Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ert / swat

Hello,

I know every agency calls their swat team something different, but I was curious on when your placed on the team if you get to choose your role. I have always wanted to operate a long range rifle, and didn't know how they choose who would be a sniper on a team. Would it be different for every call or the same person every time?

Thanks for any insight!

Every team is different. Every team trains differently. Every team decided assignments differently.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
      Every team is different. Every team trains differently. Every team decided assignments differently.

M-11
      Yep

Comment

You can request but you have to be selected. Those fancy rifles are too expensive to buy for everyone. I initially wanted to be a sniper but once I started breaching, I lost interest in crawling around in the woods and getting bit by red bugs. I did go buy a sniper rifle to play with and can put three in a dime at 200 but I usually do it in Bermuda shorts.
        If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

I could never be a sniper. I don't have the patience to sit still for that long.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

With my Agency, it's "Trooper Tactical Team". You don't select them, they select you, usually after about three to five years of service. The Team Commander(s) determine the role and positions within the team.

Comment

All above are correct.
              Personally, lugging around a heavy-barrel Remington 700 is a high-drag nuisance.
              I am usually shield-man or third-in, and would not trade my team position for sniper role. It just is not my thing.
              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Our snipers are calm, cool and collectively! Our TL assigns that position and there is a lot of behind the scenes documentation. They have to document every round that comes out of that rifle. They can have that job, I enjoy being on the entry team too much!
                Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

LOL- My post ^^ is sort of ironic if you look at my avatar!!!!!!!
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I was an EST guy in my younger days s a SP. We all avoided the "Marksman" assignment if we could because laying on the tar/gravel roof with a heavy wool blanket for a pad SUCKED. I'd rather be the shield if it's a sunny day over 80F

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

As long as you call yourself an "operator" its all good.
                      For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                        As long as you call yourself an "operator" its all good.
                        There you go! Haha
                        Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Hi I'm Joe Bichen and I'm newly assigned to SWAT. I just wanted to let you all know that I picked myself for this assignment and I plan on being the scout, starting now.
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

OP, you don't "operate" a rifle, you shoot it. Quit trying to be tacticool.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Sorry for the whole "operate vs shoot" thing. I wasn't trying to be someone I am not. Again, you guys are always so helpful and it is much appreciated. I find out in roughly 2-4 weeks if I get an offer. It has been a long road and I feel this process has went the best because of past experiences and everything I have learned on here.

Thanks again!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5477 users online. 184 members and 5293 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X