent the vast majority, but it surely is enought to sour me.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                              Unfortunately, I have seen an aspect of Masonry in a segment of my local SO that infuriates me. Favoritism and refusal to serve on brothers, among other things.

It may not represent the vast majority, but it surely is enought to sour me.
                              One way to get around the issue is to approach one of them, ask for an application and join. It certainly cannot hurt and you may learn something to help you overcome your dislikes. Afterall, isn't being a LEO somewhat a brotherhood of favoritism? I spent over thirty years in LEO and there are many cliques that favor one-another. Don't crash on Masonry for doing what others do - Elks, Eagles, Odd Fellows, American Legion, VFW, etc. They all play the favoritism roll. Ever try to enter a lodge building of any of the fraternaties? Only members and their guests are permitted. That is favoritism. That is society!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10518 users online. 412 members and 10106 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X